Default Fire Prevention for High School

Howdy
    Just wondering if anyone had a program for the older kids 7-12.

Doing our Fire Prevention grant wondering if anybody has anything bad to say about Freddie the Fire Truck? Looks like a pretty neat learning tool.

Forum Member

We are still trying to build a program for high schoolers.We are putting together a power point display using actual pictures of recent fires and using these to lead into teaching them basic fire prevention behaviors. High schoolers seem to focus on learning better when you can show facts or proof that this could of happened if you did or didn't do this. We also use parts of the Ideas Bank "In their own words" and "Four years after" DVD used in our juvenile firestter intervention program. There are other videos out there like "Brian's Story" that high schoolers relate to. Give them something that gets their attention then talk with them about fire safety. It's a hard group to reach - they think that they are too cool to learn about fire safety. As far as "Freddie" we have had one for several years now and it has been nothing but great!!!!! Great for reaching children but adults are drawn to it as well. Ours has worked great with no problems.

MembersZone Subscriber

Another option for older kids is CPR and First Aid. I spend about 10 hours with them and we certify them in CPR (american heart assoc.)and give them a basic first aid corse which goes into just basics like bleeding control, stroke, siezures, broken bones, etc. (stuff they may see). I also use it to sneak in fire safety lessons because they think they are too cool for all that stuff. I also use it to sneak in stuff like seat belt safty,helmet safety, and stuff like that. It works out well and most of the kids want to be there so they do a pretty good job of paying attention

Forum Member

I think it would be great if they could do fire safety in all the high schools in the country. I,m an Explorer with my deparment and i teach fire saftey all year long. it's stuff everyone needs to know.
    IF YOU FOLLOW ALL OF THE RULES YOU MISS ALL OF THE FUN.

Moose (Post 2028 Vice President/ Command Officer)Explorer Highland Twp. Fire/Rescue Dept.

Any Questions Contact Me At Moose20282@yahoo.com

These Are My Opinions, Not that of My Dept. or Any other Orgnazition I Belong to.

Thread Information