Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Question 4 every one i need some help here

OK guys, i have just been appointed the Cheif Explorer, and since we will be doing some training, I want your advice on a few things: 1) What gear besides turnouts do u have, (eg. radio straps, hydrent wrenches, strap on items on your helmet, anything besides the "basics") 2) Should I act like "one of the guys" during "on duty" time or be a hard ***? there will be more questions to follow, but i dont wanna over whelm ya guys
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

HNFC FF/President mdoddsjffhnfc's Avatar

well, basics it would be with my dept (2 sets of gloves, tire stem tool, 10ft rescue rope, safety glasses, etc) all that other stuff would be on the Big Red Fire Engines.

know about how to act (i'm taking this from my leadership training in NJROTC) don't be too lax but don't be too hard/strict with the people who serve under you. Being "one of the guys" during a drill may let it look to the others like your not taking training seriously; but on the other hand, if your too strict during drill it will look to your subordinates that your on a power trip and maybe taking this a bit too seriously.

Good luck with your position.
    Firefighter, Volunteering since Oct 2001

CCFA 05-04, best overall class for 2005
    "GOOD GAME!"

MembersZone Subscriber

Ok, although my department doesn't have Junior Officers per se, I am the most senior junior (if that makes any sense) and have taken several "basics" classes as well as Incident Command up to level 200. I've also recieved extensive leadership training through scouts (I'm an Eagle Scout) and the EMS department in my town. Now, I am a firm believer that there is a time to have fun and be "one of the guys" and also time to be strict. Your task is to learn which is most appropriate. You also need to remember that other members will look to you as a roll model. As corny as it sounds, a brand new junior will look to his Chief/Captain or whathave you to learn how to act. One of the problems I have had is having a close friend in the department. I used to be EMS Captain for my EMS Explorer post and one of the other Explorers was a guy I had grown up with. I was Captain and he was rank-and-file. When I needed to get something done, he often didn't do it, thinking that he had special privelages because we used to play in the sandbox together. I had a talk with him and told him how I felt and that he didn't have to like that I was Captian, but that I needed him to act appropriately, or he stood a chance at undermining authority as Captain. He understood and I haven't had a problem since. As a parting note there's one thing you need to remember whenever in a position of authority over your peers. Just because you wear gold bars or horns doesn't make you deserve respect. Respect is earned and needs to be upheld. Hope this helps!
    Rob
    Captain
    Logan Township Fire Dept.
    Gloucester County, NJ

Standard Disclaimer: These are my opinions and do not necessarily reflect those of my department.

Hey, thanx a lot for all the info, i will put it into good use at our first training session next month Hey mdoddsjffhnfc u guys actually learn leadership in your JROTC unit??? Wow. we have to figure it out. Keep all the advice comin guys !! Thanx
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Im a cheif too for our Explorer post. Be nice as you can while giving orders but if they dont listen raise your voice alittle bit and they should do the order if not yelling and pointing to what they should be doing works great.Also im not one of those to take someone in to a another room to talk to them if its something big and could get them or someone else hurt or killed then its done on spot and showen the right way to do it. Also give your advice on things what works for you and what doesnt. just remember at the end of the day your cheif and they are not. If they think they can do better then let them run for cheif next year along side you rerunning for it.

yes BLSboy, its an actual chapter in our Naval Science 1 book. We're going over followership and leadership right now on our academic days. i'm very active in my JROTC unit so i'm probably going to be given the assistant squad leader position (3rd squad 2nd platoon) so this leadership material we're learning will help me.

Good luck cadet and good luck chief

"GOOD GAME!"

Lets see, for stuff other then gear, we really receive nothing more then the basics.

As for how to act, be firm but be fun, I understand that being that way sounds very hard, but it really isnt, once you establish that you are in command, you can be a friendly as you want, they will do as asked. But I dont know about you, but I knew all of my fellow explorers before we joined.
    IACOJ

Hey, congrats mdoddsjffhnfc, if ur signature is correct, you are an E-1, getting to a squad leader this fast is remarkable. It took me 2 semesters, plus summer leadership school to get there. Well, later today I will *hopefully* be at the station working on training. Keep up the help guys!! THANX!!!
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF

Asa far as extra gear goes. I have acquired a nice amount of seat belt from a car we destroyed at our last training.
    Cadet Fire & Rescue Deputy Chief 31
    Monessen Volunteer Fire Department #1
    Westmoreland County Station 81-1

"Going far beyond the call of duty, doing more than others expect, this is what excellence is all about. And it comes from striving, maintaining the highest standards, looking after the smallest detail, and going the extra mile. Excellence means doing your best every day, in everything."

Originally posted by MVFD81
    Asa far as extra gear goes. I have acquired a nice amount of seat belt from a car we destroyed at our last training.
    Am I the only one missing the logic behind this one?
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

For my post, how we work is as follows. At a major incident...it's work vests to identify us. Gloves, not always worn but recommended to have atleast in your pocket. We are lucky to have high band radios available to us, so they are worn with us. Usually tools are left on the truck until needed during clean-up etc.

As in response to leadership...Honestly what I do I take very seriously. At a fire if you screw around...it will not be tolerated. You are in a situation that could be potentially deadly. If someone from your crew has the audascity to act out of line, send him home immediatly. You do your job right or you don't do it at all. We are in charge of something that could get a fire fighter killed. There is no room for error. It may be harsh...but what are you gonna do.

Forum Member

I must have missed something there too, nmfire.
    "I truly believe that tradition is important to the long-term survival of the fire service."-Lt. Andrew Fredricks, FDNY,9-11-01

well BLSboy, my unit is a new one. First year of operation. The senior and junior classmen (me being a junior) are going to get the leaderships first, and since i'm the 3rd ranked cadet in terms of class average (3 out of 65) i'm definately being considered for that position. Also, my NSI is looking at the fact that i'm involved in the community as a volunteer firefighter. Yes i'm an E-1, but i'll be an E-2 in a couple weeks.

also MVFD81, i fail to see how seatbelt is considered gear. maybe you misunderstood what was stated.

"GOOD GAME!"

Default The Logic

Well lets think about it. Its stronger than rope. If I needed to tie it to something because I couldnt get out of a room throught the door and the only way was through a window and I was running low on air. Basically it would be used like a rope would.
    Cadet Fire & Rescue Deputy Chief 31
    Monessen Volunteer Fire Department #1
    Westmoreland County Station 81-1

"Going far beyond the call of duty, doing more than others expect, this is what excellence is all about. And it comes from striving, maintaining the highest standards, looking after the smallest detail, and going the extra mile. Excellence means doing your best every day, in everything."

I don't want to sound offensive, but that is pretty rediculous. I would not trust my life with something I tore out of a vehicle...Use only designated safety line, and learn how to use it before that time comes!

"Fasten your seatbelts, we are repelling out a window!" =]

MVFD81, i find seatbelt very hard to tie to act like a rope. I agree with what explorer129 said "use only designated safety line" thats why we buy that stuff. plus, you would need to destroy alot of cars inorder to get enough seatbelt.

Here's some friendly advice, toss most of the seatbelt. You can frame the rest as a reminder of your car destruction drill

"GOOD GAME!"

Default Re: The Logic

Originally posted by MVFD81
    Well lets think about it. Its stronger than rope. If I needed to tie it to something because I couldnt get out of a room throught the door and the only way was through a window and I was running low on air. Basically it would be used like a rope would.
    Your allowed to do interior?
    Jaime
    No longer an explorer-
    Currently Keene State College Class of 2008
    KEENE STATE RUGBY #5!!!
    I shed blood for my ruggers.
    <forever ruggers, forever sisters>
    www.kscwrfc.org

All gave some, some gave all. Gone but not forgotten. 9/11/01

Hey, you can make a belt out of a seat belt! That would be fancy now.
    Floral Park Fire Explorers
    Post 129
    Floral Park, New York
    www.explorers129.com

ffdfireexplorer, i think he was just using that as an example.

yeah, seatbelt makes a great belt, just like an extension cord

"GOOD GAME!"

Floral Park Fire Explorers
    Post 129
    Floral Park, New York
    www.explorers129.com

Thread Information