Thread: daily pass on

Forum Member

Default daily pass on

What does your dept do for a daily pass on?
    ie, written log, Firehouse software, kitchen table?

We are supposed to pass on pertinent info each day at shift change(we work 24 on/48 off) It doesn't seem to be working very well and we're looking for a new way so important info isn't lost between the shifts.

Forum Member

Well certainly anything pertaining to the truck you're assigned to should be passed to the incoming guy or gal taking your slot. For example, we used narcotics last night out of ambulance1 but the pharmacy was closed, so that has to be done today when your crew goes to the hospital. Often a shift leader, captain, BC, might tell the oncoming leader what the basic activity was in the previous day, such as major equipment issues, words that came down from the chief, details or activities planned for the day, etc. A morning roundtable can work out well when the previous shift has already left, individuals have gotten an update about each truck, and the officer can bring to the table plans & notices for the day. That should work out pretty well for ya. I mean, you'll want to beat your coworker in the head the first time something is left that he/she didn't tell you about (as I know this happens), but when we do what we can to keep our buddies up to speed, it should work pretty well. Good luck!
    ~Kevin
    Firefighter/Paramedic
    --^v--^v--^v--^v--
    Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong
    Dennis Miller

MembersZone Subscriber

Default PAss on

At my old Department we used to line up on going shift and off going shift. Do roll call and then pass on any info the crew needs to know. It worked well for us.
    I am now a fed ff and the captians meet in the office. Pass on any info, we also have a regular flip calendar with the same info on it. There is also a crew sheet that has the time the person reported for work, Assignment for that day and below that is the pass on info again in writing. We only have two shifts so both shifts are on the same pc of paper. We have a crew meeting after that which includes a safety briefing and what ever needs to be passed on. Works great for us!

Greg

Forum Member

Thanks for the response guys.
    The issue is not what's passed on but how we pass it on. With three shifts, say A shift passes the daily info to B shift, if B shift doesn't let C shift know, then there's the problem.
    Right now we do it at the kitchen table during shift change as well as on a special clip board in our office.

Rabble rouser

I think I know what you are talking about now. Not the everyday, "used the water can and filled it back up". You are talking about important stuff like, "The fire alarm at 6402 Blarney Stone has been taken down. They are on fire watch." or "Quadroplegic visiting at 427 2nd Street in back bedroom."

We have a 'Pass On Book' which is nothing more than a journal to put important things for all shifts to know. It is reviewed every morning at the shift line up.

At my old Department we used to line up on going shift and off going shift. Do roll call and then pass on any info the crew needs to know. It worked well for us.
    That would **** me off. If i've had a rough shift and I'm relieved at 0600, I want to be outta here at 0601.
    Member IACOJ - Building crust and full of lust...

"It's okay to to scared, just don't be chicken." - Clark

Forum Member

Murphy's Laws of firefighting states....

Even with all of the message pads, emails, clip boards and face to face transfers of information, something wil always get left out... and it's usually the most important thing on the agenda for the day!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

Kobersteen
    To make things worse, we had to be in Dress uniform to and from work, including tie, dress hat then when you went on shift changed uniforms to the class B and if we were painting hydrants or laying hose we would change again to a t shirt. 3 uniforms for one job each day!
    greg

Forum Member

We do it every morning at the dining room table over coffee and leftovers from chow. Kind of like a B.S. session and it works pretty dam well. Most of the other shifts crew and mine stay at least 45 minutes and just talk about what was done, needs to be done and just plain talk with each other. It's very informal but like I said it works great for us.

Thread Information