Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default FDNY lands new duty Feds turn over Gov's Island

It was an early and final exit for six federal firefighters who left Governors Island yesterday as the city began taking over the historic site.Fire protection for the 172-acre island becomes the FDNY's job because the former military outpost transfers from federal to city and state control today."We all had tears in our eyes when we left," said Assistant Chief Terence McSweeney, 53, a federal firefighter on the island for 17 years.McSweeney and his men said they were urged to leave six hours early after an FDNY chief put a team in place.
    "We weren't even given the respect to finish our tour," said federal Firefighter Rich Hyland, 39, who was stationed there for seven years.
    Their exit upset community activists from the People's Firehouse - Engine Co. 212 on Wythe Ave. in Willamsburg - one of six closed in May because of budget cuts.They charged the city shouldn't be protecting a nearly deserted island when it closed six fire companies in Brooklyn, Queens and Manhattan.Adding insult to their perceived injury, the fire truck yanked from the People's Firehouse despite heavy protest is going to Governors Island.
    "That's our rig," said Kurt Hill, 54, director of outreach and anti-arson programs for the People's Firehouse, a nonprofit community group named after the shuttered facility.
    "That's from the People's Firehouse, and they are taking it from a community of ... 200,000, and they are stationing it at an almost deserted island, and we think that's just absolutely absurd," he said.
    The FDNY said for now it is staffing Governors Island with a unit half the size of the federal contingent - a brush fire unit of one officer and two firefighters. The estimated annual cost - $800,000 - is to be shared by the city and the state.Usually there are only about 50 emergency runs on the island the entire year. McSweeney and his men said the last fire in a building was a small kitchen blaze several years ago.FDNY spokesman Frank Gribbon said the Governors Island unit will respond to brush fires and medical emergencies but will not do interior blazes. If one should break out, union rules mandate a larger force be ferried in from surrounding companies, he said.

ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
    LT. John Ginley Engine 40
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
    FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
    FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
    FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
    FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
    FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
    FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
    "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
    *******************CLICK HERE*****************

Signs left for the FDNY brothers who were "ORDERED" to man this island indicate we wanted to take away these jobs. Nothing could be further from the truth!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

"This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

This is so ****ed (see I'm trying to be ladylike today)

September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Fire Protection on Governor's Island - Governor's Island was owned by the Federal Government for many years and was under jurisdiction of the U.S. Coast Guard. During this time, fire protection was provided by Federal Firefighters who were union firefighters and members of the I.A.F.F., Local F-0087. In April of 2002, Local F-0087 sent a letter to me and then UFA, Local 94 President, Kevin Gallagher. The Federal Firefighters asked us for our support to retain their jobs, either as civil service or otherwise. I called Local F87 immediately and told them that I would assist in any way possible and would support them as long as the Federal Government funded them and they remained as Federal Firefighters but would never support a private Fire Department. I also told them that the issue should be addressed through the I.A.F.F. 1st District V.P., Kevin Gallagher and the I.A.F.F. District 16 V.P., which represents Federal Firefighters.

I did not hear back from Local F-0087, but in April 2003, Chief Estebo of the Governor's Island Fire Department made a proposal to reorganize the Federal Firefighters as New York State Firefighters. The main theme of his letter was that he could do it cheaper than the FDNY. It should be noted that there is no civil service title for State Firefighters. In his letter, he states that future firefighters could be recruited from volunteer fire departments and there would be no need to train them again at a fire academy. I objected to Chief Estebo's proposal in the strongest terms to the I.A.F.F.

We were notified several months ago that the Federal Government would stop funding the Governor's Island Fire Department on September 30, 2003. The FDNY made plans to provide fire protection as it does for the entire City. As such, the Department is soliciting volunteers to fill this new company. We want our members to step up and fill these vacancies. It is unfortunate that the Federal Firefighters are losing their jobs, but the Federal land was sold to New York City and State. It is our firm position that fire protection in this City be provided by the FDNY, staffed by members of the UFA, Local 94 and UFOA, Local 854. It should be noted that there was talk of Rural - Metro providing fire protection. It should be further noted that most of the current Federal Firefighters were hired at "term" employees, that is, they were hired with the understanding that their employment would not be permanent.

There is a letter currently being circulated by the Governor's Island Fire Department asking I.A.F.F. Brothers not to support the attempt by the FDNY to provide fire protection for Governor's Island. The letter is unsigned and not authorized by I.A.F.F Local F87. I have requested a meeting with the I.A.F.F. Local F87 on this issue.

Capt. Peter L. Gorman (Engine40) President Local894
    Last edited by E40FDNYL35; 10-03-2003 at 07:06 AM.
    ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
    LT. John Ginley Engine 40
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
    FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
    FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
    FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
    FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
    FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
    FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
    "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
    *******************CLICK HERE*****************

Default GIFD

Well the other shoe finally dropped. It's been 7 years since the first one fell, July 96 to be exact. Back in 96 a few of us read the writing on the wall and took transfers to other CG and DOD installations. The CG made every attempt to offer positions or buyouts. Some tough chioce had to made. Homes sold, families and friend left behind,children uprooted and relocated. The ones that stayed behind... well we know what happen . I don't blame our FDNY brothers I.A.F.F. Local 94/ Local 854. It's sad that it had to go down this way. This chapter is finally close. One movie comes to mind... Titanic Local F-298

Thread Information