Forum Member

Question Front bumper hose lays

Does any body have any good hose lays for front bumper lines? My department carries 100' of 1.50" single jacket hose in the front bumper tray. Right now we just do a according lay (back and forth). It's hard to get the lines stretched out quickly when you really need it. Any ideas? Thanks.

MembersZone Subscriber

Take a look at the double donut rolls that Rattlesnake, CO. use.

Using 50' sections you can stretch & flake the entire line in 25' of space.

http://www.geocities.com/Baja/Trails/7873/Index6.html
    Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

Forum Member

Depending on tray size. We have 100' 1 3/4" and different crews do different things. We triple layer and it deploys very well.

Forum Member

we use one 100' flat load on two of our engines.

Rabble rouser

I have seen two different ways of approaching the bumper line here. We keep 100' preconnected and 50' spare in the tray.

1) Donut the two 50' sections seperately and then attach one to the preconnect and the other to the nozzle. Then attach the two sections to each other. Donut the last 50' and just put in the tray as an extra.

2) Put a seatbelt in the tray and basically zig-zag flat load the hose. When finished, fasten the seatbelt around the load to make a big square of flat loaded hose. To deploy, just take the belt with the big sqauer of hose, put it on the ground, hit the seat belt relase and walk away.
    Member IACOJ - Building crust and full of lust...

"It's okay to to scared, just don't be chicken." - Clark

Talking

On our front line engine we have 100' of 1 3/4" line in the front bumper. We use a rope with hook to put around the hose. First load enough hose into the bumper to reach the ground, then place the rope tool into box and load the hose back and forth across. After loading in the rest of the hose, just take the hook and run it through the loop of the rope. To lay the line you pick up the rope and set the hose on the ground. Undo the rope tool and you are ready to stretch the line. This works well for our department.

MembersZone Subscriber

We have 150' of 1 3/4" hose in the front bumpers of our 2 engines, with vindicator nozzles. Flows about 240 gpms. We lay the first bit of hose from front to rear, a little long, then lay the rest side to side. This leaves some "ears" to help pull the lay out.
    Last edited by hvfd507; 10-29-2003 at 10:45 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

all of our engines have a hose well in the front bumper with 100' of 1 3/4" line with a fog nozzle in it. This line is used as a car fire trash line. Our company uses an acordian load. We have 50' dead load then 50' connected to a discarge on the front bumper. The majority of the time we are able to park the rig within 50' so the 1 line is enough. It is quick and easy to pull 50'. If we do need the extra 50' then the engineer will add it to the line after the nozzle man has stretched it. Most of our engines do it this way. There are some that choose to have the whole 100' connected. The nozzle man grabs the nozzle and the engineer helps pull the line out of the well. This makes it a quick operation. There is a company who has the 100' preconnected in a flat load they take the first folds and have the ends extend above the top of the well then pack the rest inside these folds this way someone can just grab the bottom folds and pull the whole hose out of the well and put it on the ground and stretch it from there. either way 1 or 2 people can get the line stretched about as fast as you can walk.

Forum Member

We recently switched from a flat load to an accordian load on our front trash line with great sucess. The load consists of 2 full layers and a half top layer, accordian loaded, allowing the nozzle man to grab the nozzle with one hand and the top layer with the other while the back-up takes the rest. I recently was able to experience the new load at a car fire and I must say it was possible the easiest & fastest I have ever seen a trash line removed from the bumper & flanked out.

BTW, we use 100' or 1 1/2" with a TFT on our trash line. We have a new pumper being built which will have the same configuration.

We recently experimented with something we saw in "The Other" trade journal that they do up there in PG County, Kentland to be specific. We squeezed 150ft of 1 1/2 into a space that only holds 100' in a flat load by making dog ears come over the edges, similar to speedlays. You do three columns of that then stuff a donut roll down in there. The nozzle man takes the donut roll and slips his arm throught he other three loops to pull the whole load. We chose not to continue with this configuration, simply because a flat load is so easy to stick in there.
    Now, in my other department we just make two loops to start, flat lay all the hose, then run one loop through the other to make a hand hold for the whole bundle. This works very well to clear all the hose and make a stack of hose largely free of kinks and catches that is easy to stretch.

Forum Member

Dang . I just spent 45 mins looking at those rattlesnake rigs .

How much they give for each of those . They look expensive

MembersZone Subscriber

Post Front bumper hose lays

We have 150' of 1 3/4 in the front bumper and we keep a backboard strap around it and when we need it you just pull it out on the ground and stretch it out. It works pretty good but a little tough to get out sometimes. After you get it out unhook the strap and it stretches out pretty fast.
    JASONSFD LADDER 5
    IAFF L2801 WOODEN LADDERS AND IRON MEN

Forum Member

We carry 100' of 1 3/4" in our front bumper trays. After trying different loads it was decided that the Triple Layer load worked best. It's great for a trash line and works well when you don't have a lot of room to flake out the hose.

Derek
    Orlando Fire Department

Forum Member

How do you guys secure the 1 1/2 inch nozzle on the front of your bumper? Seems like you have the hose tray pretty full on the front bumper when you put 150 feet of hose in those bumper trays. We're trying to find a good way to keep the 1 1/2 inch nozzle secure on the bumper.
    thanks.......

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Poochy View Post
    How do you guys secure the 1 1/2 inch nozzle on the front of your bumper? Seems like you have the hose tray pretty full on the front bumper when you put 150 feet of hose in those bumper trays. We're trying to find a good way to keep the 1 1/2 inch nozzle secure on the bumper.
    thanks.......
    Maybe a holder or something. We run 100' on ours, maybe you could take 50' off and then your nozzle could go in.Just an idea.

MembersZone Subscriber

We run 200 feet of 1 inch forestry hose. Flat lay.

MembersZone Subscriber

http://blackwoodfire.org/docs/FRONTB...ESTORATION.pdf

This has worked well for us. 150' packed with a donut roll and 2 horseshoe lengths. The attached is a powerpoint from our website that describes it pretty well.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by jasonsfd View Post
    We have 150' of 1 3/4 in the front bumper and we keep a backboard strap around it and when we need it you just pull it out on the ground and stretch it out. It works pretty good but a little tough to get out sometimes. After you get it out unhook the strap and it stretches out pretty fast.
    We do the exact same thing except we use two straps. We will hook the hose up lay on layers in tray than put the straps in. This way we pick the bundle up and lay it on the ground. The first layer not strapped gives us enough hose to get out of the tray and onto the ground. Ours has a lid on it to secure everything. The hose plus a TFT combination nozzle fits.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Halligan84 View Post

This has worked well for us. 150' packed with a donut roll and 2 horseshoe lengths. The attached is a powerpoint from our website that describes it pretty well.
    That looks pretty darn neat if I dont say so myself.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

Thanks Halligan84, looks great. I'll have to have the guys give it a try and see how it works for us during a practice. Anyone secure the nozzle to the bumper to prevent it from falling out? Anyone else out here with phots like Halligan84? You did a great job putting that power point together. Ed

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Halligan84 View Post

Chief,

Thats awesome, I'm gonna take it to use at work and hopefully better sell the idea. This will be of great benefit for our new engine thats designed with 2 front bumper preconnects. The slideshow shows it much better than trying to explain it to people using a picture of the finished load.

MembersZone Subscriber

duplicate post

MembersZone Subscriber

We just stuff the nozzle down in there, never a problem with it coming loose. The powerpoint is the work of a couple of our captains, they are working on another one for our 300' minuteman and the long leader line. The load is very functional and quick to deploy, I think you will like it. One of our Lt's is a long time Kentland member, which is where this bumper load came from, and has taught us some great stuff with engine work.

Forum Member

I'll be looking forward to seeing the minuteman powerpoint Halligan84. Let me know when you get it done..Thanks......Ed

MembersZone Subscriber

This is our front bumper set up 100' 1 3/4 CAFS line.Or it can be disconnected and hook a 2 1/2 to it.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Thread Information