MembersZone Subscriber

Default 3/4 length boots????

I mean this question to be in the most professional manner and do not mean to poke fun or ****** off anyone:

Why does the City of Chicago Fire Department still wear 3/4 length boots? Is it strictly tradition or is it something else? Maybe someone from CFD can enlighten me.

Just something I have always wondered why they never upgraded to bunker pants. Even FDNY upgraded. Thanks!

Forum Member

Although not from there, (and since this has been brought up before), I will say that Boston and and I believe Chicago did a study of burn injuries vs 3/4 boots and bunker pants. If I recall correctly there wasnt that much of a difference and it was then optional for members to choose what they wanted to wear. Certainly the ensemlbe would be much lighter minus the pants. Personly having worn both I have to say I like the pants. Anyone else please clairify my misposting ........
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

MembersZone Subscriber

If it walks like a duck........

Forum Member

If it walks like a duck, will it have 3/4 length boots on?

*Mark
    FTM-PTB-RFB-EGH

Forum Member

Ell-Tee you calling me a duck ?
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?

MembersZone Subscriber

Boston did the heat stress study and allows guys to wear 3/4 now. A CFD friend of mine told me that they haven't gotten around to switching yet because they are still looking into it.
    One thing worth mentioning is that CFD doesn't have a higher rate of burn injury then other big cities. Sure every once in a while someone gets burnt and pants might have prevented it. but the deaths from heart attacks are lower also. Are they related? More study would be needed to say for sure.

I have worn 3/4 and would like to go back or have the option.

Forum Member

Thank you ADSNWFLD !
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607

Forum Member

Talking Yes,I can duck walk

I'm not really sure what Artie's poking at butI spent the first third of my career in 3/4s.If you didn't like roasted knees,you learned to "duck walk".That being said,in the summer months I would LOVE to go back to 3/4s.I think you had a better "feel"of untenable conditions than you do totally encapsulated.I do know that we could work longer without rehabbing in them.Now I'm old and dated so try not to roast me too bad,I'm not suggesting that they are for everyone but I've put out a LOT of fire in a 3/4 boot without injury.Common sense was a bit more plentiful back then and I'd like to call it a kinder/gentler time even though we were working our tails off.Government intervention is NOT always a good thing.Be interesting to see the results of the study when they finish it up.T.C.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thank you for your replies. I don't want to turn this into a debate about boots or bunkers but I was in boots and a long coat when I was an explorer at 3 different houseburns 13 years and it sucked. My knees did get hot. Not to metion my pants got just black. Yes, to those who know about explorer stuff, all I can say is that it was a long time ago and things were different back then. I guess I have been raised on bunkers and just feel weird without them.

I am also curious about the study. Thanks for the info.

Keep your head down and your powder dry.

MembersZone Subscriber

Do you guys think that they will ever let firefighters make their own decision on what they want to wear 3/4's or bunkers? Or will it stay the way it is now?

MembersZone Subscriber

I would like to have the option of 3/4's for MVAs, car fires, etc.

I would also prefer to have them when I'm stuck being the chauffeur/pump operator.

However, I would not feel comfortable doing interior fire attack without bunker pants. I'd rather have "my boys" fully encapsulated.

Does anybody even sell 3/4's anymore? I've never been able to find them online.
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

Forum Member

Servus and Ranger still make them .............and I pretty sure you can buy them @ www.darley.com or whatever the eDarley site is. Hi Moe !
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607

Forum Member

Moe, You should be able to buy them from any vendor. I'm not sure who you guys use for your boot/bunker purchases but I believe most of them can get them for you.

They also come in very handy for the visits from all the sales reps........ Sometimes the S*&$ gets pretty deep from all the smack they talk!!

Forum Member

Had a set of 3/4's as an explorer with a long coat. Cut them down to regular boot size cause I got bunkers. Hmmmm long black coat with high yellow bunkers and a yellow 770c!

Protective Economist

Default Re: 3/4 length boots????

Originally posted by Dickey
    I mean this question to be in the most professional manner and do not mean to poke fun or ****** off anyone:

Why does the City of Chicago Fire Department still wear 3/4 length boots? Is it strictly tradition or is it something else? Maybe someone from CFD can enlighten me.

Just something I have always wondered why they never upgraded to bunker pants. Even FDNY upgraded. Thanks!
    While I am not personally involved in the issue, I am familiar with it. Chicago is in its third evaluation (in about as many years) of bunker gear. The general push is to switch to it, but funding is a primary concern. Outfitting 5000 men with bunkers is roughly a $4.5 million proposition. As we all know, money is not exactly plentiful in most municipal budgets.

As one might also imagine in a large urban FD, there is some disagreement as to which brand/style to go with.

Also, you'll note that 3/4 boots are not part of any NFPA approved protection package. Say what you may about NFPA, but it is certainly the standard on FF safety.

Forum Member

Default NFPA packages

While it is interesting to note that no 3/4 boots are listed as any NFPA ensemble it might interesting to note the SHARP increase in medical problems when we went to total encapsulation.Increased heat related maladies,heart attacks,and shorter work times are all a result of higher protection levels and the "need"to go deeper into the dragon's throat.While I will argue that you have greater protection in full bunkers,I fought a lot of fire in 3/4 and a long coat.No burns and no long term disabilities.But IF you wear 3/4s you BETTER have a brain that works and know when to leave.That in itself is part of the reason for the new standards.There is VERY little common sense on the street anymore so it's a good thing to put them in full gear.But I still FONDLY remember the 3/4 days particularly on the hot days.T.C.
    Last edited by Rescue101; 09-30-2003 at 08:56 AM.

Protective Economist

Default Re: NFPA packages

Originally posted by Rescue101
    While it is interesting to note that no 3/4 boots are listed as any NFPA ensemble it might interesting to note the SHARP increase in medical problems when we went to total encapsulation.Increased heat related maladies,heart attacks,and shorter work times are all a result of higher protection levels and the "need"to go deeper into the dragon's throat.While I will argue that you have greater protection in full bunkers,I fought a lot of fire in 3/4 and a long coat.No burns and no long term disabilities.But IF you wear 3/4s you BETTER have a brain that works and know when to leave.That in itself is part of the reason for the new standards.There is VERY little common sense on the street anymore so it's a good thing to put them in full gear.But I still FONDLY remember the 3/4 days particularly on the hot days.T.C.
    TC, I am the first to admit I do not have the facts to argue this fully. However, could the increase in cardiac events be reflective of society as a whole? America is fat...there is no doubt about it The fire service is a subset of that, though our percentages are probably a bit lower. Heck, I know a guy who needs 58" bunkers! Think it is the bunkers that are stressing his heart, or the 350 lbs on his frame?

Forum Member

Smile You callin' me fat JB?

Yes JB these certainly are factors that enter into the total equasion.Less physically fit,poor eating habits,more protective equipment are all included in our day to day stress.I've aged considerably and cannot do today what I did at twenty.But I could do more,longer,in 3/4 and long coat than I can do in full turnouts with a hood.I've felt my ears folding down toward my ankles,reminding me I had very little time to either alter the fire spread or leave.You DO NOT get that same sense in a hood.I know fire behavior enough to adjust for the difference,but I fear we do not adequately train those with less experience to clearly read these signs.The TICS and other aids certainly help but it still comes down to training,time in and fire experience.Hard to get this job well done in a training tower.T.C.

Thread Information