Forum Member

Exclamation Grounding & Bonding

I am looking for a complete grounding & bonding "kit". Currently using a mix of scavenged cables (homemade, auto jumper and whatever else we find) and connectors/clips. I've looked online and could put together a good setup but was wondering if there is something out there designed specifically for HazMat teams. With everything else that is out there I figure someone has to make a kit. If anyone has a solution or suggestion I would greatly appreciate it.

Hey mate, I'm with Toronto Haz mat and we have just put together our 2nd haz truck. One of the people who organized the purchases bought 4 "strands" of cables. I will check next time I'm into work (I'm off for 3 weeeks) and let you know where these were purchased.

Hope this helps.

Smurf

Disillusioned Subscriber

Check with Lab Safety Supply. Here's a link for some grounding cables through them. If you call their customer service department, they'll help you find it if they don't have it.

I've done lots of business with these guys, and have always been pleased.
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT
    ----------------------------
    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

Forum Member

You might want to look into welding cable.Comes in several sizes,is very pliable,you can get twist locks so it's easy to extend/shorten cabling.You can make a central grounding point with multiple quick connects so you can "spider"out from there.Plus the clamps are usually industrial strength so they get a good "bite"on the recieving end.T.C.

MembersZone Subscriber

all of our groundig kits are put together from several sources. But trying Lab Safety is a good Idea.
    AKA: Mr. Whoo-Whoo

IAFF Local 3900

IACOJ-The Crusty Glow Worm

ENGINE 302 - The Fire Rats

F.A.N.T.A.M FOOLS FTM-PTB

Forum Member

Welding cables get pretty heavy, especially it you string out 50 or 60 feet. In Dallas we use stainless cables with rubber or plastic insulating coating on them. We also use grounding rods from a company called E & J Denmark Incorporated out of Ohio. I think this company has grounding cables also. Stainless seems to stand up to acids and hydrocarbons. Not fireman proof, but close. The grounding rods you can reuse along with the driver.
    Steve Harris
    Dallas Hazmat

Forum Member

Lightbulb Not the 1000 amp stuff

Say Hotstuff,Dallas or Alaska doesn't matter.I didn't say you had to use minus 0 grade/ inch thick welding cable;It comes in several sizes and if you do it with the quick connects in 50'in the lesser grades of cable it is extremely manageable.Smaller welding cable is about the size of a decent booster cable but able to carry the current (or ground)for a good distance.Of course an engineered system would probably be better,but what I outlined is relatively cost efficient,easy to obtain,and easy to "tweak"to meet your individual needs.Most important part is make sure you do it.T.C.

Thread Information