MembersZone Subscriber

Question Journeyman Plumber with a question?!?

First of all, thanks for your self-sacrificing service! Secondly, I am a union-trained journeyman plumber. I am presently working towards entering into the fire service and I expect to soon be hired (this will be a significant pay cut for the first couple of years). I guess the question that I have to ask you guys and gals is this: If I were to start a plumbing business to suppliment my income, and in this business I offerend significant discounts for all firefighters, police officers, and military, would this be something that interested you if you needed an excellent plumber for an even better price?

Thanks!

Forum Member

Where were you in June when my shower flooded my house when I was away???!!!

You will find if you join the Fire Service, there will be people with all sorts of trades and skills. Many people keep themselves going with another job, its is almost the norm in the British fire service. There is also the tradition of helping one another out. You may need the services of an electrician in return. Always keep your skills level up.
    United Kingdom branch, IACOJ.

Forum Member

In my opinion (IMO), being a great plumber would speak for itself, and you wouldn't need discounted prices to bring in business. Secondly, I imagine having that trade and being part of fire service, the network is going to work for you in that SOMEONE will need a good plumber and your name will be mentioned. My advice would be this: operate your business honestly, being fair to yourself and the customers alike. You need to make money, and you deserve compensation for a skill that most do not have. When it comes to helping firefighters, maybe pass along the savings you get between retail & wholesale, but make sure your time is covered. You certainly have the right idea having this other profession to supplement income. Landscaping for me works pretty well, except that I can't "schedule" snowstorms in the winter. Good luck!
    ~Kevin
    Firefighter/Paramedic
    --^v--^v--^v--^v--
    Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong
    Dennis Miller

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for the replies guys! I didn't want to come off sounding like an opportunist. So if anyone who read this thought so, sorry. This is just an idea that I have been bouncing off friends and family and I thought that I'd ask opinions from the "source". Thanks again!

Forum Member

You could offer them a discount on you work as a professional courtesy. I wouldn't make it "significant", as there are those who do plumbing as a living that would use your "discount" and working as a firefighter against you. God knows there are plenty of plumbing jobs around. You could could concentrate on doing the "small jobs" that others could not be bothered to do.

I have an automotive detailing venture, and offer a discount to fire/police/EMS personnel.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by CaptainGonzo
    I have an automotive detailing venture, and offer a discount to fire/police/EMS personnel.
    So I guess we know where to find the shiniest trucks and cruisers in town eh?
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Thread Information