MembersZone Subscriber

Default Non-fireground activities

Aside from the gofer work on the fireground what does everyone else do around the firehouse? I assist with the PM on SCBA's and I do the NFIRS reports that get sent to the state. I also help out when parade season comes around, detailing the trucks, and I help train and teach cadets and other juniors. How about everyone else?
    Rob
    Captain
    Logan Township Fire Dept.
    Gloucester County, NJ

Standard Disclaimer: These are my opinions and do not necessarily reflect those of my department.

Off of the fireground. I do basic maintanance around the firehouse, clean the trucks, train some people, parades, meetings, drills, all that good stuff, that is all that is popping into my head right now.
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Whatever I'm told to do. I also take care of paper work,member files and traing records and reports.
    "I truly believe that tradition is important to the long-term survival of the fire service."-Lt. Andrew Fredricks, FDNY,9-11-01

HNFC FF/President

i take out the trash

I also check all the battery powered equipment on the trucks (portables, thermal imaging camera, CO monitor, Gas Detector,etc) and charge them when it comes to it.

There are other small things too. God that Imaging Camera is cool Helped us find a person once.
    Firefighter, Volunteering since Oct 2001

CCFA 05-04, best overall class for 2005
    "GOOD GAME!"

Forum Member

Nothing - I would if I could. We are only allowed at the station for monthy meetings. They also freak out about us touching anything.

Default Re: Non-fireground activities

Originally posted by Jun18ior
    Aside from the gofer work on the fireground what does everyone else do around the firehouse? I assist with the PM on SCBA's and I do the NFIRS reports that get sent to the state. I also help out when parade season comes around, detailing the trucks, and I help train and teach cadets and other juniors. How about everyone else?

We help the fd with refilling SCBA's, cleaning engines when parade time comes around. we also clean the meeting room every sunday night, and we are free to attend monthly training. I also help train and teach fellow cadets, etc.

Forum Member

Lightbulb

As a junior firefighter in CT im 17 and the only things we cannot do is a tool job on an extricaiton,interior attack on a structure, and the CO alarms (hense the SCBA) and the worst of all ride in the jumpseats of the older apparatus. Im a LT. of the junior department basically second in command and once we are 18 and graduate high school we can become recruits and take FF1/FF2 all that good stuff.

Forum Member

Talking

Around the station we do truck checks during "Duty" time. as explorers the only thing we cant do on the truck checks is drive the truck, we check all the tools and other power equipment, we also run the pumps. any time we get a call we come up to the station, if there is room on the truck and it hasn't left yet we are allowed to get on the truck,if it already left of there is no more room we stay at the station for more man power just in case we get another call. on grass fires we are allowed to get on the nob and help put it out. we are not that limited the only things we can't do is go in to a burning building or have direct pt care.

we can also ride in "open" jump seats
    Last edited by Moose2028; 10-30-2003 at 11:34 AM.
    IF YOU FOLLOW ALL OF THE RULES YOU MISS ALL OF THE FUN.

Moose (Post 2028 Vice President/ Command Officer)Explorer Highland Twp. Fire/Rescue Dept.

Any Questions Contact Me At Moose20282@yahoo.com

These Are My Opinions, Not that of My Dept. or Any other Orgnazition I Belong to.

GFDSlappyRob
    Firehouse.com Guest

I help re-fill SCBA's, clean the rigs, check the tools( Hurst, K-12,Echo saw etc..),daily chore( when on shift),clean the Ambulance after runs(blah nass asty!!!, train new explorers,go to the FD monthly general meeting and drill,and the best of all EAT and SLEEP!!!

As for fire ground ops we can do just about anything except go into a burning structre(except during training fires). We can do overhaul/salvage, exterior attack(master streams,2 1/2" lines), horizontal ventilation and help pump.Usually the probie explorers and FF explorers are at Rehab doing BP's, checking pulses and getting water.

Forum Member

Whatever needs to be done we do ie washing trucks,cleaning up, taking trash out, checking equipment,refilling air bottles, yeah you get the point.
    NEVER FORGET!
    9/11/01

Forum Member

I have done just about everything at the fire house, some times more than the members of the department.

I do basic truck maintenance, clean tools, check all of the generators, take out the trash, etc.

Forum Member

Originally posted by GFDSlappyRob
    I help re-fill SCBA's, clean the rigs, check the tools( Hurst, K-12,Echo saw etc..),daily chore( when on shift),clean the Ambulance after runs(blah nass asty!!!, train new explorers,go to the FD monthly general meeting and drill,and the best of all EAT and SLEEP!!!

As for fire ground ops we can do just about anything except go into a burning structre(except during training fires). We can do overhaul/salvage, exterior attack(master streams,2 1/2" lines), horizontal ventilation and help pump.Usually the probie explorers and FF explorers are at Rehab doing BP's, checking pulses and getting water.
    I DO THE SAME THING YOU DO. YOU GUYS ARE LUCKY YOU CAN OVERHAUL, I WICH WE COULD DO THAT!!!!! NOW EAT AND SLEEP THAT IS THE BEST.

Forum Member
    Waynesboro, VA, possibly relocating to Virginia Beach in the near future!

I do EVERYTHING, interior firefighting and all. Been doing it since June. I only have one month left as a Junior, too. I'm gonna miss it, but at the same time I'm ready for the opportunities to become a career FF in my area as well! Hopefully, I'll get hired right here in Waynesboro. Now don't get me wrong, volunteers are great, but I want to get paid to do what I love! Don't start career bashing either...
    These are my opinions, not those of my career department, my volunteer company, or my affiliates. And by the way, I'm not a Junior.

Buy me a drink, sing me a song, take me as I come 'cause I can't stay long.

Johnny Greene: 2/3/45-5/2/04
    Forever in our hearts

Forum Member

Washed trucks,made coffe,served coffe,cleaned coffe mugs,dried coffe mugs,did engine inspections,took out trash,made more coffe, refilled scba,served coffe that was perkilateing, bought pizza, watched training videos,lots of class room stuff,drank coffe in class room etc.. I swear the money we spent of coffe was like half of Columbia gross national product.
    I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Thread Information