MembersZone Subscriber

Default Firefighter accused of molesting 8 y/o

If you read the article on the firehouse main page at the very bottom it says the accused was not an active volunteer at the time, and yet the press still jumps to say that it was a firefighter. It all ways gets me why they dont just say his current profession ie janitor, doctor, lawyer etc etc. Sorry just venting about this total bs.

Forum Member

ELAND, Fla. -- A volunteer firefighter from Volusia County is under arrest, accused of molesting an eight-year-old boy.

Kenneth Moore seemed to be a trusted member of the community. He volunteered at the Kepler Road fire station and he spent a lot of time volunteering with the kids. But that, say police, is where he met his victim, or possibly victims.

Moore was arrested Friday after a five-month investigation. According to the Volusia County Sheriff's Office, an eight-year-old boy came forward and told his parents that Moore molested him several times in 2001. It happened after the boy's father dropped him off at Moore's home in DeLand to stay overnight.

What is disturbing, say investigators, is that Moore was heavily involved with Volusia County Fire Services Cadet Program. And another man came forward and said Moore molested him 10 years ago while in that program. That means, there could be many more victims.

The county says they no longer have a cadet program. They now have the Explorers program. One of their guidelines is that an adult would never be left alone with the kids.

Moore is being held on $10,000 bond. He was not an active volunteer at the time of the arrest.

Investigators expect there are more victims. If anyone has any information, they are asked to call the Volusia County Sheriffs Department.
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Forum Member

while i would usually agree that him being a vol FF has nothing to do with the article, in the case i disagree.
    What is disturbing, say investigators, is that Moore was heavily involved with Volusia County Fire Services Cadet Program. And another man came forward and said Moore molested him 10 years ago while in that program.
    I think this does paint all of us, including those with junior member programs, in a bad light. however, in this case, since it was done while he was acting as an adivsor to a cadet program (or explorer or junior or whatever you want to call it) the reporter was right to focus on his volunteer FF background. I don't like the picture it paints, but i do think that in this case, it was appropriate. but that doesn't mean i like it one bit
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Thread Information