Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Camden, Arkansas, United States of America

Post Proper wear of uniform insignia

Would somebody please let me know if there is a fire department regulation concerning the proper placement of fire department insignia? My VFD recently acquired new dress uniforms and our chief is insisting that the unit patch be placed on the right shoulder, with the American flag on the upper left shoulder. As a U.S. Army veteran, I let him know that I was very uncomfortable with his decision. I'm used to doing it one way and one way only. However, he replied that he didn't want to look like everybody else. So, is there a universal standard? Any help you can give me in clearing up this confusion will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

MembersZone Subscriber

Dont know if its official or not but every uniform I have ever scene the flag is on the right shoulder, with the blue facing to the front.
    After I'm dead I'd rather have people ask why I have no monument than why I have one

Official Minister of Philosophy of the IACOJ

IACOJ Probie Crusty of the year 2003

I WILL AGREE WITH THE PREVIOUS POSTING. MOST UNIFORMS THAT I HAVE SEEN WHETHER THEY WERE DRESS UNIFORMS OR REGULAR STATION WEAR IF IT HAD PATCHES APPLIED THE DEPARTMENT PATCH WENT ON THE LEFT AND THE FLAG, COMPANY, UNIT OR EMT TYPE PATCHES WENT ON THE RIGHT.

I GUESS LOCAL AUTHORITY WOULD PREVAIL BUT WHY WOULD YOU REALLY WANT TO
    DO SOMETHING SO DRASTIC JUST TO BE DIFFERENT?

Forum Member

Most i have seen are as discribed the dept patch on the left and flog on the right. We did away with the flag on the uniform because there was so much controversey about which side the flag should go on. Now we just have the dept patch on both sleeves, but if there is only one patch it has to be on the left sleeve.
    "I truly believe that tradition is important to the long-term survival of the fire service."-Lt. Andrew Fredricks, FDNY,9-11-01

MembersZone Subscriber

Just make sure that the flag is pointing the right way. If on the right arm you need the flag that look backwards (stars to your front)
    My .02 but leave off medic or other unique patches, everyone should be the same in the class A.

Why does the blue have to be to the front if the flag is on the right shoulder? If it does I have the wrong one.
    Firefighter/ EMT-Basic
    Proud Soldier in the Iowa Army National Guard
    GLT 11/25/2005

All Gave Some
    Some Gave All
    Never Forget the Sacrifices Made

These are my opinions and not those of my dept.

I believe that the Stars in the upper right-hand corner of your flag indicates a military unit advancing on enemy troops or occupying a hostile area of operation. Otherwise, the correct way to depict your beautiful flag is with the Stars in the upper left-hand corner (when viewed). This is also true when hanging your flag vertically.
    As a Canadian firefighter, we follow a standard for uniform protocol, which recommends we show our fire department Maltese on both shoulders. When in doubt however, I would recommend following your gut and going with your military background. Hope this is of some help, brother.
    http://www.whitehorsecombat.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Just like on a vehicle the union should be facing the direction of travel. When on the right shoulder it looks backwards but that is the way it should be.
    The union should be closest to a person's heart when on a uniform sleeve. For more details on flying our flag: http://www.ushistory.org/betsy/flagetiq.html
    https://www-perscom.army.mil/tagd/tioh/FAQ/FAQ.htm
    Fly it with pride
    Last edited by ADSNWFLD; 11-08-2003 at 09:15 PM.

Forum Member

Default Proper wear of uniform insignia

All of you are right. The flag can be worn on either side of the uniform, just as long as the stars are toward the front(toward ones heart). If the stars are facing toward the back of a persons uniform, this states that the country is in retreat or retreating from a conflict. Hope that this helps. I have had problems in the past trying to inform my firefighters which is the proper flag to wear.

Thread Information