Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Lightbulb Portable Extinguisher Pan

Hey everyone. I am a student employee with the safety services on a college campus. I am looking to build a pan to fill with flammable liquids and light for extinguisher training. Has any one out ther built one before? What are some good practices or ideas? Is there anything to avoid or watch out for? If you all have any comments, suggestions, or tips I would greatly appreciate them.

MembersZone Subscriber

my suggestion is go buy one. we use a morter pan that masons use to mix concrete in, it is about 20x20 at the bottom and 36x36 at the top. Then we fill it about half way with water then add a couple gallons of diesel and a gallon of gasoline. The gasoline makes it ignite easier, and we use a metal rod with rags tied to the end to light with. Then when the pan starts to come apart, which takes a while, we go buy another one.

Forum Member

hello there
    What I would suggest would be to go out and buy one. I bought one for our department and it works great, it's called the tutor not sure who makes it but I can find the number for it and get it to you if you would like the cost was about $3500 which sounds like a lot but it's not once you figure the cost to make one every time you need to use one. i'll find the number and get back with you

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Burn Pan

You need to focus on SAFE training. Buy a commercially available burn pan. Let someone else take that liability. To that end, the use of diesel and gas is old school. Most communities and nearly all industrial/commercial occupancies now must comply with strict environmental restrictions and open burning of deisel and gas increasingly isn't an option. Secondly, it's too easy for the fuel your burning to be splashed out of the pan with the use of an extinguisher causing potential fire spread and certainly staining of the surface the pan is setting on.

Look into purchasing one of the new LPG burn pans. These typically have a difuser which distributes the LPG under the water contained in the pan. As the LPG bubbles up to the surface of the water it will burn vigorously. The water acts as a backflow preventer and if the fire must be stopped quickly due to extinguishment failure all you have to do is turn the quarter turn valve off and the fire is out and there is no more fuel to burn. My cost for this unit was approximately $900.00 delivered.

Here is the contact information for the unit I purchased earlier this year. Compared to handling deisel and gas this set up is a dream and I don't carry the liability for a crappy burn pan that I made.

Professional Fire Extinguisher Inc.
    716 West Main Street
    Clayton, NC 27520
    919-553-3431

Forum Member

Default burn pan

what i did is made my own out of a 55 gallon drum. i cut it at the bottom right above the last indend on the drum. that way u don't have to worry about the oversplash. if u have any question just right back and i'll be glad to answer them.

Smile Thanks

I would just like to thank everyone for their reply's to my post. It was a lot of help.

Thread Information