Forum Member

Default Finally doing it

after years of wanting to join my town's FD but not being able to, either due to work and school schedules, lack of a vehical, etc.. i am finally doing it. i am out of college and have nothin to stand in my way. Guess i dont really have a point to this post other then to say that I am wicked excited.

Forum Member

Anybody have any interesting stories about how and when you decided to join the fire dept? what made you decide to join, things you love the most about being part of it, etc..?

Forum Member

Welcome to a new world! Glad you joined.
    Ryan

I.A.C.O.J. Probie

You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing which you think you cannot do. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Lets not forget those lost on 9-11-01

Forum Member

Backdraft made me decide to join. After working for years to get certifications, make connections, and so on, I still did not have a full time job, nor a prospect of such. I began filling out papers to apply for Ohio State for pre-med, to eventually become a trauma surgeon, I got a call from the dept I work for now, saying my number was up and wanting to know if I wanted to fill out a background packet. After working my butt off for a month completing this, and waiting another 6 months for the background, I was given an interview, then a week later, another interview, 3 weeks after that, I started working

Forum Member

You will have 1 regret....that you didn't join sooner.
    I didn't join the fire service until 25 y.o. I wish I joined earlier in my life. I missed years of experience. I had the same excuses as you. School, work, etc, etc. When I did join, I realized it was a good decision. Well welcome aboard.

WELCOME ABOARD BROTHER.

I DECIDED TO JOIN THE FIRE DEPT. IN MY OLD HOME TOWN WHEN I WAS 14. IT WAS SOMETHING I ALWAYS WANTED TO DO, BUT NEVER REALLY SOUGHT AFTER IT UNTIL AFTER MY 14TH BIRTHDAY. SEE, I WAS A BAD KID, VERY BAD. I USED TO GET INTO ALL KINDS OF TROUBLE, FIGHTING, VANDALIZING, STEALING. I WAS CITED BY THE POLICE MANY TIMES, ARRESTED ON MORE THAN ON OCCASION, MY PARENTS WHERE CONSIDERING PUTTING ME INTO MILITARY SCHOOL, AND THAT THOUGHT BY MY PARENTS GAVE ME A RUDE AWAKENING. AT THAT POINT IN TIME I DECIDED TO DO WHAT I DREAMED OF, I BECAME A VOLUNTEER FIRE FIGHTER. FROM THERE THE REST IS HISTORY. I WAS NEVER IN TROUBLE AGAIN WITH THE POLICE, I SPENT ALL MY FREE TIME EITHER DOING MY HOMEWORK FOR SCHOOL, OR AT THE FIRE STATION LEARNING ALL THERE WAS I COULD LEARN ABOUT THE FIRE INDUSTRY. NOW 28 YEARS OLD I REALIZE THAT IT WAS THE BEST THING I COULD HAVE DONE. IT MADE ME A BETTER PERSON, AND MADE MY PARENTS PROUD OF ME, NOT TO MENTION IT GAVE MY PARENTS AN EASIER TIME IN LIFE. I'VE BEEN A PAID FIREMAN FOR A STEEL MILL BEFORE, TESTED IN OCALA FLORIDA, BUT DIDN'T GET HIRED, ALTHOUGH I PASSED ALL THE TESTS, AND BEEN A LINE OFFICER AT MY FIRST DEPT., AND NOW AT MY PRESENT DEPT. I AM CAPT. I AM ALSO A SUPERVISOR FOR THE EMS COMPANY I WORK FOR. THE FIRE INDUSTRY HAS REALLY CHANGED MY LIFE, AND I WILL NEVER GIVE THAT UP.

SO WELCOME ALONG BROTHER. I AM EXCITED TO SEE NEW PEOPLE GETTING INTO THE WORLD OF OLD MAN FIRE. STAY SAFE, GOOD LUCK, AND USE YOUR HEAD.

DOWN AND DIRTY WITH THE BOYS FROM DOWNTOWN.
    MONESSEN FIGHTING 81ST

Thread Information