Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Physical Agility Testing

My agency is a new agency and we are tring to get ideas for a physical agility test. Do any of you know what we could incorporate in our physical agility test? We are currently only an EMS agency so I don't need the CPAT test. I need other options. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks Seth

Talking Fitness Testing

I have been in EMS for many years and a Director of a third service EMS for about 9 years. Unfortunately there is not much of a national standard for EMS and if anyone knows of any I would like to know about it. But, anything you do MUST be job related...you can not really use carrying fire hose up two flights of stairs unless that is what you do in your job. Tasks like carrying an appropriately weighted mannikin on a backboard fitfy feet, or carrying "a full load of equipment" that you carry in on calls, or similar tasks. You also have to be careful about a task test that you feel is appropriate and it is felt to be discriminatory by the courts.

MembersZone Subscriber

Yea we finally figured out what we would do and that was a test with 4 phases. First phase is going to be carring a 50 LB jump bag up two flights of stairs and then back down and place the bag on a table. Second phase is to get with a partner and they have to carry a 160 lb mannequinon a scoop stretcher up and down two flights of stairs switching the top and bottom positions after the first time and repeat then they are required to place the scoop stretcher on a 35 A stretcher and raise and lower switching positions and repeating. The third phase is to perform one minute of CPR while on the floor and the candidate then will be required to intubate the mannequin within three attempts with no more than 30 seconds inbetween ventilations. The fourth phase is to walk through a slalom of cones the length of the gym then sprint back to the finish line.

We will try this and see how it works. Thanks for your help

Seth

MembersZone Subscriber

Wink

I'm a Life Member of the Bethesda Chevy Chase Rescue Squad in Montgomery County, MD. Their operations have served as a model for volunteer rescue squads across the nation for more than 50 years. They have conducted physical abilities screening tests for new members for at least 15 years. The issue arose when a very small member had difficulty carrying equipment and lifting the stretcher into the ambulance (back when you had to lift the entire gurney and patient .

Go to BCCRS Web site and leave an e-mail for the training officer. He or she should be happy to provide you with their "test".

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by davesnavy99
    I'm a Life Member of the Bethesda Chevy Chase Rescue Squad in Montgomery County, MD. Their operations have served as a model for volunteer rescue squads across the nation for more than 50 years. They have conducted physical abilities screening tests for new members for at least 15 years. The issue arose when a very small member had difficulty carrying equipment and lifting the stretcher into the ambulance (back when you had to lift the entire gurney and patient .

Go to BCCRS Web site and leave an e-mail for the training officer. He or she should be happy to provide you with their "test".
    Your a life member at BCCRS? I'm active there

Thread Information