Default SCBA Donning Times/Techniques

Let's hear some of the record times out there for donning SCBAs.

We have two tests, one from street cloths to fully geared up and on air, the other test you get to start with turnouts already on (minus whatever you don't want on - usually helmet and gloves with the hood pulled down).

Our department goal is to have everyone pass the second version of the test (already in turnouts) in 1 minute or less, and then push everyone to 45 seconds. My personal goal is under 30 seconds. The best I've done with our new SCBA's (Scott 3.0 w/ mask mounted regulator) is 48 seconds - not bad for practicing only once/twice a month.

We also have a few rules - tank must be fully on, shield down, all skin covered, and throat strap in place.

For those who have their department's record time, please share your techniques for speed.

Forum Member

Any firefighter in the Maine Fire Training program must dress from street clothes to burn building ready in no more than 2min 5 seconds with hood.This includes all PPE,Air pack on,tank pressure announced,all safety checks done,gloved and ready to go.This is the maximum acceptable time to pass the course.T.C.

MembersZone Subscriber
    911 N. Sycamore St. Yep, that's really our address.

One mintue is the IL state standard also (starting with turnouts on as you described).

University of Illinois Fire Service Institute puts on a "Smoke Divers" class once or twice every year. Graduates must be ready in under 45 secs, and I have heard times as fast as 25 secs.
    Omnis Cedo Domus

www.hinckleyfd.org

Forum Member

Hey Pardner .......I aint trying to bust on ya .........but who sets that ? I am not sure if we have a statewide standard on this here in Ohio........hmmmmmmmmmm
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

Originally posted by Rescue101
    This includes all PPE,Air pack on,tank pressure announced,all safety checks done,gloved and ready to go.
    You forgot PASS activated, damn I forgot it too. Oh well, try again. Thank God for Scott 5.0's

When I first took Mod 2 (SCBA) I had hooks and snaps and Scott 2.0's, just barely made it under 2 minutes. New gear has velcro and zippers and our packs are Scott 5.0's with air activated PASS, my time is consistantly 1min 15secs from street clothes to fully geared up. A couple of the young pups in the FD got real close to 1 minute in our last time trials.

IACOJ Fire Boat 1

Forum Member

We do the odd time trial now and again.

We start with turn out gear, and helmet on. Gloves in your pocket, no hood. The SCBA, mask, and hoods are stored as found in the cabinet(s) on the Engine/Rescue.

Time is called when you are on air, and you put your hands up above your head. Then, someone comes over and checks you out to make sure all your straps are done up properly, and that all your equipment checks out (Bottle on, PASS on, Airlines free, etc)

We don't have any established time limits, but everyone tries to beat everyone else.

My best time, to date, has been 37 seconds, but I am usually hovering around 45-60 seconds on an average day.

I remember the very first time I put an SCBA on.... I was well over 5 minutes, and I had every strap twisted up....
    "No one ever called the Fire Department for doing something smart..."

When I went through Fire School we had to do it from turnouts on to fully on air in 30 seconds for Scott, 45 for MSA(Don't ask me why) in order to get full credit on that part of the practical exam. I found this incredibly hard, my best time was 28 seconds, but the intructors claimed the record for that academy was 12 seconds, I ave a hard time believing it...

MembersZone Subscriber

Our Captain and Training Officer has the dept record at 47 seconds from basic turnouts, to full gear with air/PASS on. He also does it with the gear fully packed up in a closed carry case on the floor. The rest of the guys get to work out of the truck compartments.

The rest of us are all around 50-60 seconds. We make 1:30 our basic qualifying time for all rookies.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Forum Member

Originally posted by Weruj1
    Hey Pardner .......I aint trying to bust on ya .........but who sets that ? I am not sure if we have a statewide standard on this here in Ohio........hmmmmmmmmmm
    I believe it is 2 Minutes, I sat in on a basic FF class and they all had to get it all on and be on air within 2 minutes if not they wouldnt pass the class.
    Ryan

I.A.C.O.J. Probie

You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing which you think you cannot do. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Lets not forget those lost on 9-11-01

Forum Member

ok Backdaft .........I know in the basic classes I helped teach we mayeb said you have X minutes to get turned out but I dont know of a state standard ..........I will be doing some checking. The only place I could really imagine one is in the straight 240 class.........
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?

MembersZone Subscriber
    911 N. Sycamore St. Yep, that's really our address.

Originally posted by ChickenDance
    Hey Pardner .......I aint trying to bust on ya .........but who sets that ?
    I am here to help you my friend. For us, it is the Illinois State Fire Marshall. From the Objectives for IL OSFM FFII, Practical section 2-4.12.1: "Don and activate SCBA, within one minute, according to manufacturer's recommendations."

It really isn't that difficult, once you practice a little. The class I am currently teaching all did it by the second night of SCBA practicals. This, unfortunately, was not due to my superior teaching skills, but rather to the fact that they practiced.
    Omnis Cedo Domus

www.hinckleyfd.org

Forum Member

Post Same here...

Originally posted by jaybird210

... "Don and activate SCBA, within one minute, according to manufacturer's recommendations." ...
    PA FFI is the same. 1 minute. Turnouts on only...you may have your helmet and gloves out on the floor and hood around your neck, but that's it. Everyone in my FFI class made it and I had a LOT of white hats in my class-- 2 dept chiefs, 2 asst/batallion chiefs, 2 capts!!!

At least there's integrated PASS...but you do have to check the bottle level when you turn it on. A tough instructor might ask you to tell him the number without looking at the integrated PASS/gauge! Need to have the chin strap fastened, too!! As my deputy chief says: 'You never see a helmet with a chin, do you?!"
    Once again....the above views are my own and not that of my department. (And probably should not be construed as having any real meaning, whatsoever!)

IACOJ

Forum Member

Talking Pass this!

304,Hehe, is not the pass one of the basic safety checks?What about the Scott intergrated pass?Air on, pass on!Catch me sleeping did we?NOT!I didn't lay it out step for step but feel free.I'm pretty comfortable with the passing results though.T.C.

Forum Member

Default Re: Pass this!

Originally posted by Rescue101
    Catch me sleeping did we?NOT!
    I guess I have to get up a little earlier in the morning, eh? Hehehe, Its just that I've forgotten the damn thing enought times too

Devil, per the Maine standard we have to check bottle pressure when we turn it on, call out the pressure, then verify the octopus gauge matches and call out the verification.

IACOJ Fire Boat 1

Forum Member

I dont know what floridas standard is, but I take my time,
    check myself and my partner then we go in. I dont see the
    need to play superman changing in a phone booth. Do it
    right, check your team, assemble your tools,then go play

MembersZone Subscriber

One of the NFPA standards states the apparatus should leave the station within one minute of the alarm bell (for the paid guys)....now we all know we are not sitting around in our bunker gear and it takes 1.5 minutes or so to pack up w/SCBA but I have yet to see someone pack up completely wearing a seatbelt.....So how do you reolve the conflicting standards?

The guys leaving from the station usually have jump seats with the SCBA built in, right? They can don the SCBA on the way and only need to take care of dressing before getting on the apparatus.

MembersZone Subscriber

Here in NC it's a minute and a half from street clothes

BUT

We don't emphasize speed--we emphasize correctness!

want the newguys learning how to do it right and they will get speed with practice (repetition).
    "When you are safe at home, you wish you were having an adventure-when you're having an adventure, you wish you were safe at home"

--Thornton Wilder

Forum Member

Originally posted by engine23ccvfd
    ...So how do you reolve the conflicting standards?
    Usually SCBA are either in seats of in high side compartments and are donned at the scene. The only issue is to get into your bunkers before jumping in the truck.

IACOJ Fire Boat 1

MembersZone Subscriber

Back in 1976 I held the record of 28 seconds from box to donned and functioning. (All safety checks included)

This, of course, was the old style Scott, breast clip, un-connected dragonfly facepiece, chest mounted regulator, threaded waist strap.

Even the boxes were made of some prehistoric material...not plastic, with metal clips and everything.

MembersZone Subscriber

So how do you reolve [SP] the conflicting standards?
    Adapt and overcome!

Forum Member

210 I wasnt saying that the one minute was wrong .........I had no idea that a state had a standard .........how fascinating ! and I think that some of your expertise had something to do with it !
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607

Forum Member

Lightbulb Artie dating himself

229,that space age material was called fibreboard.Had real metal corners and metal buckle latches too.When I started we had 2,yes 2 of them.Scott 1's with steel bottles.My how far we've come.I'd like to see some of todays generation do what we've done in them.A different time and place,but a truly educational and caring time.Many things have changed,not necessarily for the better.45" coats and 3/4 boots too,summers were much more comfortable.NAP's and 1.5 no where near the knockdown of todays 2".You do bring back the memories!T.C.

Forum Member

Default SCBA Donning Times

We do these time drills also, but practically speaking they're kind of ridiculous. From street clothes to bunker gear on, breathing air just doesen't happen for us. Most of the time you throw your bunker gear on, or most of the way on, jump in the engine(jump seats), get all your pack straps on and bottle on, do a quick function check, and your good to go.

Forum Member

Well we also practice what we call a Chinese fire drill.On a smoke training evolution put a team "down"activate the RIT and draw another team from rehab.You best be getting dressed in under 2 here,your brothers are "down"!How's that helping the practicality of getting dressed quick.It's a valuable lesson and a good drill.If you hold your people to the standard you will find that once learned,they will pretty much stay on speed and accuracy thru repetition.Doesn't have a place?I guess we're not in agreement on that one.Practicing against the clock as long as it's done safely,can do nothing but improve your operation.We got away from it for several years(we used to pit co.against co.)and operational efficiency suffered.Jump seats are a wonderful thing but I won't see mine for another year.So "quick packing"is a critical performance item here.T.C.

Thread Information