Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Forum Member

Default 20004 Fire Safety Week

Does anyone Know what week it is?
    Where can I find out the information on this week?
    I know its only July but want to get started soon, trying to help out.

Forum Member

October 3-9, 2004

MembersZone Subscriber

You can also go to the NFPA web site and find further info.

www.nfpa.org
    Bill Delaney

Program Manager - Community Safety Education

Montgomery County Fire & Rescue

101 Monroe St., 12th Floor

Rockville, MD 20850

(O) 240.777.2448

(P) 301.629.2306

(C) 301.648.1262

http://www.mcfrs.org

Well like alot of the above posts we run a year round program. Talks with civic groups, in house programs, we started this year with placing bi-weekly safety and health tips in the local fish-wrap. Of course we do school programs. Smoke detector give away, also just instituted is a co detector program- still working on the liability ends but the city laywer will tighten that up. Being a tourist trap of a town, we have people in and out of the house all day, so we give out hats, books and tips. We try to educate people after we wrap up a call. Having a real open attitude to the public realy goes a long way. Try the Home Safety Network for year round tips on general safety. I know we do more but I just got off vaca. and my mind is still somewhere in jamacia.

MembersZone Subscriber

Westlake has a "Utilitag" program run all year for residential. We supply 3" X 3" color coded tags and place them on the gas, water, hot water, and electric shutoffs. We also check smoke detectors and give handouts.
    It's a good idea to turn your annual business GIs, FAs, and semi hood tests into training sessions for the occupants. They don't groan so much if you show up with the intent to keep them safe the obviouse focus. Too many inspectors have badge syndrome.

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm in the same boat as you Eng44ine. My department has had no real Fire Prevention Coordinator in the past, nor a program in place that I can recall. I totally agree that fire prevention should and cannot be aimed at just children, and a year-long focus on this area is a must in any size community.

Therefor we have just launched our new program that not only includes visits to the local schools during fire prevention week, and the assorted station tour, but will pilot a reading program where one of our own from the department will go to a class (K-3)and read to them. During this time we will also have a contest where the child from each grade who reads the most books from the beginning of the school year to fire prevention week, will recieve a prize. We're looking at backpacks with our departments crest embroidered on it, filled with games, treats and assorted fire prevention material.

We also have had good luck with our smoke detector/pizza delivery program. We get together with a local Pizza restaurant and for a few hours a night during fire prevention week we would randomly deliver a pizza in our rig and if the customer had a working smoke detector, the pizza was free. If not, we would give them a new unit for them to install. This might be something that we will try a couple times outside of FP week as well.

Thanks to all who have contributed to this topic. I came in here looking for ideas on where to find good places to get new materials and should have just about all I need. If anyone comes up with anywhere else that a guy can find this stuff please feel free to e-mail me at mjm@pegasusautoracing.com

Thread Information