MembersZone Subscriber

Default Ohio silo explosion

I just saw this on the AP wire. I hope and pray the injuries aren't serious. Does anybody know the details?

-------------------------
    Silo explodes at Ohio lumber company

The Associated Press
    10/1/2003, 10:43 a.m. CT

NEW KNOXVILLE, Ohio (AP) -- A silo at a lumber company in western Ohio exploded Wednesday, injuring seven firefighters and an undetermined number of lumber yard employees, the fire chief said.

Fire Chief Scott Sehroer did not know the extent of the injuries. Witnesses said two people were taken by helicopter to a hospital.

Sehroer said firefighters got a call shortly before 7 a.m. about a fire at the Hoge Lumber Co. They were hosing down dust in an effort to avoid an explosion when the explosion occurred, he said.

"What we had here was a dust silo that feeds the boiler for the lumber company," Sehroer said. "They've had fires in these before."

A woman who answered the telephone at the lumber yard said no one was available to talk.

"We're keeping our lines open for emergencies," she said before hanging up.

Fire departments from New Knoxville, New Breman, Wapakoneta and St. Marys Township responded.

New Knoxville, a village of about 900 people, is about 50 miles north of Dayton.

Disillusioned Subscriber

Firefighter Kenneth Jutte of the New Bremen Fire Department was pronounced dead at 9:40 a.m. He was thrown from the top of the silo when the explosion occurred. There was another firefighter thrown from an aerial bucket. It was reported that he is in critical condition. A third firefighter was reported injured, but those injuries were not life threatening.

NBC4Columbus news
    Last edited by Steamer; 10-01-2003 at 02:40 PM.
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT
    ----------------------------
    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

MembersZone Subscriber

Unfortunately, a second firefighter has died of injuries sustained while fighting this fire.

Our prayers are with the fallen, their families, and their departments.
    Proud to be honored with IACOJ membership. Blessed by TWO meals cooked by Cheffie - a true culinary goddess. Expressing my own views, not my organization's.

Sr. Information Officer

Unhappy

May our brothers rest in everlasting peace. May the Lord bless and comfort the families, the department...and the friends of our departed brothers.

Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

Sr. Information Officer

Unhappy LODDs New Bremen FD

NEW KNOXVILLE -- A small town fire department in western Ohio is reeling after losing two of its firefighters in an explosion.

At least nine other people were taken to hospitals this morning after the blast blew the top off a silo at the Hoge Lumber Company in New Knoxville.

Both firefighters killed are from the New Bremen fire department.

They were spraying water inside the 75-foot tall silo when the explosion occurred.

New Bremen firefighter Kenneth Jutte was pronounced dead at a hospital in St. Marys.

Hours later a second firefighter died at St. Rita's hospital in Lima.

New Knoxville fire chief Scott Schroer says firefighters were working at a fire at the silo and were hosing down sawdust to prevent the kind of explosion that happened.

Authorities say the fire was reported at 7 a.m. and the explosion happened just before 9 a.m.

Forum Member

Unhappy

Rest In Peace Brothers. May the Lord embrace and watch over you and your families forever. God Bless.

From antoher EMT, To everyone who puts their life on the line everyday,God Bless, Take Care and Stay Safe.
    Last edited by brubaker; 10-01-2003 at 09:04 PM.
    Bruce Baker

Medic Student, EMT-I, EMT-I instructor, Haz-Mat FRO

Fraternal Order Of Paramedics Society Member

R.I.P. 343, 9/11/01, God Bless America.
    "ALWAYS REMEMBER, NEVER FORGET!"

Forum Member

The thoughts, prayers and condolences of myself and Lewiston Fire Company No. 2 are with the New Bremen FD, the friends and families of The Firefighters. May you rest in peace brothers.
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Firefighter
    IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

Forum Member

My thoughts and prayers go out to all our brothers an sisters in New Bremen FD.

Forum Member

Default God Bless our brothers

Our prayers are with our fallen brothers, their families, loved ones, and our brothers in western Ohio. God Bless them and grant his peace to their loved ones.

MembersZone Subscriber

You'll never be forgotten nor your families alone.

Forum Member

Condolences to the New Breman FD.........
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Kenneth Jutte had been a firefighter for 18 years. He was pronounced dead at 9:40 a.m., less than an hour after the explosion. John Garman, a 10-year veteran, died two hours later at St. Rita's Medical Center in Lima, the department said.

Rest in Peace My thought and prayers are with the Jutte and Garman families, their friends and the New Bremen Fire Department.
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Forum Member

Unhappy

Rest in peace brothers.

MembersZone Subscriber

Rest in peace Brothers.
    AKA: Mr. Whoo-Whoo

IAFF Local 3900

IACOJ-The Crusty Glow Worm

ENGINE 302 - The Fire Rats

F.A.N.T.A.M FOOLS FTM-PTB

MembersZone Subscriber

May our Brothers rest in peace and may their families and fellow firefighters from New Bremen FD find some comfort in this tragic time.

Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

MembersZone Subscriber

Default More Detailed Information on the New Bremen LODD

Folks,
    Here's a link to an article from Toledo - a major city about an hour north of where the fire/explosion was:

http://www.toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs...WS17/110020143

From what I've been able to gather, one of the firefighters who was killed was on the top of the silo which exploded and the other was in the bucket of an aerial tower beside the roof of the silo. A second firefighter on the roof of the silo was blown to the ground and injured.

I've not seen any funeral/memorial information yet.
    Proud to be honored with IACOJ membership. Blessed by TWO meals cooked by Cheffie - a true culinary goddess. Expressing my own views, not my organization's.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default New Bremen - 1st Funeral

From the Sidney Ohio newspaper:

enneth J. Jutte
    Died: Wednesday, October 01, 2003

NEW BREMEN - Kenneth J. Jutte, 44, of 07449 Forest Lane North, died in the Emergency Room of Joint Twp. Dist. Memorial Hospital in St. Marys on Wednesday, Oct. 1, 2003, at 9:45 a.m. as a result of injuries he received in the line of duty as a New Bremen Firefighter.

A Mass of Christian Burial will be held on Saturday, Oct. 4, 2003, at 10:30 a.m. at the Church of the Holy Redeemer, New Bremen with the Rev. Thomas Mannebach officiating. Burial will be in the German Protestant Cemetery, New Bremen.

Calling hours will be on Friday, Oct. 3, 2003, from 2 until 8 p.m. and on Saturday from 9:30 until 10:10 a.m. at the Church of the Holy Redeemer. The Rosary will be prayed prior to the services.

Forum Member

Thanks Paul for the info, I know there is tlak of FF's fofrm here trying to go there for services.How far away is this from you ? I have actually been to New Bremen although is was some years ago. What a tragic day.
    PS-also check out www.Daytondailynews.com for pics
    Last edited by Weruj1; 10-02-2003 at 11:59 AM.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

MembersZone Subscriber

Unhappy

My thoughts and prayers are with the Jutte and Garman families, their friends and the New Bremen Fire Department.

rest in peace

MembersZone Subscriber

Default New Bremen Funeral

New Bremen is probably a 2 1/2 - 3 hour drive for me. I'm about 45 min due east of Cincinnati. I'm scheduled to run as the medic on my vollie dept that day, but may be able to get coverage and go. If I do, I'll PM you with my cell phone # & we can meet in person.

Steamer may try to come. I don't want to speak for him, but he usually tries to make as many of these as he can.

MembersZone Subscriber

Funeral Info from Chief Goldfedder's TSL:

The details for the two firefighters killed yesterday from the New Bremen, Ohio FD are as follows:

Firefighter Ken Jude
    Viewing-Friday Evening 4 pm-8 pm-October 3, 2003
    Funeral-Saturday Morning 1030 hours-October 4, 2003

Firefighter John Garman
    Viewing-Sunday 2pm-8pm-October 5, 2003
    Funeral-Monday Morning 1030 hours-October 6, 2003

All related above activities will be held at the Holy Redeemer Church located on Eastmore Drive, in the Village of New Bremen.

Directions: I-75 to the State Route 274 Exit...proceed WEST on SR 274 into New Bremen. The church is right off State Route 274. You will be directed as you approach the church. New Bremen is about an hour north of Dayton, Ohio. Additional information may be available at other www sites. We just received this from the Village Clerk of New Bremen... and have no additional details.
    -----------------------------------------------

I'll be attending FF Garman's funeral on Monday morning along with some other FF's from the Toledo area.
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

Sr. Information Officer

Unhappy

I will be there in spirit. God Bless!

District Chief

My thoughts and prayers are with the members of this department as well as their families as they struggle through yet another horrible tragedy in our brotherhood. God Bless you all!
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

MembersZone Subscriber

My prayers go out to the families, friends, and loved ones of these two brave men. What a tragic loss.

Forum Member

Rest in Peace, Brothers.
    I.A.C.O.J. Firefighter/EMT-B

"I'm gonna drill a hole in your skull and pump out all the stupidity"
    Gunny Ermey

"Never underestimate the Power of Stupid People in Large Groups"

Humpty Dumpty was pushed

Polishing the Chrome on all the IACOJ "apparati"

Thread Information