Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Forum Member

Question Fogging Face-piece

Anybody got any solutions for fogging up face pieces? Would "rain-x" anit-fog or a similar product be useful? I just seem lately to be having this occur frequently. Warm truck bay to cool outdoors with high humidty may be a contributing factor also.

A very small amount of baby shampoo has worked for me in the past. I stress, very small amount. Too much and you won't see a thing.
    "We shouldn't be opening firehouses in Baghdad and closing them in New York City."

IACOJ

Does your mask have a "nose cone" inside? I used some Survieair with them and they seem to clear up as soon as you go on air. Never had that fog problem with my own Scott-O-Vista. Not sure if it is cause there is no nose cone or something else.

Hold your breath...No kidding. I find that slow beathing keeps mine to a minimum, and like STM said as soon as I go on air it clears right up. Also you may ant to contact the manufacture...we were instructed NOT EVER to use and anti-fog agent on our masks(Cairns).
    AKA: Mr. Whoo-Whoo

IAFF Local 3900

IACOJ-The Crusty Glow Worm

ENGINE 302 - The Fire Rats

F.A.N.T.A.M FOOLS FTM-PTB

Rain-ex is a solvent based product and will ruin the carbon-plastic facepiece lens, creating a permanent fog.

The nose-cone reduces the problem, also opening the purge valve a crack will clear up the lens until the temperature levels out. I wouldn't suggest any application of an anti-fog agent in the mask.

There is a product that can be purchased at your local dive shop called "Frog Snot" Its safe for dive masks so I imagine it would be safe for the facepiece.
    I.A.C.O.J IRISH TATTOOED-HOOLIGAN

DETROIT FIRE FIGHTER AND PROUD!

MembersZone Subscriber

If you are going to go they way of using diveer stuff to keep your maks defoged just spit in it. It does the same job on a dive mask and saves you some extra cash for the important stuff. (the after dive beer)
    After I'm dead I'd rather have people ask why I have no monument than why I have one

Official Minister of Philosophy of the IACOJ

IACOJ Probie Crusty of the year 2003

I can count on my one hand the number of times that spiting in my dive mask has actually worked and that is with over 15 years of diving and instructing. Spend the coin save your spit for something else.

There is a product that can be purchased at your local dive shop called "Frog Snot" Its safe for dive masks so I imagine it would be safe for the facepiece
    I believe that dive mask lenses are primarily glass. I would not advise useing it on an SCBA mask. Scott specifically forbids the use of ANY type of anti-fog coating. Scott masks are coated at the factory.

Think about this; the fog will go away when you go on air, you can speed this up by useing your purge. Anything not tested and approved as safe to use on your mask should be considered unsafe. The mask, pack and bunker gear are what allow us to go into places we were not meant to be in, and keep us alive while there. Please don't take chances and compromise that safety margin.
    Check out my blog: The Fixit Shop

Um, no dive masks are not primarily glass.

Temporarily/No Longer Active July36's Avatar

Heres the solution for your question.

W.S Darley sells "anti-fogging" solutions made specifically for all types of SCBA facepeices.These can be obtained via towellettes or spray containers(like windex bottles) or by the gallon containers.We have all 3 types and i must say that they do work very well...even in cold temperatures.
    Sports shops should also have "lense anti-fogging" stuff too.

Donna C
    Fire Chief
    Bridge Canyon VFD
    http://cms.firehouse.com/dept/SeligmanAZ

Forum Member

Question While on the subject, cleaners???

I'm going to Scott site next and see what thay recommend, or don't recommend... but lense cleaner like for regular glasses, some have antifog in them, anyoned tried them?

Forum Member

Smile

Originally posted by Duffman
    A very small amount of baby shampoo has worked for me in the past. I stress, very small amount. Too much and you won't see a thing.
    This should work for all manufactures, one of the big manufactures even sells it in a small tube. I'm pretty suprised that their own tech is saying not to use it.

There is always the old school rule: inhale through your mouth, and exhale through your nose. But, that always seems to turn to crud when your arms and legs have turned to jelly, and your still in the thick of it, huffing and puffing.

My scott mask has the nose cup, and I never have a problem with fogging. I also wait until right at the door to put it on. If I were to put it on sooner I'm sure it would fog up too.
    http://www.sanantoniofire.org

IACOJ
    Got Crust?

We lucky few, ... we band of brothers

Try some liquid soap. Just rub the soap directly on it (don't mix it with water), let it sit for a minute, then wipe it off with a clean DRY towel. Try it on your bathroom mirror, then run the shower hot and you will see........... Some also say foam shaving cream will do the same thing......

Default not much help

only two things have helped me out with the fog:
    hooking up to air and taking the damn thing off.

Survivair, with nosecup.
    ...if you put the handline in the right spot, you won't have to jump out the window...
    -Andy "Nozzles", SQ18, 9-11-01

WOW ! I am just saying nose cup...........never had a problem after those got installed.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Sr. Information Officer NJFFSA16's Avatar

Originally posted by MOTOWN88
    Um, no dive masks are not primarily glass.
    Unless you've bought something from the local 5 and dime...the SCUBA mask should have a tempered glass lens. The peripherals may be silicone...straps, frame...but the lens is tempered glass.
    Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

Sr. Information Officer NJFFSA16's Avatar

Default Re: While on the subject, cleaners???

Originally posted by CharlieRFDPres
    I'm going to Scott site next and see what thay recommend, or don't recommend... but lense cleaner like for regular glasses, some have antifog in them, anyoned tried them?
    Scott Contact and Information Guide

Ask SCOTT...what your SCBA can do for you. Ask what you can do for your SCBA.
    Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

Forum Member

Ensure the ori-nasal cup (the "nose cup") is correctly positioned in relation to you nose and mouth and interior mask fogging should not be a problem.

Thread Information