Thread: Hose testers

Forum Member

Default Hose testers

Does anyone use a hose tester and if so what brand and model
    What advantages and disadvantages have you found with it

MembersZone Subscriber

Ahh the hose testers. My career dept has 2 of em sitting in the bay as we speak. When we were testing hose this summer somehow it got wet and and the crapped out. Not sure exactly what brand they are but that was the first time we used em. If you ask me its basicly a waste of money. Just get a manifold and run from the truck.
    After I'm dead I'd rather have people ask why I have no monument than why I have one

Official Minister of Philosophy of the IACOJ

IACOJ Probie Crusty of the year 2003

Forum Member

We have used hose testers for years at both my career and volly departments. We have had very few problems and most of those were caused by operator error.

The biggest reason is safety. Check NFPA on the requirements for using an engine to do the hose test. There have been injuries and a few deaths over the years when a section blew during testing and struck someone. The portable testers are much safer in case of a failure and still allow you to test multiple sections at one time. We use a "Delta" brand by TYCO that has five outlets allowing you to test up 1500' at a time.

The second reason is to save wear and tear on the engine.

12TruckIrons,

If two new testers crapped out because they got wet, the manufacturer should fix them. Ours are "sealed motors" and have never had a problem with getting wet. Maybe it is a "low Bidder" thing.

Stay Safe
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

It probably was a low bidder thing, but they were here before I was, so I am gonna assume they sat out their warranty on the bay floor.
    After I'm dead I'd rather have people ask why I have no monument than why I have one

Official Minister of Philosophy of the IACOJ

IACOJ Probie Crusty of the year 2003

Thread Information