Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber WTFDChief730's Avatar

Default Your departments overall health/fitness

Over the last 3 decades, heart attack has been the number one killer of firefighters. The numbers more than enough prove the need to put more focus in health/fitness matters. My question to all of you is
    "What is your department or what are you doing to improve or promote better health/fitness in your department. Does your department discuss these matters at all? Do you have work out equipment in the station? and does your department have a physical abilities type test for new applicants to get on your department? and last but unfortunately, does your department just not care about health/fitness matters.

Please voice your opinion and feeling in regards to health/fitness issues in todays fire service, and ideas to improve the statistic of heart attack as the top killer of FF's.

Thank you

Forum Member

Angry fitness program for our dept.

I wish.... Two members brought in some used equip, no room remove it!!!!! I negotiated with a local YMCA for a discount, I think 2 of use ever used it. See much discussion regarding fitness equipment on earlier threads, even some feel fema/usfa grants should not be for and fitness equipment. I think we're finally about to at least get physicals required. Trying to keep on keepin on!!!

BE SAFE OUT THERE, (but, of course, don't spend $$$ or require any room to do it!!!)

MembersZone Subscriber fyrman1977's Avatar

We have a great gym on my dept, but on my shift no one but myself uses it. On my p.o.c. dept we also have a great gym which everyone wants to use, but are not allowed when working our duty-shifts(we might hurt ourselves). Go figure!

We can not even have a basketball goal ,out front
    Had the kind you roll where ever, we were told to
    remove it "someone might trip over it"

MembersZone Subscriber

I can understand the ban on contact sports....but a good aerobic/weight program properly supervised would go a long way toward better job performance and personal health.

We've had the lessons of Firefighters being killed hit at home when we lost our Brother Steve Gavin to a heart attack a few weeks ago, since then much discussion has been done on physical conditioning, We do have a weight room, although few use it, I work aerobic regularly and swim in our local pool, I know I can't force others to do it but I can keep myself fit...Stay Safe
    NYS FF1/AEMT-CC
    IAEP Local 152
    "You stopped being in charge when I showed up"

Forum Member

Default fitness

My department has no weight room and no real physical fitness tests. They only have the normal yearly check up. I truly wish this would change for the benefit of all members. I personally am a fit individual, as a former college athlete I still lift weights and run on a daily basis, and it is clear to me on the fire ground that guys who are in good shape can perform tasks much better than individuals that are out of shape. I think anyone that is in shape can notice that. Being in good shape is very important to being a firefighter because it can save your life on the fireground and help prevent complications such as heart attacks. My recommendation is to atleast do some cardio work. You will greatly benefit from it.

MembersZone Subscriber mcaldwell's Avatar

Like most volley dept's we don't do nearly enough. Recently some of the boys took it upon themselves to set up an improvised FF challenge course and it was a big hit. Gym attendace is up now, but we will have to see if we can keep the momentum going.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

What are some thoughts on working out while on duty? I personally think it's not a good idea because you could get the "big one" right after working out. You just get done doing legs and then you get to climb 8 floors with hose and equipment. Just curious about some other opinions.

MembersZone Subscriber WTFDChief730's Avatar

I personally think working out while on duty should be strongly encouraged. Keeping our body in top shape to perform all the strenous/stressfull fireground duty's is a must. I understand your question about working out to the point your to tired to perform on the fireground, you must use some good common sense when working out at the station with that thought in mind. I dont nearly work out as hard at the station as I do on my days off just for that reason. Physical fitness/wellness training is just as, if not more important than any other drill or training we have to do. There is no more important tool in the fire service than the firefighter, we have to check and up keep our tools everyday, why not take some time out of a day to take care of the most important tool on your department...YOU!!!

We have a good workout room with machines, free weights, and cardiovascular equipment. The majority of us work out almost every shift.

I don't agree with those who feel working out on duty is a bad idea. I have been on a lot of calls immediatley after working out and it has yet to prevent me from doing my job.

I believe we owe it to each other to be in good health. In addition to on duty workouts, annual physicals are very important.

That said, departments must not disregard the information obtained during annual physicals. There should be a criteria that must be met in order to be fit for duty.

We can prevent some of these LODDS if we can identify cardiac problems before they lead to heart attacks.
    "We shouldn't be opening firehouses in Baghdad and closing them in New York City."

IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber mcaldwell's Avatar

The local forestry boys have figured out a good way around the workout at work issue. They spend their last hour and a half of thier shift in the gym, or playing group sports. This way they usually don't tire themselves out mid-day, but they still get the benefit of the training every day.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Thread Information