MembersZone Subscriber

Default Observation of a Patriot

This post has no imediate connection to the fire service but since we firemen are a patriotic lot by character, I thought this observation I made would hit a nerve. Yesterday I attended my sons footbal game. When it came time for the playing of the national Anthem I was amazed at how many men failed to take off their hats and place them over their heart. I was equally amazed at how many people in general didn't place their hands over their hearts or were busy looking around. the kids, and I mean all the way up to the teens were mostly ambivelent. Where has the patriotism gone?..........
    "Never trust a smiling dog"
    Delaware F.O.O.L. FTM-PTB-EGH

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Patriotism

Patriotism is not taught in schools anymore, it is not handed down by family members (unless some family member is in the armed forces).
    Patriotism is a Bandwagon Ride. People jump on it when it is conveinent for them to make a statement, or run for office.
    There are now too many "Holiday" sales on days of observance, that were initially set aside for solemn thoughts of those who gave the supreme sacrifice.
    When I was a young boy, on Memorial Day, all businesses were closed for the Observance, (it was called Decoration Day back then). On Veterans Day, there was always a stoppage of business at the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month, to pay homage to the end of the great war. The war to end all wars.
    But as I'm sure that you have received an e-mail or two about the changing world. How the United States now gives in to the immigrents who come here to make themselves and their families better, and to live in a democratic society, then bitch because we say prayers in school, and we don't talk their language.
    I could rant on and on on this, but it just makes me madder thinking about it. I served my country, and now my country is too busy worrying about all the other countries.
    Patriotism and respect has gone by the wayside. Its a shame that our world has come to this.
    "The uniform is supposed to say something about you. You get it for nothing, but it comes with a history, so do the right thing when you're in it."
    Battalion Chief Ed Schoales
    from 'Report from Ground Zero' pg 149
    I.A.C.O.J. Member

MembersZone Subscriber

Where I came from when the Pledge of Allegiance or the National Anthem ever came on, we always stood up, putour hands on our hearts and faced the flag. Where have all of the true American values and morals gone?

As an American Redneck Bubba from the South I strongly believe in our freedoms and if you don't want to live the American culture,Please leave. I believe #1 In the Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost #2 prayer anytime anyplace #3 Capitol punishment #4 live by the Golden Rule #5 If you are going to live in the greatest country on this planet the good ole USA speak the language and live our culture. Thanks for letting me vent. May God bless us all and us give him the Praise. from a Ret.COJ

Forum Member

Default Re: Patriotism

Originally posted by AFD368
    Patriotism is not taught in schools anymore, it is not handed down by family members (unless some family member is in the armed forces). Patriotism is a Bandwagon Ride. People jump on it when it is conveinent for them to make a statement, or run for office.
    There are now too many "Holiday" sales on days of observance, that were initially set aside for solemn thoughts of those who gave the supreme sacrifice.
    I agree with you all the way brother, it has long started to become a fad.

But as I'm sure that you have received an e-mail or two about the changing world. How the United States now gives in to the immigrents who come here to make themselves and their families better, and to live in a democratic society, then bitch because we say prayers in school, and we don't talk their language.[/QUOTE]

This i can't agree on, one we all descended from immagrants to this county, My grand parents were liberated by french resistance and Russian Soliders in WWII from a concentration camp in Europe. I believe in the pledge and the national anthem, but some people see it as idolatry, I don't agree with this but I believe it is there right to see it this way. I do not agree with prayer in schools because i pray diffrently then you do,we may pray to the same G*D and our muslim, and Buhdist brothers and sisters pray diffrently then us, and some don't pray at all.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear" - Ambrose Redmoon
    “It’s like Lego’s for firefighters.” Robert James III talking about hose appliances.
    "Police, Firefighters and EMS are the most collectively dysfunctional group of people in existence and only we understand each other!"

MembersZone Subscriber

I stand and salute when the flag goes by in local parades - even if I'm the only one. . .

BTW - there are still a few places where respect for the flag and our country is still taught. (One of the reasons I'm also a Boy Scout leader.)
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

a ship in a harbor is safe. . . but that's not what ships are for

Temporarily/No Longer Active

First let me say that everyone has the right to their opinions and to show whatever respect they feel worthy to the flag or other 'patriotic' symbols.
    With that in mind we should remember that we are a nation of individuals who covet freedom and do not wish to be forced or intimidated into participating in any ceremony.
    While some here will see the "Pledge of Allegiance" as a time to stand and salute others will see reminders of tatics used in brutal dictatorships to impose Socilaist views and ideals upon the helpless citizens. "Just smile and wave the little flag." they were told. If you refuse to play along then someone could report you for unpatriotic sentiments and you will disapear in the night.
    Others will simply have problems with pledging allegiance to an idol instead of simply voicing support for the government.
    There are those among us that believe that the Government has mutated into something that is unworthy of their allegiance and until drastic changes are made in the way that government operates these citizens will not salute it's symbols.
    Some believe that patriotism, like relegion, is a private matter and don't wish to be compelled to practice it in an organised public venue.
    ciffret wrote- ...if you don't want to live the American culture,Please leave. I believe #1 In the Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost #2 prayer anytime anyplace #3 Capitol punishment #4 live by the Golden Rule #5 If you are going to live in the greatest country on this planet the good ole USA speak the language and live our culture.
    Statements like this are hateful and devisive. This county is home to millions of people and more are trying to get in everyday because we are supposted to be tolarant of others here. Our culture is one which welcomes new ideas and ways of thinking. Saying that those who don't share a particular viewpoint should leave sounds like something that is said in some fly infested country which is lorded over by a madman. You are free to believe in the Father, Son and the Pillsbury Doughboy for all I care but you are not entitled to special status because of those beliefs. Pray anytime you want but not so that it disturbs others. Capital punishment is seen by many people as brutal and uncivilised. The countries which practice it are usually the ones with the worst human rights records. What does that say about us? The Golden Rule is found in one form or another in most cultures and is not exclusive to America or the christian bible. I agree that the USA is the greatest country in the world but do we need to conform to the customs of one segment of the population to get along? How sad the world you live in must be. How Boring.
    For those who wish to know more about the origins of the Pledge of Allegiance I include here a link to an article in the ACLU archives so that you can learn more on this subject- http://archive.aclu.org/news/move/pledgeorigin.html .

Free your mind and the rest will follow.

Steve Raacke,
    Security Officer/EMT/Firefighter
    Libertarian, Atheist, Patriot
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information