MembersZone Subscriber

Default how to get the proper training?

HELLO, FELLOW BROTHERS AND SISTERS
    I HAVE BEEN VERY INTERESTED IN WILDFIRE OPERATIONS FOR SOME TIME NOW; BUT BECAUSE I LIVE IN N.Y. I DONT SEE TO MUCH ACTION. BUT HOW WOULD SOMEONE LIKE MYSELF FIND THE PROPER SCHOOLING TO BE CERTIFIED?
    DO THEY DO INTERNS. ? VOLUNTEERS? OR PAID? THAT GET THE CALLS TO GO TO WORK. I AM NOT UP TO SPEED, BUT ANY DIRECTION WOULD GET ME IN THE RIGHT STEP. THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME.
    DEAN

MembersZone Subscriber

I'd also like to know, if anyone else knows.

I'm still probational on a call department, which means I'm less experienced then a recent full time academy graduate, so I know I wouldn't be any good if I went to help now. I'd just get in the way - but I'd like to get the training.

J Byrne

Cool How to get Wildland certified

If you are not currently on a fire department that offers wildland firefighter training that meets the National Wildfire Coordinating Group (NWCG) standards (usually 32 hours of training) it's best to be at least sponsored by a fire department. Then, contact your State Forester (or State Fire Marshall if your state does not have a State Forester); they should be able to give you information about where and when the training will be offered. Maybe you already know that to meet the NWCG standards for a wildland firefigher, you need to pass an annual "Work Capacity Test". For a Type 2 wildland firefighter, this means walking 3 miles in 45 minutes while carrying 45 pounds on your back. A physical exam may be required before taking the WCT.

After passing the 32 hours of training and the Work Capacity Test, then you qualify for a "Fire Qualifications Card", usually known as a a "Red Card". Work through your State Forester again to get on the list to be sent to fires as an "AD" (Administratively Determined) firefighter for fire assignments.

If you have a US Forest Service, National Park Service, Bureau of Land Management, or State Forest Service office near you, they can also answer some questions on this subject.

Sr. Information Officer

Dean,
    Check with the NY Wildfire Academy and ask what their requirements are for enrollment. The school is located at the Brookhaven National Laboratory in Upton, NY....very near you. They offer many wildland firefighting courses.

New York Wildfire & Incident Management Academy
    New York State Department of Environmental Conservation
    Bldg. 40 - SUNY
    Stony Brook, NY 11790-2356

You just missed the 2003 courses, which were held October 24 through November 2, 2003.

For info on upcoming classes:

Contact Charles T. Hamilton
    fireacad@gw.dec.state.ny.us
    631-444-0270.
    Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

Forum Member

Dean
    Every year they have wildfire courses at Brookhaven National Lab. It is connected to the Forrest Service. I don't know if you can get your Red Card from it though. A couple of guys from my department went. They did some hands on courses. They said they learned allot.

Stay Safe

Also sorry I didn't see NJFFSA16's post before posting mine. It is the same course.

NJFFSA16 can you get your Red Card through this course?
    Last edited by XCAPT1; 11-29-2003 at 02:08 AM.

If you take and pass the S130/190 course AND take and complete the pack test in the required time you will be put on the list for certification. New York does not give you the red card at that time, but if you get called for an assignment, you can receive it. The NYS Forest Rangers pretty much are the lead agency in New York.
    And yes, too bad you missed the last academy. We held it the last week of October to the 1st week of November.
    We had a lot of students and several "newbies" at the 130/190 course.

Thread Information