Thread: Gps

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Gps

HELLO, EVERYONE
    WHEN OPERATING BRUSH TRUCKS DO YOU HAVE ANY GPS UNITS?
    IF SO WHAT TYPE DO YOU LIKE AND WILL IT PLOT YOUR COUSE AS YOU GO IN, SO THAT YOU KNOW WERE YOU HAVE GONE..........THANK YOU.
    DEAN

Sr. Information Officer

Lightbulb

Dean, I can only offer my experience with handheld units. Our wildland engines do not have units mounted on the dash. Either type will indicate your position and track your movement. Permanent dash mounted units will usually have a larger, more detailed display.

I currently use a Garmin 12CX and a Garmin MAP76S. (Both are handheld)The 12CX is no longer available, however, the 76S has only come on the market recently. The unit comes loaded with a basemap of major roads, highways, rivers, landmarks and railroads, but does not indicate all local streets on it's display. It has 24MB of internal storage available, which allows you to download detailed maps available from your dealer. Various programs are available, including street maps, topo maps and marine navigation maps. Obviously, the more detailed map will show your proximity to local streets.

In any event, your GPS unit's "TRACK" function will display your movement on whichever map you have loaded. There will be an indicator of your current position and a line indicating where you have been. It will indicate your heading, speed, distance traveled, elevation and more. You have the ability to store your entry point, trailheads, trail intersects, etc., as "WAYPOINTS" in your unit. A function called "GO TO" will give you distance and heading to navigate to any of those waypoints. The "TRACKBACK" function is another way to allow you to navigate back to your starting point.

In short...yes, a GPS unit will indicate where you are, where you've been and when prompted...will indicate how to navigate to any given point.

I have numerous "WAYPOINTS" programmed into my units. Firetower locations, urban/interface structures, trailheads, access roads, water drafting sources are among them. This allows me to know my proximity to those locations at all times. This can be used to assist in hoselays, crew access, air support and gives us the ability to monitor a fire's progress towards residential areas that adjoin the forested areas. We also use the GPS units to map fires, determine acreage and can print the fire's footprint on topo maps.

As always, necessity is the mother of invention. Use it to fit your applications and needs. If you have a local search and rescue unit...they probably have some experience with GPS navigation, and may be able to answer questions and provide input. Give them a call!

Good luck!

NJ
    Last edited by NJFFSA16; 09-09-2003 at 12:25 PM.
    Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

Thread Information