makes good girls go bad

Default Question for everyone

(This is also posted on the explorer/Junior page, so you dont need to post twice)
    OK guys, i have just been appointed the Cheif Explorer, and since we will be doing some training, I want your advice on a few things: 1) What gear besides turnouts do u have, (eg. radio straps, hydrent wrenches, strap on items on your helmet, anything besides the "basics") 2) Should I act like "one of the guys" during "on duty" time or be a hard ***? there will be more questions to follow, but i dont wanna over whelm ya guys
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Forum Member

Default Re: Question for everyone

Originally posted by BLSboy
    Should I act like "one of the guys" during "on duty" time or be a hard ***?
    Hmmmmmmmm, lessee, be the way you always were (which is probably what got you promoted to that position), or forget from whence you came and be a hard ***?? Geeeeeeee, that's SOOOOOO tough, lemme weigh this one out .......

Ok, if you go the hard *** route, I can guarantee ya a couple of things, NO ONE will respect you for very long, you probably won't hold the position for very long (people who let "power" go to their heads do not good leaders make), and you won't get anything out of your explorers, they won't want to drill under you. People want leadership and guidance; NOT dictatorship.

But, hey who am I to tell you what's what, the choice is really yours.
    To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the world.

IACOJ-WOT proud

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!

makes good girls go bad

OK, sorry bout this, lemme make this a little clearer, most of the Explorers are hard to get their attention unless I am hard on them. They learn nothing, and dont stay focused, but at the same time I feel like a *****, but one day, they could learn this and apply it. If i try to be "normal" , a few will learn, but i get more respect, a real dilema here.............

PS I like being the Cheif Explorer, but also value my "boys" respect
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Forum Member

I'll rephrase what I said ........... a gentle, but firm hand to guide will get you a LOT further than a sharp tongue and a big stick.
    To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the world.

IACOJ-WOT proud

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!

makes good girls go bad

PFire23- i will put your advice into effect at our next meeting, but its a little hard to go from Drill Instructor voice (from ROTC) to that. but to the other question, what kind of gear (other then the "basics") do u recomend. we can use radios, after the "field traing"

PS thanx for your help
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF

A new phrase has developed in my dept that fits your situation well (we have several new officers who have not handled their promotions as well as we hoped) its very simple: THOSE BUGLES DON'T MAKE YOU THE BOSS! What makes a leader is not his/her rank or position but how they lead those put in their charge. Just a little mantra for all of us to keep in mind.
    Member IACOJ & IACOJ EMS Bureau
    New England FOOL
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    As always these are strictly my own opinions and views

Forum Member

Ah, I recall the days of being an explorer officer.

Trust me, don't be a hardass. Do your best to motivate through positive attitude than anything else. Remember that exploring is completely voluntary, and many of the other members may just be doing it because its something to do, not because they have the love of being a firefighter.

Dont boss your members to do tasks, just start doing them yourself, the ones that are there to stay will chip in and help out, the rest, well who cares?

And for the love of pete remember, please remember (wish I could take back time) that if the firefighters of your sponsoring dept see you acting like a napoleonic pr!ck, they will remember, they will pass the word, and you WILL spend a good deal of your career overcoming these impressions.

Forum Member

First of all, an explorer program is completely alien to me.. I have never been around one, none of the Dept's I have been with ever had one. The only image of one that I have is from the old "code red" show.. LOL. But, instead of trying to be a hardarse or G. Sgt. Hartman.. why don't you try to make the training interesting. See what you can come up with. A new twist to an old approach. It may be that these guys are getting tired of the same ol - same ol. That may be why they seem to have a hard time focusing... maybe they are bored out of thier skulls. Is it right for them to be? I don't know, probably not, but you may have to come up with something to make them find a renewed interest... make it interesting, and you will find that they no longer have trouble staying focused... or paying attention. Pretty soon they may even be interested enough that they are coming up with some great ideas on thier own... no longer placing the burden of "trying to get thier interest" on you. I would say the effort is more worth while, than the hardarse approach. Just my opinion.

As for the gear quistion... I think that if you read the "whats in your pockets" article here at FH, or even the post (under the same name I believe) most of what your may be looking for is there.

Also, remember..... you were ELECTED to lead these people, show them the respect you would expect if you were them, because you can always be ELECTED to be placed back at the bottom of the crap heap if you are there just to pad your ego.
    http://www.sanantoniofire.org

IACOJ
    Got Crust?

We lucky few, ... we band of brothers

MembersZone Subscriber

As far as the attitude thing goes, remember the Golden Rule. "Treat others as you want to be treated". If you want respect from the explorers as well as the senior firefighers, you have to treat them with respect. That doesn't mean you have to bow to their every request. It means listen to them, consider what they are saying, some of the best ideas for training can come from the newest person. If an explorer needs to be disciplined, take them into another room, away from their peers, do the discipline privately, try talking to them first, don't stand their and yell at them, give them a chance to speak too. If that doesn't work try something a little more stern.

As far as what kind of equipment to carry, look at the threads listed above, but also ask the senior firefighters at your station. They are going to have a good idea of what works in your particular area.

Also try to ally yourself with a senior officer that you respect. There is a reason why you respect that officer, so try to learn what they do to earn your respect.
    ftm-ptb
    leather forever
    gateway fools

Sr. Information Officer

Tell me and I forget; Show me and I remember; involve me and I understand. - Unknown
    Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

makes good girls go bad

Wow. These are more replies than I thought would come. All of your advice will be put into good use at our first "real" training next month. PLEASE keep up the responses, Where do I buy used or new gear from cheap, Im on a limited budget here, so please help me out. Once again, thanks for all your great help.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF

Early Adopter

Default Re: Question for everyone

Originally posted by BLSboy
    (This is also posted on the explorer/Junior page, so you dont need to post twice)
    OK guys, i have just been appointed the Cheif Explorer, and since we will be doing some training, I want your advice on a few things: 1) What gear besides turnouts do u have, (eg. radio straps, hydrent wrenches, strap on items on your helmet, anything besides the "basics") 2) Should I act like "one of the guys" during "on duty" time or be a hard ***? there will be more questions to follow, but i dont wanna over whelm ya guys
    First, if you're going to be CHIEF... please be able to spell it.

Second, when you were a new explorer, what sort of leader would you have wanted? I'm guessing you wouldn't have chosen "hard ***." Good leaders lead by example... not by force. Act just as you would want your fellow Explorers to act. You were obviously doing something right because you were appointed chief. Keep up whatever it is you were doing.

Forum Member

I don't have much on this except....BE A LEADER, NOT A BOSS!

Forum Member

AJ, dont be a hard ***. Be incharge but dont come off as there drill sargent. I found being gentle yet firm and sticking to your guns you can communicate easier and get far more respect than thinking and sitting up on your high horse. But if your meeting is turning into two hours of "I dont know what do you want to do?" then dont be afraid to take control. And remeber most of all have FUN !

AJ,
    Don't ask the peopleyou are leading to do something that you yourself would not do. I have always had more respect for leaders that will work beside me rather than asking me to do something that they will not do. If you wont do something how can you expect to have someone else do it. It also goes to show that you have been through it and are willing to lend a hand when needed. The flip side to that is don't let them try to get you to do things that they wont do. Like STM said remember that they are volunteering not being paid to do the work. Have fun doing it and lead more by example and be willing to listen to others.

One rule I have is that I always ask the people I am working with to do something rather than try to order them to do it.
    msharpe1047
    FF II/NREMT-I
    Fraternal Order Of Paramedics Society Charter Member

Thread Information