Fire shuts down Bunnell laundromat


Staff Report

Last update: 07 September 2003


BUNNELL -- A loose gas connection on a clothes dryer Saturday afternoon caused a fire that shut down Bunnell Cleaners and Laundromat, Fire Department officials said.

Firefighters wouldn't put a dollar estimate on the damage, but said the U.S. 1 business would be closed indefinitely.

The fire began when gas escaping from a loose hose was ignited by a pilot light in the dryer. Twenty-five firefighters from four Flagler County fire departments put out the blaze.

Bunnell Fire Department officials said they were surprised a fire started at the location because they had checked it about 30 minutes earlier when neighbors complained about chemical smells in a unit next door. Firefighters said the chemical smell came from cleaning solvents.