MembersZone Subscriber

Question Load releasing hitch

What load releasing hitch are you using? Mariner hitch, Radium LR hitch (2:1 or 3:1), or the Hokie Hitch? Why was the particular hitch chosen?

FIGJAM

Mariners hitch- no particular reason! I was just taught to use and still do...
    Luke

MembersZone Subscriber

Mariner knot, it is easy to control the load and is mostly ff proof.

MembersZone Subscriber

We have still use the mariners since it is so simple and friendly, however we have been teaching the radium release hitch and now carry the stuff in the belay bag. The RR is nice since you can safely control a descent until you release the load.

Steve
    Colonie, NY

Forum Member

I use the Radium release(3:1) because it affords more energy absorption in the belay system than the mariner's which is very static. I was using the original BC load release hitch but it is now recommended that you use 9mm cord for it and I have a few spools of 8mm. Much easier to just stick with the cord I already have and the Radium can be made of 8mm.
    Sometimes, in order to make an operation idiot proof, you must remove the idiot!

Exclamation radium 3:1

We use the Radium 3:1 load releasing hitch because of it's shock absorbing capablity, ease of operation and tying, cheap to construct(2 carabiners and 33 feet of 8mm cord), and foremost because it has been proven to be the only load releasing hitch not to fail when subjected to a 600 lb shock load.

Default load release

I am partial to the 3:1 radium release hitch, built with 8mm cord. This hitch is very versatile and can be released close to 10 foot and still have control of the load. With the style of mariners we tie (a 4:1) you would need a 45 ft piece of webbing to do the same, and who carries a 45 foot piece of webbing (not me).

We have also have had grate luck with taking a rescue rope (11mm or 12.5mm) and tying a figure 8 on a bight and putting a munter, tied it off with a half hitch and then an overhand with the bight left over from the half hitch, directly behind the knot on an extra large carabineer. This style of load release is just as strong as the belay rope being used and can be released as far out as the rope used to make it.

Food for thought

FIGJAM

We have also have had grate luck with taking a rescue rope (11mm or 12.5mm) and tying a figure 8 on a bight and putting a munter, tied it off with a half hitch and then an overhand with the bight left over from the half hitch, directly behind the knot on an extra large carabineer.
    Gawd! Without actually seeing it, it sure sounds confusing!
    Luke

Hello,

The reason most people use the mariners hitch - It is the one they can purchase from a catalog!!! It's the firefighters way for most things technical rescue. After all, how many 540s have been sold in the last two years? I have one (540) and use it for most belays, however, it is not the "golden bullet" most whish it was. If you REALLY want to compare belays, go to www.riggingforrescue.com and click on "publications" on the side bar. "Release Devices: A Comparative Analysis" is the one you want. It won't answer the question "which is the best?" It just lays out the information and lets you decide which is right for you.

As for some of the information shared above, 1. "smokediver" lots of lrh pass the 600lb. drop test. (hokie is the strongest - but the most complicated to tie) Most don't fare well, especially the mariners! 2. "resqtec" You could use the 2:1 BC which doubles the strength. (although I like the radium much more).

I guess my answer of my favorite: 540 and the 3:1 radium when the 540 won't work.
    *~~~John J. Troyer~~~*
    -Sedgwick County FD Wichita, KS
    Lieutenant - Tech Rescue Station #37B
    -Hutchinson Community College
    Instructor - OSHA, Fire, Rescue
    -Norwich Fire Department
    Volunteer Firefighter

Stay safe and remember, Gravity never sleeps!

Thread Information