Question transfering to other dept.????

I was recently hired by a fire dept. that is very far from where I grew up. I love the job and feel very fortunate to have one but i hate it when i am not at work because I just don't like the area or surrondering area. I have been thinking about transfering to a dept. that is closer to home and I was wondering what is the options are of others on the issue of transfering... any option would be much appreciated.

thanks

Forum Member

I'm not sure, is it another Dept in Ontario you are thinking of transfering to? If not I would say your chances are slim, unless ofcourse you know the right people. There is no real standard of qualification in this country, and ofcourse its a popular job so there will be a large number of applicants. I dont believe there would be any way for you to transfer any seniority from one dept to another.
    A'int No Rocket Scientist's in The Firehall

Forum Member

Some Departments have recognized the benefit of "raiding" other Departments. Burlington is one example. They will recognize a wage step below what you left if they hire you.
    I know that more and more Departments are looking for experience. The last time Markham posted they specifically stated they were looking for applicants with full time experience. If you happen on one of those Departments then you may be lucky. Otherwise you're starting from scratch all over again.
    Good Luck

Default transfer

sorry for taking so long to reply my access to a computer is limited.

My delmia is not that i will have to start all over again (and it would be a ontario dept that i would be transfering to) its that i feel bad for leaving a dept. that took a chance on me and hired me over the all the others that they could have choosen. Plus I would also not be looking forward to telling my fellow FF that I am leaving becasue I am not sure if they would be ****ed or not care.....but then on the other side transfering would be a lot better for me....so i have been stressing out a bit over this........

any advice is much appreciated

Forum Member

If you don't like it where you are you should transfer for sure.

Forum Member

haydeno, Dont feel bad, Sooner or later most of us come to the conclusion that to our employer we are only a number, a warm body that is there only because they cannot get away with less personel. You are instantly replaceable.
    A'int No Rocket Scientist's in The Firehall

Forum Member

Default Canada

Check in with the folks at New Recruit in Canada here: http://www.new-recruit.com

Captain Bob

www.eatstress.com

Thread Information