Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Question Fire- EMS intragration

What are peoples opinion on Fire and EMS services Intragrating into one service? Therefore everyone in the service haveing to have their EMT as well as their fire.

Oh, you have no idea what a hot topic you've just started! That is the age-old question pertaining to what is best, municipal fire/ems or private ems.

There are several postings on Firehouse about pros & cons of every kind of EMS. I am distinctly pro-fire (municipal) ems, as I see it integrating emergency services in a fiscally responsible way. I see it as more job security for firefighters who will cross train in fire/ems, and often better pay, benefits, and retirement (can't speak of Canadian fire service, aye!). Fire-based EMS allows people the opportunity to learn more than just fire and more than just medical.

I would be remiss in my duties to say fire is the only way. There are other systems where private or hospital-based works smoothly, and that's good for them. It often depends on the situation, as some departments aren't ready for the whole load.
    ~Kevin
    Firefighter/Paramedic
    --^v--^v--^v--^v--
    Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong
    Dennis Miller

Wink

it's eh! not aye.........

Thumbs up

Why, thank you my good neighbour! See, ya learn something new everyday!
    ~Kevin
    Firefighter/Paramedic
    --^v--^v--^v--^v--
    Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong
    Dennis Miller

I don't post often but here I go. I work in a county where fire ems integration was attempted. One fire/ems manager and seperate fire and ems divisions. This county is strictly volunteer fire and full-time ems. Bottom line was it did not work. Now let me state that most fire/ems staff get along great. That was not the issue. Problems were at the higher levels of management. Too much work for the bosses. And as the call statistics showed ems was getting too many calls to not be its own division. Also, i don't think that vollie with full time was a great thing either, especially with the two "different" jobs. I quote different as we go to a lot of the same calls. Now, I think each respective division can concentrate on its own group of guys more closely and keep them all happier. We all like attention right? So, I think you really have to look at your own situation and see if it will work for you. Personally, i like the U.S. model of cross training fire as emt's but let's be fair and train more medic's with fire skills (especially rescue) in canada. I know where i work that 9 out of 10 times we beat fire to the call and have to wait for extrication. And yes i am primarily EMS but also vollie fire. Everyone is always talking about scene times so lets improve them. I will end these comments however by saying that i am also not stupid enough to step on toes or take someones job. This is a very touchy subject and would have to be approached correctly.

I know this thread is a little old, but let me toss in my $.02 worth. We are a volly dept. with 40 members and as of Dec. 29/03 we will be a composite dept. and are looking forward to it immensly. We have purchased 3 new Crestline rigs hired 13 fire medics, and this is going to work for our dept. because we want it to work, both ffs. and medics. We are going to have a few growing pains no doubt but we have a great administration and have a city council that backs us up 110%

Thread Information