MembersZone Subscriber

Question What to do with the @#!$ long board?

I'm looking for creative locations for carrying a long board on our engines.

We're fairly new to EMS (three years) and have carried boards strapped to the ladders since we have no compartments large enough to hold a board. Of course this exposes them to weather and UV and makes grabbing a ladder a little slower.

Other ideas please?
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

a ship in a harbor is safe. . . but that's not what ships are for

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Lightbulb Well......

Got any Transverse compartments? Hang 'em on the wall or put in a couple of brackets and slide 'em in flat. Hose loads? Slide a board in beside the attack lines if there is enough room. Let us know what you have for apparatus, might have more ideas from that. Stay Safe....
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

We have transverse rear compartments on every engine, but our generators are in the way. (I can't imagine plastic backboards getting along too well with heat and gasoline fumes anyway!)

A step ladder covers the mattydales - that probably would have been our first choice.

Between the hose and the bed hasn't been looked at too closely, though. I'll have to play around with that idea some, but I'd like to have them out of the weather if I can. Any tips on laying hose without laying out the board?

We have also considered a long flat box under the LDH. I haven't figured out how to keep the hose from blocking the end of the box yet.
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

We have a board in the hose bed of most of our pieces except for the rescue which has a transverse compartment and our first due engine which we have 3 in a dunage compartment on the side of the hose bed, accessable from the top of the truck. As to laying a line and losing the board, well you either pull it out of the bed and drop it next to the hydrant or TO HELL W/ IT THE BOARD WILL BOUNCE AND YOU CAN PICK IT UP LATER!

good luck
    Member IACOJ & IACOJ EMS Bureau
    New England FOOL
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    As always these are strictly my own opinions and views

Forum Member

Engine company near me has their board strapped to the outside of the hard suctions that they have mounted.

Forum Member

I have seen crews in our area turn them on there sides and put them up against the hosebed divider, here we have them strapped to ladders on 2 or the 3 trucks.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

55 Years & Still Rolling

Smile Forgot one!

Neighboring Company carries boards on their engines by slipping them in BEHIND the ladders. (Between the ladder and the side of the truck) They ran a couple of rubber strips vertically on the side of the truck so the boards wouldn't scratch the paint.
    In memory of

IACOJ Budget Analyst

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Default the box sounds like a good idea....

I would just make sure it's strong enough to support the weight of the hose on top of it and have it come right to the edge of the bed. I don't know exactly how you have your hosebed layed out, but I'm sure you can figure a way to keep the hose out of the way. I'm guessing the odds of the same crew needing the backboard and the supply hose on the same call are pretty slim. A solution for future trucks could be, assuming you purchase a custom chassis and have the extra space in the station, is to pay the extra for the long four door version and have either the chassis manufacturer put a transverse compartment in that extra space behind the rear doors. I've seen this done and it looked like it worked well.
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Anything found in my posts is soley my opinion and not representative of any other individual or entity.

You know that thing inside your helmet? Use it wisely and you'll be just fine.

MembersZone Subscriber

How far away is EMS? We provide ALS service on two of our three engines and don't carry a board at all. We do have C-collars but usually just hold the c spine and let the ground splint the pt till an ambulance arrives.

Just a thought. You could mount the board to the roof inside the cab, but I would look into not having it at all.

Forum Member

On the call department I used to run with we hung a backboard transversely on the inside, back wall of the cab. It worked well and kept it out of the elements, important up here in a snowstorm.

This was on a custom cab E-One. I'm not sure how it works on commercial rigs, but I imagine not all that well.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Forum Member

Default Responce to what to do with the @#!$ long board?

If you have to do a little rearranging on the engine or apparutus to fit the board, do it. I would really like a responding piece of fire apparatus to have a backboard and c-collars on board in the event that I get hurt in the line of duty and suffer a back injury. We all hate those types of injuries, don't we? The department I am in the process of applying for has their backboards in a compartment that runs legnthwise down the side of the tank. The compartment holds a KED, various splinting mechanisms, pleanty of c-collars, and a long board, all which are within reach of the ALS/BLS compartment next to it. Do you run ALS/BLS ambulances or medical first responce squads from your department? If so let the ambulance or squad hold the backboards. They are better designed for equipment that is long and often a pain to store... Good Luck...Feel free to email me or post any other questtions regarding this matter or any other.

Bruce
    Bruce Baker

Medic Student, EMT-I, EMT-I instructor, Haz-Mat FRO

Fraternal Order Of Paramedics Society Member

R.I.P. 343, 9/11/01, God Bless America.
    "ALWAYS REMEMBER, NEVER FORGET!"

Forum Member

A while back when our Rescue went out of service for some repairs we managed to stuff about 80% of its total inventory onto our Engine, Including two backboards. Our hose bed is pretty deep (height wise) and we simply stood it up on its side beside one of the attack lines off the back. The hose was layed in a flat lay, one row high, so there were a good couple of inches on either side for two boards to slide into. Our engine has three pre-connect attack lines over the pump panel (transverse), so putting it in the rear hose bed wasn't a problem.
    "No one ever called the Fire Department for doing something smart..."

MembersZone Subscriber

We run first responder and get an ambulance within 5 min. or not at all. The hospital-based ambulance service staffs two units for the entire county. We get the heads-up at time of dispatch if they expect an extended ETA.

As you might suspect, we're not getting rid of the spine boards.

FWIW, we're not shy about calling for a mutual aid ambulance (I have no idea why the hospital refuses to)but the closest is 20 min. out. We have an air ambulance available now (weather permitting) with a 10 min. flight time to our city.

I had thought about the roof of the cab, but as we get taller rigs, those locations get more inaccessable. I'm afraid of having a firefighter go to get a backboard and winding up needing one!

Thanks everyone for the input.
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

Forum Member

Default Here's the next question?

How to get the county to up staffing and put more ambulances out on the street!

Bruce, EMT-1D, California

Forum Member

The easiest and most efficient way that we have always used on older pumpers that didnt have a compartment under the hosebed specifically made for things like backboards is to place them on top of your LDH Hose. They are out of the way, and if u get a fire you can just remove the board and set it aside out of the way. It has worked well for us.

55 Years & Still Rolling

Thumbs down Time for a change??

My apologies in advance if I cause this thread to start off in another direction, but I have to ask: Hospital Based Ambulance Service?? In my 45 years in this great business, I have never seen an Ambulance that was operated by a Hospital (except for Specialty inter-hospital transports) Every Ambulance that responds to 911 calls in any jurisdiction that I know of here in the Mid-Atlantic is operated by the local Fire/Rescue department, and runs out of a Fire/Rescue station. There are a few Private, for-profit, Ambulance companies around, but they do not handle emergency calls, only routine transportation between facilities or from a health care facility to a residence. I would assume that a service such as ours has a much faster response time, and generally provides a more responsive service. While you are moving your boards, you might look at moving your ambulances as well. Stay Safe....
    In memory of

IACOJ Budget Analyst

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

No problem about the change in direction.

In our area, hospital based EMS is the norm. We might have jurisdictional issues if our municipal dept. took over EMS in the county. We can't even get fire protection for everyone in our county!

Our rural fire protection district covers almost 100 square miles with three stations. Total population in that area is about 19,000, of which 10,000 are in the city. We provide rural fire protection on an annual subscription basis.

Between TennCare and low call volume an ambulance service is a losing proposition (money-wise, that is). I'm certain the city taxpayers would not be willing to subsidize county residents' EMS protection.
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

Temporarily/No Longer Active

Thats exactly what we do DFD...we put 2 boards on top of the hosebed and throw them off or move them aside when were laying hose....BUT....heres an idea...has ANYONE ever thought of going with the FOLDUP boards? LOL
    We diverted to those simply becuase on our pumper(which is an older one.. http://cms.firehouse.com/dept/SeligmanAZ)....I have found they fit magnificently into the rear compartment.Since we got the foldup type of board,we no longer have to carry boards on top of the bed unless we REALLY have to or if we dont get our foldups back right away after they "enter the system" and we get stuck with the standard ones so right now the only thing we carry "EMS-wise" is a wire stokes basket on the hosebed but hopefully sooner better than later..we will have the funds to divert to the foldup stokes as well so that too will be off the hosebed.

Lots of luck!

Donna C
    Fire Chief
    Bridge Canyon VFD
    http://cms.firehouse.com/dept/SeligmanAZ

Forum Member

We run an ALS squad, and on the engine/rescue we also carry EMS gear. We tried all the mentioned scenerios to house the long board but we decided to go to the folding board, and a folding stokes. In 1 1/2 years we have the vehicle we have had to use them a couple of times and they work really well.

STILL STANDING!!!!!!!!!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Our setup on most engines is to put the plastic backboard between the roof ladder and the 24' ladder. This pic is the best I could find right now, but it should get the idea across.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

MembersZone Subscriber

O.K. - pic is really too big for the format of the forum page so I'll just post the link instead.

Photo is of a truck belonging to Jonesfield Lakefield Fire District, Michigan

http://www.csiea.com/web/custom/jones-back-brd-stg.jpg
    Last edited by N2DFire; 09-18-2003 at 03:15 PM.
    Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

MembersZone Subscriber

If a picture is worth a thousand words, how many words is a link worth?

Thanks engine61 and N2DFire!
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

Forum Member

Default long board placement

On the call department I belong to now, we carry our longboard along the back wall of the cab. On the older engines, it straddles the engine cover that runs through tthe center of the enclosed cab. In the newer trucks, it gets hung above the forward facing seats in the rear of the cab. Seems to be out of the way, but fairly convenient when its needed. Also keeps it clean, dry, warm, etc.

Stay safe.
    Jonathan Martin
    martinj@wpi.edu
    WPI Mechanical Engineering
    "Be safe, use smoke detectors...be safer, sleep with a firefighter..."

Forum Member

We built a box out of 2x4 and placed the box under the full hose load. We then placed a pivoting "keeper" on the box to prevent the board from sliding out inadvertantly. Works well but you have to clean it from time to time.
    I.A.C.O.J.

SOME ARE FIREMEN
    OTHERS ARE JUST ON
    THE FIRE DEPARTMENT

makes good girls go bad

Well, unless you have a pump panel mounted behind the cab, like Melbourne FD does, this would leave you out. But My FD has mounted a backboard on 2 90 degree brackets behind the cab, but in front of the pump panel, and is then secured with shock cords. BUT this is a solution only if you have a walk thru pump panel.
    PS It is a 97 pierce contender
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Thread Information