Forum Member

Unhappy LA Courthouse shooting

Anyone watched the videotape shooting of a lawyer outside a courthouse in LA yet?
    WOW!
    Makes me sick to watch...

*Mark
    FTM-PTB-RFB-EGH

Forum Member

Default Is it lawyer season again, so soon....

I guess I should act like a responsible adult and say something like thats terrible, etc.
    But after all it was a lawyer, not a person.
    (should now be CharlieRFD,past,Pres.), but I've had this screen name for so long, I'm keeping it..., besides I'm Deputy Chief now.
    BE SAFE OUT THERE
    NEVER FORGET
    GOD BLESS THE 343 AND 60, MAY GOD GRANT HIS PEACE TO THEIR LOVED ONES.
    IACOJ
    F.O.O.P.

MembersZone Subscriber

Well there is one lawyer who is glad that his client didn't have a membership at the local gun club.

Not that I really wanted to see the shark get shot, but I have to ask: How the hell did the nutcase miss him? Shooting Point Blank from 2' away around a 10" tree trunk, and he still didn't get hit?

Lucky, Lucky, Bastard!

That Dep Sheriff sure cleaned the gunman's clock on the takedown though. That one should make the NFL highlight reel.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Forum Member

Anyone but me notice when whack mc'nuts was shooting at his lawyer around the tree the cruiser driveing in the backround stop when he was shooting then go after he walked away.

Guy had some pebbles I will say.

Whats the difference between a skunk that got hit buy a car and lawyer that got hit buy a car? The skunk had skid marks in front of it!

Happy Halloween!

Forum Member

Oh man.....that was just messed up today. I didn't think anyone was equipped well enough to start shooting at a guy in the middle of the day.

I got a kick out of the girl on the payphone in the background......the guys shooting and she still stands there and talks on the phone.

code_blue81
    Jeremy Culver
    IACOJ Bureau of EMS

These views are my own and do not represent the views or opinions of anyambulance service that I am affiliated with.

Help our fellow firefighters.
    www.helpingourown.com
    "Firefighters Helping Firefighters"

MembersZone Subscriber

Anyone but me notice when whack mc'nuts was shooting at his lawyer around the tree the cruiser driveing in the backround stop when he was shooting then go after he walked away.
    Anyone but me notice that a fire engine stops in front of the burning building and then drives away?

Why? Because the best tactical position is not always RIGHT NEXT TO THE DANGEROUS INCIDENT!

Or maybe the officer didn't realize what was happening.

It's amazing, a whackjob shoots another man in the face and what do you guys do? Make fun of the victim and attack the cops. Real professional.
    Last edited by GeorgeWendtCFI; 11-01-2003 at 05:49 AM.

Forum Member

Originally posted by mcaldwell
    Not that I really wanted to see the shark get shot, but I have to ask: How the hell did the nutcase miss him? Shooting Point Blank from 2' away around a 10" tree trunk, and he still didn't get hit?
    Perhaps you should watch the footage a few more times. He DID get hit, multiple times in various places. Luckily, none of them seem to have hit anything critical. In fact, you can see him take at least one bullet to the left arm You even see a bullet hole in his sleeve from the bullet exiting out the back of his arm. I think people thought he never got hit because he walked away (and out of the camera shot). He collapsed right after the cameras panned away from him but remained concious. Last report I saw, he was in stable condition.

As for the girl on the pay phone, you know, she could have been on the phone with 9-1-1???

In all the whacky things I've seen on the news, I have never in my life seen anything like this. My jaw was on the floor in disbelief, that just doesn't happen. It was like a cartoon unfolding outside the courthouse with live ammo.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

Was it just me or did the girl on the phone seem to have on some "hooters" shorts under her coat? Just sort of reminded me of the hooters attire.
    http://www.sanantoniofire.org

IACOJ
    Got Crust?

We lucky few, ... we band of brothers

Forum Member

I believe he got hit in each shoulder.

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by 33motor
    Was it just me or did the girl on the phone seem to have on some "hooters" shorts under her coat? Just sort of reminded me of the hooters attire.
    Was it just me, or id this a completely irrelevant post in response to another human being being shot?

None of you whp post this drivel can have an intellectually honest discussion aout professionalism or compassion again.

Forum Member

Was it just me, or id this a completely irrelevant post in response to another human being being shot?
    Uh, it's not just you... it's very irrelevant. I can choose what "part" of a topic I want to post about George... whether you like it or not! It's a free country, remember?

None of you whp post this drivel can have an intellectually honest discussion aout professionalism or compassion again.
    Oh, show me the error of my ways George......... ye who sits on high, ruling over us. What a joke.

Do I think it's funny some guy got shot? NO. Do I think the girls shorts look strangely like hooters shorts... LOL, yeppers.

Hey, guess what Georgy boy, I'm gonna have all the discussions I want... professional, or otherwise. Besides, I don't have compassion because I mentioned something about her shorts.... give me a break.
    http://www.sanantoniofire.org

IACOJ
    Got Crust?

We lucky few, ... we band of brothers

Forum Member

This is typical humor in public safety.

MembersZone Subscriber

Dateline did a detailed bit on this incident tonight, so to clear up the confusion:

The Lawyer was hit 4 times in the arms and shoulders, and once in the neck. The neck injury was close to the carotid, but he was ok (relatively speaking of course), and expected to be released today. The Doctors said he was in excellent condition considering what he had been through. Again, Lucky Bastard!

The Gunman was allegedly seeking revenge because the lawyer was in control of his medical trust fund, and would not release some money for back surgery he required. The Gunman had a second loaded gun in his pocket which he didn't use. Maybe he was planning on finishing himself off later?

The Dep Sheriff who took the gunman down was on his way to court unarmed and in plain clothes, when the camera man from court TV pointed him out. He took him down unarmed. Some balls!

The girls WAS wearing Hooters shorts. That was her Halloween costume. And yes, she was calling 911 on the phone (both phones actually).
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by MrJim911
    This is typical humor in public safety.
    Let me tell you something, I have been in "public safety" for over 25 years. This is NOT "typical humor" where I am from. The victim of a shooting deserves respect and compassion regardless of who or what he is.

You guys are quick to point out the incidents where law enforcement officers screw up. Let's see how many of you read mcaldwell's post and praise the off-duty MOS for the apprehension. Nope, let's focus on a shadow of what someone thinks is a patrol car that didn't happen to stop.

mcaldwell, thanks for the update. It was nice to see an intelligent post here.

Forum Member

When will people learn to do it right.... use a shotgun. We have a winner in town that has been thru three drive by shootings in the past few years. He is too dumb to move or stop messing with the homies. That is about 30 shots that missed this guy

If only I could be so lucky with powerball

Forum Member

Congrats on your long tenure GeorgeWendtCFI. I've been in it for 6 years and it's like this everywhere I've been, dispatchers, officers, firefighters and paramedics alike. We call people that have been in fires crispy critters and we call people that have been shot 4-5 times "lucky bastards". And if there is a girl in the background of a horiffic video wearing Hooters garb in a phone booth talking to 911, that IS funny to many people. The amazing thing about humans is that we can see the funny side in all things, a gift I think. I feel sorry for people who think they have to be stuffy and professional 24/7... what a dreary existence. Humor is a typical coping mechanism... and based on what you've said I wouldn't want to be where you are, wherever that may be. Are we happy the guy got shot? No, this equals compassion. Did he live? Yes. That would be the professionalism, and don't tell me with 100% certainty the guys/gals that treated him didn't crack a few lawyer jokes or think him a "lucky bastard". And the off duty officer that tackled the mope is a hero. Respect is given where it's due, humor as well. The two are interchangeable.

MembersZone Subscriber

Not to start a fight but....

The Deputy that tackled him was a "reserve" deputy on his way to court. Yes, he was unarmed. Some have given him grief for doing what he did off duty and unarmed, not bing a full time deputy. Being a "reserve deputy" myself, I or any other "reserve" I know would have done the same thing. Sure, there are all kinds of what if's but it all worked out fine. Bad guys went to jail, good guys went home an the press got their story. This Deputy does have balls the size of churchbells just for doing that.

George...I understand what your saying and thing your missing the point. I usually agree with what you say about the both the fire and law enforcement aspect of things but here I think your misunderstanding. We are not laughing at him or the bad guy, just the whole craziness of the deal itself. You of all people should know that if you don't laugh and find the humor in things to deal with them in your own special way, you will go crazy. We are in a very unique line of work. We get paid to do, see and clean up things no one ever wants to see or know about. Humor, and the twisted sense of humor we have in this line of work, is what everyone see's right away. We all feel bad for the victim. I'nm sure we all are glad that that he lived and is doing fine. I for one am glad the bad guy was caught too and nobody else go hurt. Who knows what he would have done with that other gun in his pants.

Sooo...All is well and now we can laugh about it. Cry about it too or whatever you want to do.

Keep you head down and your powder dry.

&

Rsrv.Sgt.Jason Knecht
    Eau Claire County Sheriff Office
    Eau Claire, WI

Forum Member

I suspect that comes from the usual full time vs reserve feuding that exists pretty much anywhere you go. (Could be compared to the perverbial paid-vs-volly issue) Some disgruntled fulltimer with nothing better to whine about will whine about something like this. It is childish and just goes to show their own lack of self-confidence. It doesn't matter if he is paid part time or full time, he is a police officer all the time regarless of being on the clock.

As far as doing what he did un-armed, the sneak attack and take down was probably the better way to go about it anyway. If he pulled out a sidearm and did the "Police! Freeze!" routine, I personally think he would have pulled out his other gun and started shooting again. At best it would have been a standoff at gunpoint. He took him down fast and with no time for the guy to react. Reinforcements arrived very quickly and all turned out very well.

Some people will Monday morning quarterback this to death. The truth is, NO ONE knows what would have happened if done differently so I only offer my opinion on it.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

MembersZone Subscriber

First let me say that I, too, think the off-duty MOS is a hero. I have read enough anti-law enforcement posts here to know that this officer (I don't care if he is sworn or reserve) will get beat this guy uo for being unsafe. I agree that it was absolutely the correct tactical manuever. My point may not have been clear. I was saying that people would rather focus on some innocuous thing like the radio car than on the heroic action of the officer.

I could not possibly care less about the Hooters girl, "lucky bastard" or any of those humorous posts. My exception is taken to the group of cretons in the first couple of posts who insinuated that somehow, becuase he was a lawyer, the victim deserved to get shot. I do not need the lectures. I have never been accused of being "stuffy" and know how to laugh at appropriate things. However, saying that a crime victim, particularly the victim of a violent crime, deserved the attack is wrong. Period.

Forum Member

Originally posted by GeorgeWendtCFI
    However, saying that a crime victim, particularly the victim of a violent crime, deserved the attack is wrong. Period.
    Agreed.

The humor some find in a messed up situation is not limited to public safety or us here.

The Rock station I listen to, alternately with NPR, on my morning commute was dubbing him the "Termi-lawyer" for taking all the shots and he just kept going. Great soundbite from him this morning, calmly describing all his bullet wounds & the one remaining in his neck, perfectly calm & collected.

I myself haven't seen the video yet!

MembersZone Subscriber

Here's a story about the cool, calm and collected scumbag ambulance chaser who deserved to get shot multiple times.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Attorney in Televised Shooting Released
    Monday, November 03, 2003

LOS ANGELES A lawyer who survived a gunman's attack that was captured on videotape said he hadn't met the suspect before the assault and feels fortunate to be alive.

Gerry Curry (search), 53, was released Sunday from a hospital after being shot at close range by a man identified by police as William Strier (search), 64. Curry was shot in his arm and neck.

Dramatic television footage from crews covering Robert Blake (search)'s murder case Friday showed Curry, of Simi Valley, trying to hide behind a tree as Strier fired a revolver outside the Van Nuys courthouse.

"It's weird. It's the kind of thing that always happens to someone else," Curry said. "This is the thing you see on TV, but this time it happened to me. But the main thing is that I survived, so I'm very grateful."

After the attack, Curry staggered from behind the tree, blood on his face, and held up his hands before collapsing. An off-duty sheriff's reserve officer tackled Strier.

Strier was arrested, booked for investigation of attempted murder and was being held on $1 million bail. He was scheduled to appear in court Tuesday.

With scars on his face and his arm in a sling, Curry told reporters that he had never met Strier before, but had heard about prior threats.

"A man walked up to me and said 'Are you Mr. Curry?' and I said, 'Yes, who are you?' and then he just shot me," Curry said. "I didn't even see the gun. I heard a pop and I knew I'd been shot because the blood spattered up in my face."

Court documents show Strier was involved in a dispute in which he alleged a trustee appointed by the court to manage his trust fund was withholding money he needed for medical care. The fund was established with money Strier received in an injury settlement.

Thread Information