Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Question What should I expect?

Ok... quick rundown... My husband and I are moving back to the Mass/RI area hopefully next fall and although he's been in EMS/Fire for 20+ years I'm currently a State of Alaska EMT-II/ NR Basic and am working on my Firefighter I. After I get a job back east I'm planning on getting my MICP.

I'd really LOVE to get on with a department as an EMT/Firefighter and was wondering what to expect test wise. What did you go through when you tested for your department, or what does your department currently do with their new hires?

Looking forward to hearing about your department...
    Amanda
    Lieutenant, EMT-II
    Central Mat-Su Fire Department,
    Wasilla AK

Forum Member

Default Testing????

You can find out about testing secrets in the Career Article section under JOBS on this firehouse.com web site

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

MembersZone Subscriber CFD Hazards's Avatar

My department, Cranston, RI, is accepting applications from now until February. It is a department of 202 members. There is a written test and a physical ability test. The ability test used to be a graded event that was based on the time it took you to complete. One female has passed the test in the last two tests so now they have made the ability strictly pass/fail. You will be placed on the list by how well you did on the written and if you passed the ability test. You don't need to have any certifications to take the test but you must be a Cardiac Technician before you can get hired.

The bad news is that the financial situation in RI and especially MA is horrible. Fire Depts. in RI are struggling to get by and MA has experienced wide spread lay-offs.

I've heard about the financial situation there... It's such a shame.
    Thanks for your help!
    Amanda
    Lieutenant, EMT-II
    Central Mat-Su Fire Department,
    Wasilla AK

Originally posted by cfdeng3
    My department, Cranston, RI, is accepting applications from now until February. It is a department of 202 members. There is a written test and a physical ability test. The ability test used to be a graded event that was based on the time it took you to complete. One female has passed the test in the last two tests so now they have made the ability strictly pass/fail. You will be placed on the list by how well you did on the written and if you passed the ability test. You don't need to have any certifications to take the test but you must be a Cardiac Technician before you can get hired.

The bad news is that the financial situation in RI and especially MA is horrible. Fire Depts. in RI are struggling to get by and MA has experienced wide spread lay-offs.
    Do you know a Tom Doherty? Im not familiar with the cities in RI-I live in Florida-but we knew each other years ago-he used to work in Narragansett...you can email me at bankergirl8267@yahoo.com

Thread Information