Default If you're not looking at the road and hit someone...

Jeepers, strange accident #2 from today's papers:
    Car jumps curb, kills woman, 83

Victim waiting at a bus stop

Martin Luttrell
    TELEGRAM & GAZETTE STAFF

Police officers and firefighters stand near the Toyota Tercel they moved after it fatally struck a woman near a bus stop on Pleasant Street yesterday. (T&G Staff / MARK C. IDE)
    Enlarge photo

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WORCESTER- An 83-year-old woman at a bus stop was killed yesterday when she was struck by a car that jumped the curb on Pleasant Street.

Police said Cecilia M. Twomey of 7 Maplewood Road was sitting on a bench or standing near it near the Park Avenue intersection when the accident occurred at 10:18 a.m.

Police received the call as a single-car accident at 500 Pleasant St. After speaking with the driver, who was unaware that she had struck someone, the officer discovered Ms. Twomey under the green Toyota Tercel, said Police Department spokesman Sgt. Gary J. Quitadamo.

The officer radioed for help, and Officers Gary R. Sweeney and David F. Rawlston, along with firefighters, lifted the one-ton car and moved it off the victim so medical personnel could treat her, Sgt. Quitadamo said.

Ms. Twomey was transported to St. Vincent Hospital at Worcester Medical Center, where she was pronounced dead in the emergency room, police said.

The driver, Sandra L. Metcalf, 39, of 176 Maple Ave., Rutland, was transported to UMass Memorial Medical Center - University Campus after complaining of pain to her neck and back, said investigating Officer Richard C. Cowden. An infant riding in a child seat in the back seat of the car was not injured, he said.

Police Sgt. Walter P. Antul Jr. of the Police Department traffic division said Ms. Metcalf told investigators that seconds before the accident she was driving east on Pleasant Street, and looked into the back seat because the baby was crying.

No citations have been issued, and the accident is still under investigation.

"We're in the preliminary investigation as to the cause," Officer Cowden said. "The vehicle will be taken back to the police station to be inspected. Until then we won't know if it was operator error or mechanical."

The bus stop and bench are about 60 feet east of the Park Avenue intersection.

Merle Jellson, who runs Furs by Michael at 500 Pleasant St. with her husband, said she was unaware that there had been an accident, even though the car came to rest on a concrete planter at the front corner of the shop. Pieces of the wood and wrought iron bench were scattered between the bus stop and shop, about 25 feet away.

"My husband was going out to make a delivery and saw the police car," she said. "I went out and looked, and could see a red hat next to the car. I thought it was something that came out of the car. Then I saw a leg and yelled, "Oh my God.' I've never seen the police work so fast.

"They got more people here and just picked up the car. It was amazing. There were some pretty big guys. The woman driving said she was on her way to day care and Worcester State College."

Members of Ms. Twomey's family could not be reached for comment by telephone last night.

MembersZone Subscriber

Dal, don't forget the overpass in Mississippi .

This poor man was just minding his own business driving down the road on his way to work and the whole dang overpass collapsed on him.

Scary, very scary.

Thread Information