Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

GRRRRRRRRRRRRr drunk drivers make me so mad. You wanna kill yourself FINE, but don't put other people in jeopardy just because you are a dumbass The sad fact of the matter is that it's rarely the drunk who is the fatality, it's always some innocent in the wrong place at the wrong time. I can only hope that this guy gets a long, hard sentence; I was just going to say that I hope they take his license away permanently however I thought that would be a stupid statement, as people drive everyday without one. Our world has become one of survival of the fittest, you constantly have to watch your back no matter where you are, cuz the nutf**ks roam wild and free.
    To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the world.

IACOJ-WOT proud

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!

you constantly have to watch your back no matter where you are, cuz the nutf**ks roam wild and free.
    I have heard no truer words today!

The survivor is 20-year-old Matthew Panter.

RIP Matthew.

Today I got called to do a "First Removal", the body that I had to take to the funeral home was Matthew. I can't even begin to tell you how much that sickened me, how much of a waste I feel these four deaths (5 counting the unborn child) are. While part of my job is to move deceased parties to the funeral homes, it is usually people from middle age to the very elderly. Those who have passed on due to natural causes or illnesses. This was the first time I've moved a young person (I also saw one of the other victims when I dropped Matthew off, and that threw me a bit, was like looking at my own teenager) and it got to me a bit. But thankfully I have some really good friends who listened to me talk about it and how I felt about this whole situation and next time won't be so bad. But I sincerely hope there isn't a "next time" (to move a young person) for a really long time.
    To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the world.

IACOJ-WOT proud

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!

Emotions high as teen held in drunken driving accident

By JULIE MANGANIS

Staff writer

IPSWICH - Michelle Sullivan had been crying all morning, occasionally sobbing, as she awaited her arraignment on vehicular homicide charges yesterday morning.

But when the handcuffs closed around her wrists, the 19-year-old became hysterical.

"No, no, I didn't mean to do it," Sullivan wailed at court officers. "I'm so scared."

Sullivan, who had been free on $1,000 bail, pleaded not guilty yesterday in Ipswich District Court to charges that include vehicular homicide while driving drunk and recklessly, and driving to endanger, a week after an accident on Linebrook Road that killed her friend, 17-year-old Lisa Sparaco of Ipswich.

Judge Allen Swan raised Sullivan's bail to $10,000 on the new case, and then revoked her release in an Oct. 24 drunken driving arrest and ordered her held without bail.

The decision to revoke bail in the earlier drunken driving case means that even if the Sullivan family posts the $10,000 bail, Sullivan, of 1 Cobblers Lane, Beverly, will remain at the state prison in Framingham for up to 60 days, or until the older drunken driving case is resolved.

She could face up to 15 years in prison on the vehicular homicide charges.

Sullivan was driving on a temporary, 15-day license issued after her Oct. 24 drunken driving arrest in Hamilton when, late on the night of Nov. 5, she headed down a rain-slicked Linebrook Road at nearly twice the speed limit, chatting on a cell phone and, police and prosecutors allege, drunk on malt liquor.

Prosecutor John Brennan said Sullivan's green Honda Accord plowed into a utility pole, shearing the pole in half and embedding part of it in the side of the car - the side where Sparaco was sitting.

As police arrived, Sullivan ran over and yelled, "Lisa is still in the car," Brennan told the judge. Sparaco, trapped in the wreckage, was "unresponsive," Brennan said.

Police noted a strong odor of alcohol, the prosecutor said.

Sullivan allegedly acknowledged to police that she had been drinking that night: "Yes, I had a 40-ouncer," she said, referring to a bottle of King Cobra malt liquor allegedly purchased for the teens by an acquaintance earlier that evening.

"No, you had two 40-ouncers," passenger Nicole Pechilis, 18, allegedly yelled after overhearing Sullivan.

As Brennan quoted Pechilis, Sullivan gasped.

Refused Breathalyzer

At Beverly Hospital, where she was taken for a broken rib and other injuries, Sullivan refused a blood alcohol test, but admitted to giving another man, David Helm, $10 to buy four 40-ounce bottles of cheap malt liquor, which she and her friends drank at the home of another friend, Rick Surpitski, Brennan said.

Helm, who has pleaded not guilty to charges of providing alcohol to a minor, also appeared yesterday in Ipswich District Court for a probation violation hearing, but that hearing was postponed to Dec. 11 so that a newly appointed attorney, John Bjorlie, could prepare for a hearing. Helm is being held without bail for allegedly violating his probation in a malicious destruction of property case.

Brennan had urged the judge to revoke Sullivan's release in the Oct. 24 arrest, saying she had shown "an utter disregard for the court's order that clearly delineated that she not get into trouble," and that the court's order had not deterred her from drinking and driving.

Defense lawyer Lawrence Pidgeon argued that Sullivan should be allowed to go home with her parents, supervised by an electronic monitoring bracelet.

He argued that Sullivan, a Hamilton-Wenham Regional High School graduate and day-care worker, had learning disabilities, including attention deficit disorder, and "she does not have the maturity of a 19-year-old, more the maturity of a 16-year-old."

"Another life is before you that is at stake," said Pidgeon.

He also challenged the strength of the Oct. 24 drunken driving charge, contending that her Breathalyzer readings of .06 and .07 could result in a verdict of not guilty (though under state law, a person under 21 can be convicted of drunken driving with a level as low as .02). Sullivan has already asked for a jury trial in that case; a pretrial hearing is scheduled for Dec. 8 in Peabody District Court.

Swan was unpersuaded, and he granted the prosecutor's requests. He also granted Brennan's motion that Sullivan immediately be taken to the Ipswich police station, next door to the courthouse, to be fingerprinted and photographed.

Courthouse melee

That led to some tense moments outside the courthouse.

As Sullivan was being led in handcuffs from the courthouse to the police station, she nearly collapsed, screaming and crying, "I can't do it."

While a television news crew attempted to videotape her being brought into the police station, relatives of Sullivan blocked the camera.

One of her uncles, Robert Sullivan, 47, of Medford, shoved reporter Pam Cross and photographer Stan Forman of Beverly, and then, as a police officer tried to pull him away, made obscene remarks to the cameraman. That led to Robert Sullivan being arrested and charged with two counts of assault and battery and being disorderly. He pleaded not guilty to those charges at an arraignment later yesterday morning, and was released on $500 bail, with an order to stay away from Forman and Cross.

Mary Sullivan of Medford, an aunt of the defendant, said her niece was "very upset and very frightened" about what had happened to her friend and what was going to happen to her. Later, she bore the wrath of other family members for speaking to the press.

Outside the courthouse, Sparaco's mother and stepfather spoke briefly about their daughter, who did not live with them.

Marcia and Gary Ricci of Peabody insist they had no idea that Sparaco, still in high school, was living in Massachusetts again until Oct. 28, just a week before the fatal accident. They said they thought the girl was living in New Jersey with her father, though they had asked her to return and attend school in Peabody.

"She had her own way of doing things," said Marcia Ricci. "I'm going to miss her a whole lot."

Thread Information