Thread: Training Ideas

Forum Member

Default Training Ideas

My department has recently seen a flux in the popularity of the junior program we have. Having so many newer junior members along with some experienced juniors, we have found a road block in their training. In the past, they have been allowed to participate in regular dept. training with the exception of live fire burns and a few other inherently dangerous activities. However, the juniors had always learned their role/responsibilities from the older juniors. Also, they were usually guided by some of the regular firefighters on their supporting role on the fireground.

We are currently looking to begin a specialized junior training program that would allow those juniors to meet, outside regular training. This outside training needs to contain topics that are pertinent to them and is not overly complex. My question to you then, the current juniors/explorers, is: what sort of training/topics would you suggest we employ to keep their interest while teaching them the proper lessons on their responsibilities and their supporting role in the fire dept. all while preparing them for senior membership?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Stay safe.
    Jonathan Martin
    martinj@wpi.edu
    WPI Mechanical Engineering
    "Be safe, use smoke detectors...be safer, sleep with a firefighter..."

Forum Member

Default Training can be difficult

With the limitations placed on training, I will admit that back when I was Captain it was hard to "entertain" the training need so this is what I did.

First we went through trucks, and built a foundation of knowing what stuff did, and what it was used for. Always build the foundation...

Then we did hose rolls, double donut, whichever ones your department use. Then we started getting into more fun things...

Juniors are allowed to climb ground ladders not exceeding I think 35 feet? We used I think 25 foot extension ladders and 10 foot ground ladders, for anything over this we generally will use the snorkel, but anyways just general ladder operations (carrying, set-up, take-down)

For other ideas I suggest that you get yur hands on a Basic Firefighting Book Volume 4 I think is the latest, and look at the "Blue Pages". The "Blue Pages" contain things that you must be able to do in basic. Take the stuff out of that book that your company will ALLOW you to do. If you need any more guidance, just email me.
    Firefighter/EMT Mitch Cowen
    Hose Co. 1 1st Lieutenant
    Randolph Fire Co. Inc

Forum Member

Default Training for Juniors

Im not too sure about your department but last night myself and the junior department took part in 45 second drills. Boy did we sweat. After we had all donned the packs we decided to do a little search and rescue. SO our "TRAINING OFFICER" decided to put a litlle piece of brown plastic about 8" by 3" on a bar stool in the lounge upstairs. So we get on our hands and knees ON AIR and crawl up the stairs into the meeting room and search for 4 minutes grab the plastic and out we go. Im not sure if ur allowed to use air off the fireground. Another suggestion is to go through a mock "CALL" scenario if u are allowed to run the radio. Just work on your signals and all that good stuff so that you are up to snuff on that.

"Stick"

rfcmitch, you make a great point by the Blue Pages of the Essentials of FireFighting Volume 4. Yes, 4 is the latest.

My Explorers love to do SCBA search and rescue training, we are particular to putting wax paper over our SCBA FaceMasks and going from there.

Pumping is also a favorite, along with that comes nozzlework. Good time to practice and get experience on being a nozzleman.

Thats the basic stuff that you can start out with, of course after the basic running through the trucks and the FireHouse itself.

Hope that helps.
    IACOJ

I missed a few other things that I thought should be mentioned.

Hose rolling, and not actual ventilation, but the science behind it, and how to run the fans and such.

There is an endless supply of ideas that could be turned into a Training Regiment. Just pick what you need and make it happen.

These things along with what others have mentioned should be entertaining alone. These are the concepts of FireFighting and if one wants to be a FireFighter, these training excersizes should be entertaining. I dont know, there could be somehting I am missing however.

Once again, hope I helped.
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Very recently my department started a cadet program allowing members to join at 14 rather than 16 which had been the practice beforehand. We picked up two cadets, one junior, and two probationary members in a months time. The Captains, myself, and one other "senior" junior held drills introducing the new members to the department and firefighting. We had one drill reguarding PPE and SCBA, one reguarding the principles of ventilation, one involving basic engine operations, and one involving basic truck operations. Although it was only the basics we were teaching, we thought of new ways to introduce the topics. Several regular members attended as well as a refresher (or maybe it was to get away from their wives for the night). The basics do get boring, but if you can present them in a different way it will make for a more enjoyable training experience.
    Rob
    Captain
    Logan Township Fire Dept.
    Gloucester County, NJ

Standard Disclaimer: These are my opinions and do not necessarily reflect those of my department.

MembersZone Subscriber

You guys are right on. Develop the basics before you move on to anything else. Especially being juniors, the basics are what you need to know like the back of your hand. Put alot of emphesis on truck familiarization. Make sure everybody knows where all the tools are. So if someone says "Hey, grab me the rabbit tool" or "hey, get a closet hook" you'll know exactly where they are. As juniors, that's one of your main missions. I realize you have juniors that are "more experienced" or older, but make sure you have a regular firefighter supervising you guys when you train. I'm not saying that you are incompetent or anything, it's just safer to have a senior firefighter there to help. Well, just offering words of encouragement, keep up the good work!

Stay safe,

Matt
    "At one point we decided to fight fire with fire, basically your house just burned faster."

Recipient of the IACOJ Service Award 2003.

makes good girls go bad

There are some very good training ideas in the main page of FH.com near the bottom. I have copied and pasted them to a Word document for later use. They look very good, and cant wait to use them
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Forum Member

I'm not famillar with your rules Beacuse we can particapate in all traning including live burns. if you get a call for a structure fire are you allowed to go on it????

good traning things are scba search and rescue, we put our nomexs on backwards so we can't see, turn the t.v. on to a static channel and turn the vol. up to simmulate noise on the fire ground.you could also do hydrant set up and opperating.

you also might want to get them trained in medical stuff too. such as back boarding, splints, c-collars, loadind/ unloading stetchers, stokes basket packing.

Also going to waterball tournaments. if you don't know what water ball is Please contact me.
    Last edited by Moose2028; 10-28-2003 at 12:47 PM.
    IF YOU FOLLOW ALL OF THE RULES YOU MISS ALL OF THE FUN.

Moose (Post 2028 Vice President/ Command Officer)Explorer Highland Twp. Fire/Rescue Dept.

Any Questions Contact Me At Moose20282@yahoo.com

These Are My Opinions, Not that of My Dept. or Any other Orgnazition I Belong to.

Thread Information