Forum Member

Default Another forum newbie

Howdy folks,

Yep, another newbie to the forum. Just wanted to introduce myself. I have been coming to Firehouse since around 98 when I got "online" but never got around to joining the forum. I have been in the fire service for 13 years, most of it paid, but started as a Vol. I have worked for 2 other paid depts here in Texas, (Killeen FD & Del Rio FD) and have been with the San Antonio FD for about 4 years now. My station is a double company, and I work on the Motor (we refer to Engines as motors, it's believed that the term started when our apparatus became "motorized"). I don't know what all I have to add to the forum, but I guess I'll have fun finding out.

MembersZone Subscriber

Motor man,

First I have heard of an Engine Co. being called a "Motor Co."

I have been on an Engine Co. for quite some time. We cover 40 miles of interstate on a busy section. We see a lot of wrecks. 30 miles east of Seattle at the gateway to the Cascade mountains. I hope your experiences both here and in the field are good.

Be safe,

Fraternally, JW
    "Making Sense with Common Sense"
    Motor Vehicle Rescue Consultants
    ( MVRC@comcast.net) Jordan Sr.

Forum Member

JW... or J Dub ,

We too have to deal with the ol highway. The Highway/expressway that leads into downtown SA from the west passes right down the street from our house. I have made many a wreck out there at O dark thirty. I have gotten into the habit of sometimes just letting the rest of the crew do a little more, while I stand facing traffic, ready to yell out if someone comes our way. We try to use the motor to block us as much as we can, but it's not always poss.

It took me a little while to get used to the "Motor" thing. I tried to keep calling it an Engine, but when you keep being dispatched as 33 motor, it just finally sticks. I don't mind it now, it's just part of the history of my dept.

Also, anyone interested in my dept's unofficial website can go here.

www.sanantoniofire.org

Forum Member

Motors? What? Who calls 'em Motors anymore? Where I'm from... We call 'em Engines!

Forum Member

That's great Bru, thanks for sharing.

Thread Information