MembersZone Subscriber

Default Multi Gas Detectors

does anybody know which multi gas detectors is the best out there?we use the biosystems phdlite.it is total garbage.
    Everybody goes home!

Forum Member

We have switched to Industrial Scientific ITX models because they are Bubba proof. One button to turn on and one to turn off. We have configured them (via computer) to have the members only have access to certain features. Then when the call is done i take it and download the data to a graph program. I find that this unit is a good all around unit. For Hazmat maybe something a little better might help.

MembersZone Subscriber

Just purchased the Q-Rae 4 gas detector. I really like the fact that they give you the calibration gases as part of the kit. Much better than a fresh air calibration. Take a look at it, it has a lot of features that most models don't have. LEL can be set so the correction factor is automatically figured for the gas you respond to frequently,(changed ours to propane!)Easy to operate (one button as long as you don't need get into program mode, which can be locked out. Programing with a PC is very user friendly. Did a lot of shopping around and found it to be the best for the money.
    Career/Volunteer, We are all professionals!

Forum Member

Cool

Are you having reliability problems with the PHDlite or is it another problem.

We currently use the PHDultra 4 gas meter on all of our tower trucks for initial response. On HazMat we use the MultiRAE 4 gas meter with PID and the MiniRAE stand-alone PID in addition to the PHDultra. We use these not because of reliability, but to confirm the readings between the different meters. Having the PID function is nice.

I would definitely avoid the AIM system. It is a powerful tool but in my experience it can't hold up to the abuse of the fire service.

When you get down to it you're better off carrying 2 different meters so that you can compare and backup readings with another system.

Forum Member

The State of New York has been passing out the MultiRAE 5P w/ PID as part of its WMD package to those agencies that have Haz Mat Teams. Our county has been using them for a little while and I have been impressed with them so far. As the information tech on the team, once the chemical has been ID'ed, I can upload the correction factors into the unit and start the data logging process for later download. As our new team gets more calls and experience, we shal have to see how things work out.

dazed and confused

We recently evaluated Biosystems Multivision and Scott's Scout.

We were much more impressed with Scott's Scout: battery life 50+ hours even while using pump, alkaline batteries vs. expensive and high maintenance rechargeables, ease of use, detector warranty (lifetime), standard internal sampling pump, intiail COST.

Both shared similar feauture sets, sensor warranties, and operating costs. The Multivision's one-touch button was a little to simplified for easy use. I'd much rather have the "soft menu" buttons of the Scout.

We're replacing an Enmet Target detector that has been nothing but trouble. We have an old MSA unit that is still going strong though, but we plan on purchasing a total of three Scott Scouts.
    God Bless America!Remember all have given some, but some have given all.
    Google Is Your Friend™Helpful forum tip - a "must see" if you're new here
    Click this to search FH Forums!

FIGJAM

I love the BW Technologies detectors...

Made in Canada. CLICK HERE to a link to their website.
    Luke

Forum Member

In the two depts. I work for we have a Q-Rae and a Scott Scout.I've also used the B-W Tech 4 gas.Of the lot I would say the BW was the easiest to use.I like the datalogging feature in the Q,you can take a 24 hr "snapshot"of events.My other dept. just got the Scott,so I'm not as skilled with that,but it too is a user friendly machine.Given that all are similarly priced,I would be hard pressed to say one is vastly superior to another.I'm a bit surprised at the evaluation as junk of the Biosystems unit as I've found them to be quite reliable in the jobs I've used them on.T.C.

Default varied selections

In my department we are currently using the tmx 412 industrial scientifics on all of our ladder companies. On our rescues and hazmats we are just converting to the itx. Industrial Scientifics have been great. We also use the Multi Rae as a PID. The problem is level of ionization potential on the multi rae as well as its capability with LEL. We use both but rely on the industrial scientific.

FIGJAM

We use both but rely on the industrial scientific.
    I HATE the Industrial Scientific detectors!!!!
    Luke

Forum Member

We just got new MSAs. I believe they are the Orions. I like em som far. Very easy to use and operate. Dont have to worry about pumps since it's built in. We can change our own sensors, calibrate it ourselves, etc.

Thread Information