Forum Member

Question Truckman belt vs Escape belt

I'm looking into buying either a truckman belt or an escape belt but cannot decide. Background: I'm from a mainly suburban area that is most of all 1-2 story houses, a mall, 5 hotels, restaurants, but we run M\A to a lot of rural areas. We do run a ladder truck for for all structure fires in district and out. So to get to my question: What do you use or prefer and what type of an escape belt (yates, gut(not made anymore))(if you use one).

Thanks,

.zimm

MembersZone Subscriber

Iwould personally opt for the escape belt. It will cost a little more but will be a lot more versatile( you can add a tower strap for truck ops, etc.). I have A Gut Belt (supposedly they are coming back onto the market shortly) and love it. Bad thing about the truckman's belt is no life safety rating and not a lot of weight difference.

Be Safe,
    Capt. Todd J.Matthews
    South Lynches Fire Dept.

MembersZone Subscriber

Be sure to research your departments rules regarding life safety equipment. A few years ago my department was going to buy the Gut Belt for each member. Then they found out that it was not 3rd party certified (UL listed or an equivelant). The village had a policy that stated all life safety equipment must be.
    "We shouldn't be opening firehouses in Baghdad and closing them in New York City."

IACOJ

Forum Member

Click here and check out the first belt shown. In my opinion, this is the best, and it is designed for the fire service.

Stay Safe

Forum Member

Default If I had to buy my own....

I'd probably get a pac-mule belt

http://www.pacmule.com/

looks like you can get a fairly good safety/tool belt from these guys
    Last edited by tripperff; 09-25-2003 at 06:17 PM.
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Anything found in my posts is soley my opinion and not representative of any other individual or entity.

You know that thing inside your helmet? Use it wisely and you'll be just fine.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Belts

Well it depends on what you really want it for. For a Truck belt I always just wore a top grain Boston Leather Truck Belt. It worked great. I always liked the simplicity of the ring and clip.

But if you want a harness for escape all you need to know is the link to Gemtor which PAvolunteer provided. When I work in the Truck Co. I put one on every time.

But according to your description of your city you might just want to go with a normal Truck Belt and learn the many methods of removing yourself from a bad situation with just a rope and halligan.

FTM-PTB

Forum Member

Look hard at the Colorado trucker by Fire Innovations.

Go to Rapid Intervention and ask Jim Crawford, I believe he was field testing it.

Fire Innovations

And for the record, I am not a salesperson of any kind. I saw this belt at the expo in San Diego and it was interesting.

There are a couple of guys on my job using a adjustable pick off strap held around their waist with a biner. They attach a short prusik to it with another biner on the end for use a ladder belt. I don't have the exact numbers..but everything is rated for this type of use.

Dave
    Last edited by hfd66truck; 09-25-2003 at 09:27 PM.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up Yates For Me......

My current belt is from Yates. I have had several others, but the Yates is the best by far. And, it is 3rd party certified. Stay Safe....
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

I actually talked with the guy that designed the Colorado Trucker Belt. Man, that thing is a CADILLAC!!! Only downside is the price. Supposedly they're coming out ewith one made of nylon that should be half the price.
    Capt. Todd J. Matthews
    South Lynches Fire Dept.

"Loud Pipes Save Lives!!!"

MembersZone Subscriber

What are you going to use it for?
    We have to wear our truck belts (the gut belt switching to Yates) and most guys don't use it for anything. Everyone has 20' of webbing for removal or a hose strap and I think that is fine. I can also use the webbing to make a hasty harness if needed.
    One belt I did like and use from time to time was my Milwaukee spanner belt. It has a spanner end and is long enough to use as a rope hose tool http://www.rbfab.com/Item/SB-1.htm

Default boston leather belt safety

Quote Originally Posted by FFFRED View Post
    Well it depends on what you really want it for. For a Truck belt I always just wore a top grain Boston Leather Truck Belt. It worked great. I always liked the simplicity of the ring and clip.

But if you want a harness for escape all you need to know is the link to Gemtor which PAvolunteer provided. When I work in the Truck Co. I put one on every time.

But according to your description of your city you might just want to go with a normal Truck Belt and learn the many methods of removing yourself from a bad situation with just a rope and halligan.

FTM-PTB
    OK heres the thing. Ive been wearing a boston leather belt for about a month now, I wanted a belt to hold some equipment, and for the fact they look great. Now what I want to know from your personal expirence is the boston leather truckmans belt a safe belt to tie yourself off to a ladder or a aerial platform. Because ive read that some companys are using these belts for that purpose. I was playing with the idea of getting a gut belt but I didnt know if I should spend the extra money. And the reason im asking is because I want to use it for tying into our 65' snorkel.

MembersZone Subscriber

I used to wear a Boston Leather Truckie Belt. It was nice to wear to carry an axe to the roof, then I started hanging my flashlight from it. In the end, I didn't find it as functional as I had wanted. It had some functionality, but overall it really didn't improve things for me. I am planning to buy one of the Fire Innovations Colorado belts ($$$ has kept me from doing it sooner). I think the Colorado belt is less bulky than a lot of the other escape belts out there. I plan on putting belt loops on my running pants and using it as an escape belt/ladder belt. I was thinking about the Gemtor harness, but in my opinion, it adds extra weight and bulk compared to the Colorado Belt. Like someone mentioned above, if Fire Innovations comes out with a nylon version, it would not only be cheaper, but lighter. Bottom line, if you are going to get a belt, you might as well get one than can be used as an escape belt too.

Some people balk at the whole "escape belt" thing, and think it is a waste of money if the dept doesn't provide it. I am a firm believer in the better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it philosophy. Also in my weird way of thinking, if i spend money on self rescue stuff, I will probably never have to use it. If I try to save the money, I will be hanging out a window kicking myself for being a cheap bastard.

Stay Safe

Forum Member

Talking Germanator Belt Truck Belt

I have seen these belts worn by the Windy City Brothers, but have not seen any place they can be purchased.... Is Germanator not producing these belts???? I know they make other types of harness etc, but would like to here others opinions on this belt. Thanks much!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

makes good girls go bad

This is what I have. A little pricy, but well worth it

I am fixin to get rid of it, since the new bunkergear has the intergrated harness.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BLSboy View Post

I am fixin to get rid of it, since the new bunkergear has the intergrated harness.

We have two of these in service, and they are great if you want more than a basic pant/escape belt. NFPA Class II, and Life Safety Rated. Add any one of these for a belt that will hold a lot of gear.

http://www.yatesgear.com/rescue/fire...pads/index.htm

But for the aerial, we have the FFRED Escape system on all our Dragar SCBA, and I have just ordered a couple of the ladder hooks for them as well to eliminate the need for a second belt. If the guys are not going to use SCBA, they can grab one of the Yates harnesses, or we have a few standard 8" ladder belts with 3 foot lanyards.
    Last edited by mcaldwell; 07-25-2007 at 03:56 PM.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Forum Member

Yates offers several options. They have a "Gut Belt" style as well as the Ladderman belt. The Ladderman can be worn as a ladder belt or a class 2 harness. Here is a link: http://www.jbrescue.com/harnesses.htm scroll down to the ladderman harness.
    Jason Brooks
    IAFF Local 2388
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BLSboy View Post

I like that harness. The Kevlar is a little pricey though. I wonder if this would work:

I would buy a Gemtor harness, but I'm not in a rescue department anymore, I'm simply in a department that handles fire suppression and EMS. Our county has a separate squad that handles all rescue related incidents. Still though, I like the idea of being able to have a belt (and a harness) to hang my bail out bag on and maybe some other things. However, I may just go with this:

It's confusing.
    Last edited by KEEPBACK200FEET; 07-28-2007 at 12:07 AM.
    Just know, I chose my own fate. I drove by the fork in the road and went straight.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingKiwi View Post
    Go put your pussy 2 1/2" lines away kiddies.

Quote Originally Posted by Explorer343

By the way KEEPBACK200FEET, you're so dramatic!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by KEEPBACK200FEET View Post
    I like that harness. The Kevlar is a little pricey though. I wonder if this would work:

It looks like a devcent harness, but depending on your plans, I would be very leery of purchasing any over the coat harness that has nylon components (despite thier "Fire resistant" claims). They will probably melt before you feel the heat.

If it is just a bunker pant belt, it might not be so bad, but don't cheap out with a critical peice of gear.
    Last edited by mcaldwell; 07-28-2007 at 03:58 AM.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Forum Member

im a product designer with a great deal of knowledge in materials and processes. leather is one of the highest strength to weight ratios of any material. thats why its been around for so long. remember, were buying leather helmets and boots again, after being told they were unsafe. also coming from the design world, products are designed for an average. and with the average american is steriotypically overweight, these belts are often designed to hold 3 or four people. so the only real difference that i can see between the two is the little piece of paper that says its rated. the only thing that will do is cover your dept and your *** if you infact get hurt using it. but other than that. i would feel safe with a piece of kernmantle tied around me in a bowline knot. but to each their own i suppose.

Forum Member

Good point. I think I'm just going to go with a Gut Belt or a Yates Escape Belt.
    Just know, I chose my own fate. I drove by the fork in the road and went straight.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingKiwi View Post
    Go put your pussy 2 1/2" lines away kiddies.

Quote Originally Posted by Explorer343

By the way KEEPBACK200FEET, you're so dramatic!

MembersZone Subscriber

I have the gut belt and love it but if my dept world let us get the tabs on bunker gear for a harness like FDNY I would go with that instead, since I use my belt more for the bailout purpose instead of carrying stuff like many other people use the belt for.

Quote Originally Posted by blink58truckie View Post
    im a product designer with a great deal of knowledge in materials and processes. leather is one of the highest strength to weight ratios of any material. thats why its been around for so long. remember, were buying leather helmets and boots again, after being told they were unsafe. also coming from the design world, products are designed for an average. and with the average american is steriotypically overweight, these belts are often designed to hold 3 or four people. so the only real difference that i can see between the two is the little piece of paper that says its rated. the only thing that will do is cover your dept and your *** if you infact get hurt using it. but other than that. i would feel safe with a piece of kernmantle tied around me in a bowline knot. but to each their own i suppose.
    GO LINK YOUR THE MAN

Thread Information