Lightbulb Thank the Unions for the Story

Sounds like this guy visited too many union firehouses and not enough volunteer houses. Strange, but as a non union (hopefully never will be)10 year+, twice decorated, volunteer and career firefighter, I can relate to some of this guys arguments. If you really want to change his mind, send him to a couple volunteer departments that actually still practice and particpate in the traditions and integrity that made firefighting what it is today (before the unions made it "cushy" and full of "propaganda" and a "special interest group").

MembersZone Subscriber

You, my brother, are a fool.

Forum Member

Alas, yet another miopic view. The enemy is upon us, and it is us.
    I.A.C.O.J.

SOME ARE FIREMEN
    OTHERS ARE JUST ON
    THE FIRE DEPARTMENT

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs down

Ah yes, more of those "excellent propaganda skills" on display.

Well said, E229LT and Rippin73.

Red face Unionitis

We joke around the Department (my career one) about unionitis, and you guys are proving it. You probably walk to the pumper when you get banged out for a house fire with people trapped, don't you? Unionitis affects the senses. Before long you forget what smoke smells like because you are donning BA before you leave the station. You forget what firemen look like because you have so many breaks and days off that you have to learn names again when you do show up for work. You forget what good firehouse food tastes like because the chef you forced your city to hire only makes healthy food. And you foget what being a real fireman feels like because your more concerned with being politicians than firemen.

Forum Member

You, my brother, are a fool.
    I agree with my brother here. You seem to have a very slanted view of the Union firefighters. And before you go on about how my fire station has Unionitis, we are not nor will we ever be unionized. That is because we are volunteer.
    Lets stop the infighting and unite against those who wish to do us harm by cutting our budgets, cutting our manpower, and making us do more with less. Right now we are only serving to show how weak we really are.
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Firefighter
    IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

Forum Member

Please, please, please do not judge the entire volunteer fire service by what we apparently have here - one of our weakest links.

Stay Safe

Forum Member

We are a family, and when you say hurtfull things about your own family, you damage your own name and credibility.

Be critical, be aware of new and better ways of doing things. But do not besmirch your families good name for no good reason.
    I.A.C.O.J. Charter Member
    "Chet, get an inch and a half on that!"

"Not for fame or reward,Not for place or rank. Not lured by ambition or goaded by necessity. But in simple obedience to duty as they understood it. These men suffered,sacrificed,dared all, and died. Let us never forget our fallen friends."

MembersZone Subscriber

Man, I hate to feed the trolls.

Please, please, please do not judge the entire volunteer fire service by what we apparently have here - one of our weakest links.
    Thanks, PA.

FYI eng210, I'm a vollie like PA and Lewiston2Capt. Your post, like the editorial under discussion, was insulting to me as a FIREFIGHTER. However, since you brought the career/vollie/union thing into the discussion by saying unions made the job "cushy", I guess there's no way we could say that many volunteer firefighters are "adrenalin junkies". If that were the case, you would probably see a lot of vollie firefighter arsonists. We all know THAT doesn't happen.

There are times when firefighter's employment status and collective bargaining status are relevant to the topic at hand and warrant intelligent discussion. This ain't one of those times and the post dang sure wasn't intelligent.

Forum Member

Default Re: Unionitis

Originally posted by eng210
    We joke around the Department (my career one) about unionitis, and you guys are proving it. You probably walk to the pumper when you get banged out for a house fire with people trapped, don't you? Unionitis affects the senses. Before long you forget what smoke smells like because you are donning BA before you leave the station. You forget what firemen look like because you have so many breaks and days off that you have to learn names again when you do show up for work. You forget what good firehouse food tastes like because the chef you forced your city to hire only makes healthy food. And you foget what being a real fireman feels like because your more concerned with being politicians than firemen.

Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

MembersZone Subscriber

ENG210!~

Don't you come on here bashing those ever pefect, never wrong, politically correct, member oriented, always making the best choices for political office, using their memebers money wisely, never crapping on volunteers UNIONS!

You will be run out of here faster than a Witch in Salem Mass.
    This is the "IAFF and the people who love them" forums! Not too many will say anything bad about the IAFF on here. I guess some of the Union guys on here are too intimidating for them. Either that or they have never had to spend a Shift in a Combination House where the career staff complains, eats, complains some more, eats some more, complains about Volunteer Equipment, eats again, Yells that we are not Trained, eats again, makes false log entries about Physical Training and Drilling, Has a Snack, Takes an Ambulance Run and goes home for 72 hours. While we stay there, day in and day out and they enjoy the fruits of our labor.....

HOW DARE YOU CRITICIZE THEM! ...LOL

A Proud Volunteer.

MembersZone Subscriber

Eng210 I concur with everything you said except one small detail. The whole line of crap you shoveling. I am a career and a volly and not in any union, but I do believe that while the union isnt the answer to all of our prayers, they are benificial to the troops. If anything the union helps promote the brotherhood.
    After I'm dead I'd rather have people ask why I have no monument than why I have one

Official Minister of Philosophy of the IACOJ

IACOJ Probie Crusty of the year 2003

MembersZone Subscriber

Sitting in my chair, listening to the scanner while the young kids respond

Exclamation Time to quit

Career, paid on call, volunteer, union; I thought we were all firefighters. I'm retired now but I have worked with every one in my 31 years of service. Fire does not discriminate. While we have all these little arguments such as union vs. non-union, paid vs. volly the money goes some where else. Let's all think as firefighters and work to improve the fire service in all areas. When we fight with each other we only hamper tghe cause.

Stay Safe,

Pete
    Pete Sinclair
    Hartford, MI
    IACOJ (Retired Division)

MembersZone Subscriber
    911 N. Sycamore St. Yep, that's really our address.

This gentleman's opinion is a perfect example of why the Law Enforcement community gets so many of our federal dollars, while we struggle for scraps. You don't see this kind of polarization in LE.

Instead of suggesting workable solutions, he posts infammatory crap that can have no purpose but to enrage. Instead of attempting to build bridges, he digs gorges.

Pretty ballsy for a first post. Time to call in the hounds.

BTW, I am a former union member; worked as a contract medic in a union house; served as a volly; and now am a FT chief on a combo department. The one thing, I have come to the conclusion, that tears this industry apart more than anything else, is cry-baby bulls#it: "How come so-and-so get's to this?" STF and do your job. Don't like the way the union is backing their members in Boston? TFB, mind your own damn business. Don't think the volunteers are trained as well as you? TFB, mind your own damn business. Or belly up and offer some solutions. Both sides. Otherwise, stop wasting my time.
    Omnis Cedo Domus

www.hinckleyfd.org

Forum Member

OK eng210....so when you're limping into the structure fire because you were fighting to be first on the truck, and wrestling into your pack in the front door while sucking in that smoke like the "real" (dead) old-time firefighters while having chest pains from the 10 years of accumulated fat/grease/sugar that the "real" firehouse food made possible I'll be watching and laughing if I happen to be in the neighborhood. I've seen your kind before, my friend, and it's not pretty.
    The article that started all this is more palatable to me - it was written out of ignorance and you can hear the same thing at the local coffee shops. You, in theory, should know better and it's people like you with your narrow-minded prattling in these forums that make it harder for the rest of us, volunteer and career, to counter the authors attitudes.
    So, yeah, I'll take my days off because I have a life.....and I'll help with all the locals "propaganda"....I have to, you see, because not only do we have to correct this authors mis-statements - we have to try to mend the damage that statements like yours cause.....and frankly, that's harder to do.

Keepin it real

Default Re: Time to quit

Originally posted by pete892
    Career, paid on call, volunteer, union; I thought we were all firefighters. I'm retired now but I have worked with every one in my 31 years of service. Fire does not discriminate. While we have all these little arguments such as union vs. non-union, paid vs. volly the money goes some where else. Let's all think as firefighters and work to improve the fire service in all areas. When we fight with each other we only hamper tghe cause.

Stay Safe,

Pete

Right on the money there, WE ARE ALL FIREFIGHTERS FIRST. I am a non-union career firefighter and I have good friends that are union and yes we have talked about going union from time to time, but don't come here and say that all union firefighters act like that, man I can show Vol. firefighters that act like that right here in my station. well enough of that, I'm done, off my soap box, take a deep breath.
    Peace to our fallen brothers...

9/11/01 NYC WTC

7/4/02 Gloucester City, NJ

-=IACOJ=- The proof is in the crust

......Work hard, play hard, and always have fun along the way......

Forum Member

ENG210!~

Don't you come on here bashing those ever pefect, never wrong, politically correct, member oriented, always making the best choices for political office, using their memebers money wisely, never crapping on volunteers UNIONS!

You will be run out of here faster than a Witch in Salem Mass.
    This is the "IAFF and the people who love them" forums! Not too many will say anything bad about the IAFF on here. I guess some of the Union guys on here are too intimidating for them. Either that or they have never had to spend a Shift in a Combination House where the career staff complains, eats, complains some more, eats some more, complains about Volunteer Equipment, eats again, Yells that we are not Trained, eats again, makes false log entries about Physical Training and Drilling, Has a Snack, Takes an Ambulance Run and goes home for 72 hours. While we stay there, day in and day out and they enjoy the fruits of our labor.....

HOW DARE YOU CRITICIZE THEM! ...LOL
    Thanks for the laugh tillerman!

Forum Member

Angry you make me sick

I myself am a vollie, and I take great offense to what you said eng210. I know a lot of paid firefighters and none of them are "unionized" like you say. Unfortunately I don't know enough about unions to be able to bash you and your ridiculous statement but it is obvious that you are a fool.... How dare u say that guys probably walk to the engine when they get a call for a working fire with victims trapped..... I am ashamed to hear that from any firefighter, paid or vollie....u make me sick!!!!!!!!!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

It appears to me by virtue of the fact that eng210 has only recently signed up and has so far only 2 posts, both on this thread, that he may well be someone who, for reasons best known to himself, is having a little fun stirring up a hornets nest and sitting back while everyone argues between themselves and and the thread degenerates into a slanging match. I think it may be best to leave this sad sack to his own devices until another, more exciting, object of his moronic excuse for a brain comes along. Don't let the door hit you in the arse on the way out eng210.

Forum Member

Default Re: Unionitis

Originally posted by eng210
    I'm sorry, but did your mama drop you on your head as a small child???WTF is YOUR problem and BEFORE you get your tightie whities in a knot I'M A VOLUNTEER as well, HOWEVER I still have a healthy respect for ALL my brothers and sisters in the fireservice. *hearing Mom's voice in my head........ if you don't have anything nice to say don't say it at all* Now, where was I???? Oh yeah, I have SEVERAL friends who are CAREER, UNION Firefighters. They have WAY higher call volumes than most vollie departments, they train A HELL OF A LOT more than we do, oh and about the cook thing, ANY house that I've ever known anyone to be a part of did NOT hire cooks. The guys cook for themselves, do their own food shopping etc.. I'm sorry BUT are you in the same fire service that I belong to??? It actually amazed me that someone could come in here, GREEN as the grass on my lawn (posting wise) and post this drivel. Might I suggest that the next time you want to jump down someone's throat and bash THE BROTHERHOOD start in the morning when you look at yourself in the mirror. YOU are the types of BROTHERS the fire service can do without, YOU are what DESTROYS tradition and the family like feel, YOU are what gives the fire service a bad name ........

YOU are an embarassment to us all.
    Last edited by PFire23; 11-04-2003 at 07:58 PM.
    To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the world.

IACOJ-WOT proud

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!

Forum Member

Engine 210...

Pretty ballsy post you put there. I notice that you did not put down an email address or a location...whatsa matter? Afraid of a little heat? Afraid that someone will do a background check on your 10+ year, twice decorated career? (being covered in toilet paper as a prank when you were a snot nosed, lower than whale scat probie doesn't count, either!)

You seem to forget that the article in question blasted the entire fires service. Your attack on unionized firefighetrs here shows your intelligence level, or lack thereof...

Show some testicular fortitude...tell us where you are from.....so we can check your "heroism" for ourselves.

For the record: I am a unionized firefighter... I know firefighters from all over the US, Canada and England. Some are career (unionized and non unionized), some are paid call and volunteer. I would walk with many of them into the gates of hell. I also know others who are also career, paid call and volunteer, who would not know what a fire was even if it came up and bit them in the butt..

Since you came in here thumping your chest about your "exploits" as a way to cement your credibility (or lack thereof)... I am guessing that you fall into the latter category....
    Last edited by CaptainGonzo; 11-04-2003 at 08:34 PM.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Now c'mon Capt G, you know those who suffer the malady known as RECTOCRANIAL INVERSION, also suffer from a lack of Testicular Fortitude

And we also know how freaken easy it is for some to find hiding behind a keyboard a license to subscribe to DICKISMS. A friend of mine once had a saying for ppl such as this...... apparently he is just suffering from a bad case of *****holism.
    Last edited by PFire23; 11-04-2003 at 08:27 PM.
    To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the world.

IACOJ-WOT proud

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Before i reply to this crap, in no way am I bashing the volunteer fire service. I have great respect for them.
    That being said, I belong to a large career/union dept. We used to have several vollie depts. that surrounded our area and we used to hear the same garbage from alot of their members. However, when it came hiring time guess who were the first in line to fill out an application?
    By the way. You may have noticed that I said there "used" to be vollie depts. Most of them are paid depts. now and when they hired they gave the vollie members first crack at getting hired. Most did and guess what, those same depts. have almost 100% union participation.
    Last edited by mallethead; 11-04-2003 at 09:10 PM.

+----------+
    | PLEASE |
    | DO NOT |
    | FEED THE |
    | TROLLS |
    +----------+
    | |
    | |
    \.\|.||/..
    Last edited by Firebraun; 11-04-2003 at 08:48 PM.
    Fire service survival tips:
    1) Cook at 350...
    2) Pump at 150...
    3) When in doubt, isolate and deny entry...
    4) When in trouble, claim lack of adult supervision.

Forum Member

Default Oh boy...

Oh boy... I am sure glad I learned what not to say. But anyways...

I view this as that we are all in somewhat of union, for lack of better words only. Let me explain... Union, self explanatory. But we have firemen associations back here. They get money... they lobby... they support their people. FASNY for example.

I am not going to stoop down to the level of engine210. People like this that wrote the article points out our vulnerabilities, and in some wacky stupid way, it could help us to become stronger if we use it correctly.

But I have said it in the other thread about this story... the guy is a moron. Many firefighters I am sure don't consider themselves as a "hero"(and most that do are somewhat conceited). WE as the fire service cannot help how we are viewed by the public either, and this is what the guy is complaining about. So to me this article doest pertain so much to us, but maybe to the public using the term and trying to get them to use it a bit more intelligently.

I sure as hell hope that you guys can understand what I am saying and that I am not misinterpreted. As with many things, including this article, its not so much the message, its the presentation.

Maybe our message has become obscured, and for that our presentation has declined in value.

But I don't hold all the answers and well, have probably already said to much. I'll leave the rest to Capt. Gonzo and Chief Reason, the ones that generally can make sense of some things.
    Firefighter/EMT Mitch Cowen
    Hose Co. 1 1st Lieutenant
    Randolph Fire Co. Inc

Thread Information