Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: dry hydrant

MembersZone Subscriber

Default dry hydrant

Need help we are installing a dry hydrant on a bridge with 4 foot railing, in moving water. Will a permenant mount freeze? Does anyone have design to have a movable hydrant?

Forum Member

Does the river freeze over in the winter? If it does, that will sheer off the hydrant very easily. Doesn't sound very practical in a Northern climate.

A better way might be to run your PVC from the side into the river so the piping is under your freeze line. Some of the new strainers are very resistant to being damaged by debirs floating down river.
    Remember, it IS as bad as you think and they ARE out to get you!

MembersZone Subscriber

The bridge is near the dam for the lake it does not freeze, but ice would flow through there. We can not bury the pipe because of the bridge abutments. Thank you.

Forum Member

Consider going with a TurboDraft, or adapting the dry hydrant barrel to:

A. Slip over the railing
    B. Pivot out of the water when not in use.

Another thing to consider: will the force of the water and the resulting torque where the hydrant barrel attaches to the railing, damage the railing?
    www.gvfd.org

Thumbs up re: dry hydrants

tyler deyo

our fire dept. has 15 dry hydrants it will frezze but if you put a screen at the end of the of the tube then it will not but if it dose then back flush then pump that is what works for us

MembersZone Subscriber

Not sure if this would work but sounds good in theory(at least to me) If the bridge has any supports going into the water could you mount a pipe on the downstream side of the pillar to protect it from ice flows. Not sure what type of bridge we are talking. I think the pillar should protect your pipeing into the water.

Also remember if it is over a 10 foot drop you may not get a draft.

MembersZone Subscriber

I would take the first recomendation of Scott Cook, Turbodrafts are a great tool to have on a truck. They come in different sizes according to what size hose you carry. I personnally have six 2-1/2" x 5" Turbodrafts and three 1-1/2 x 2-1/2" Turbodrafts. The cost for one turbo draft is about the same cost to have one dry hudrant installed and the great thing about Turbodrafts is that they can be used at any pond, lake, pool, or river that has atleast 2' of water and they can be used up to 400' away from the truck. I used Turbodrafts for my last 2 ISO grades for rural water supplies instead of hydrants and tanker shuttles.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for your help, can't go over the top, 4' railing. We have to go through, have looked at pivoting it. There are no pillars it is a free span. It is 15' to water but we have no problem drafting that. Just had Larry Davis shoe off the Turbo draft, water is 15' deep' how do support it off a bridge so it don't go all the way to the bottom and what do you get for gpm with 4" hose.

Exclamation

TRY NFPA 1142 IT WILL GIVE YOU ALL YOU NEED!

Thread Information