55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking OSHA STATES.....................

There are some states where OSHA doesn't apply. They're in Mexico........ Stay Safe....
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Re: OSHA STATES.....................

Originally posted by hwoods
    There are some states where OSHA doesn't apply. They're in Mexico........ Stay Safe....
    Oh yeah, so how are those plans for the Mexican Fire Dept coming along Hwoods? Winter's coming, and I could go for a little south of the border (x2) internship about January.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

I'm a late comer to this conversation, however as both a civilian FF and an Army Geek working with the Navy (or is that Never Again Volunteer Yourself?), I also have the milspec "Dork Glasses". The prescription is about 10yrs old, but good enough to see with, if I needed too. However except in armed combat, I have found I can see well enough without them, when I need to.

On a side note, my dept has purchased the spectacle kit for our BA's but its at my cost (for the first run) to purchase the lenses for them. At almost $100.00 for lenses, for the time being anyway, I am content to work as I have for the navy... without them. Other than finding the fire because of the Big Red Glow, for the type of work that I have been required to do, I find that clear sight is not really needed - I need them to drive with, but I don't drive with a BA on and can see well enough otherwise.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

The kit itself was a bargan at under $20.00, but like two-7 says, having the lenses made for them is a lot more $$$ (I was looking at alternative ways of cutting the costs, but it was placed on the back burner for other projects... there never seems to be enough time to get all of them done...)
    "No one ever called the Fire Department for doing something smart..."

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Lenses Costs

I had my prescription lenses put in my inserts for $60.00.

I wear bifocals, but only had single vision lenses put in the inserts.

I also had them done when I get my new glasses and prescription sunglasses, which cost me $480, so maybe they felt sorry for me at LensCrafters.
    "The uniform is supposed to say something about you. You get it for nothing, but it comes with a history, so do the right thing when you're in it."
    Battalion Chief Ed Schoales
    from 'Report from Ground Zero' pg 149
    I.A.C.O.J. Member

Forum Member

Default ??? HUH ??

Once again.....I inquire......Why in the world would you buy something out of your pocket that your department is (by LAW!) required to provide?????

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool

The scott insert works very good I have one that I use. The department paid for them

Keep it simple. I wear soft contacts. I have been on the job 6 years and haven't had a problem yet due to heat or any or the urban legends.

NFPA 1500- states that the use of soft contacts is acceptable. Ifsta 4th addition. I did my home work on this issue, so it wouldn't comeback to haunt me if i was injured. They also make day and night contacts, so you can sleep in them.

Good luck

I keep reading about regulations??

Your departments all have their own sop's, guidelines, practical applications and standards.

Don't preach your departments regulations to others if they don't apply. False information can screw someones career. I can talk about retirement issues, but who else has 3%@50 ? Many don't so why give you advice.

Read your own departments sop's and standards. Also cross referance NFPA 1500 and OSHA regs. It's your career and safety, so do research and take advice with a grain of salt. If you are injured due to contacts, what are you going to tell your city manager? Uh a guy on firehouse. com said it's ok!

I haven't had a problem with contacts and it clearly states in NFPA that if you have worn contacts for 6 months with no problems it is ok to use them with the scba. But still check out what your dept. says!

Good luck and sorry for the soap box, but watch your back when it comes to your career and your personal safety!

Forum Member

Default Contact regulations

Having three members of my family as instructors here in Michigan, I get a lot of info. The only regulation currently put out through NFPA requires that the user of the mask must have worn contact lenses for a year prior without any problems or difficulties. You do not need to prove it. If you have worn contact lense with no problems you may wear them while using an SCBA.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting that vote." -Benjamin franklin

"There is nothing wrong with America that can not be cured with what is right with America" -Henry Clay

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff
    Once again.....I inquire......Why in the world would you buy something out of your pocket that your department is (by LAW!) required to provide?????
    FWDbuff... I see that you're stating the employer is required by law to provide the mask obviously... but where precisely are you interpreting they are required to provide the corrective lenses?

I am asking because I am unable to find exactly where that is stated, and I have an employee I'm representing going through this exact predicament,

Thanks,

Scott

Thread Information