MembersZone Subscriber

Default American LaFrance

We are about to order a new pumper and our people in charge of ordering the truck are looking at an American LaFrance. I have heard different stories about the company that it is for sale and about delivery time being slow. Can any one give me some concrete information onthese concerns if they know any thing.

Keepin it real

Haven't heard about it being up for sale, But as for the time it takes to build the truck there are a lot of things that can happen to slow it down... One is a big order from a major city that's what happened to us with our 2000 ALF Rescue pumper 12 months from order to the truck in our station but I'm to complaining about that. Now with the new ALF plant built the delivery time should be better, we just got caught up in a big order that went to the same body plant (RD Murry plant)..ALF is a good truck as the rest of the manufactures, we have a 1995 Seagrave Ladder and I like the way that's built. The biggest part of ordering a new engine or ladder is spec.ing the apparatus to YOUR needs, don't let the sales rep. sell you something that you don't need, go with you need first then look at the rest of the bells and whistles.
    Peace to our fallen brothers...

9/11/01 NYC WTC

7/4/02 Gloucester City, NJ

-=IACOJ=- The proof is in the crust

......Work hard, play hard, and always have fun along the way......

MembersZone Subscriber

The best advice on American LaFrance that I could give you(And I work 40 plus hours a week as a driver on a 1998 ALF 105' Quint)is......Run away fast from ALF and never look back. My department has run American LaFrance's for almost a century. But in 1998 we were slapped and NOW stuck with the reality that it is now just a name.

MembersZone Subscriber

Smile ALF

Hi,
    I am a firefighter for a department that runs two ALF Eagle Chassis engines with bodies by General, and they are ok chassis, we have had some electrical problems with engine sensors failing and putting the truck into safe mode. Also the interior is really cheap on them. We have three older 1986 Pierce Lance engines that are still better than the ALF eagle when it comes to quality of construction. The Pierce's just have a more soundly contructed cab, with more durable doors. The ALF's have a lot of plastic in the interior of the cap that is prone to breaking in the course of use. The ALF could be much imiproved by specifying metal interior of all doors and a metal cover for the engine. We also have a 2000 ALF Tiller with an ALF Eagle chassis and it is a very nice truck. It drives like a Cadillac, will do 75 on the freeway and it feels like 55. The body is an 1989 ALF from Kansas City that was Refurbed for us and the quality of construction is very nice, on par with that of the old Pierce's. However a neighboring city baought an ALF 100+ ft ladder a couple of years ago and the frame cracked on it so it was out of service for about a year. Overall the biggest complaint with the ALF is the construction of the cab, but otherwise they are nice trucks for the money. If I had to go put hell out though I would take one of our old Pierces just because of the durability and quality with which they were constructed. After twenty years they are still the best engines in our fleet. I hope this helps.
    Angel15

Thread Information