MembersZone Subscriber

Question were do I start ???

My name is Nick and I live in central NJ. I am currently a volunteer ff and am curious as to were do I get started when it comes to becoming a career ff??? I have only been active for 10 months. I have completed ff1. What is my next step???

Rabble rouser

Well, the same way you would start with any other job... Apply.

The fire department is a unique animal in that, at least in the departments I've been in, they will train those with experience right next to the guy who was flipping burgers or driving the trash truck yesterday. Does experience help? Sure. Is it absolutely necessary for a career job, no.

I'm sure Capt. Bob will weigh in on this one fairly soon...
    Member IACOJ - Building crust and full of lust...

"It's okay to to scared, just don't be chicken." - Clark

Forum Member

Kober's right with everything, including use of valuable resources like CaptBob. While applying and searching for all the departments you could possibly work for, look into fire classes if there is an academy or a fire department-based class nearby. New Hampshire has FF1, FF2, and Certified Career Firefighter, the first of 2 being classes that are at the academy or in a station. Departments will often push their candidates through a fire academy, but having one extra class than the next guy could be an asset, especially when it comes to experience & those scenario-based questions on the oral board! Best of luck, and keep us posted with everything that happens.
    ~Kevin
    Firefighter/Paramedic
    --^v--^v--^v--^v--
    Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong
    Dennis Miller

Thread Information