Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Volunteer opportunities in Texas

I recently moved from northern NJ to Dallas, TX. In NJ I was a volunteer firefighter for 7 years and I don't want to end that part of my life. Is anyone aware of any departments in the Dallas area that accept volunteers? I have done some research and see that most departments are career and the only volunteer ones I have come accross are a substantial distance from the city. I though I remembered someone mentioning Cockrell Hill fire department, but I have not found any information. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I did a search on google and didn't come up with much. But, there does appear to be a dept. called that. I would imagine that there are some VFD's up there somewhere. I guess it boils down to where you are in relation to them. Maybe someone from up that way will have some info. I know that you used to be able to obtain an "alpha list" from Austin, TX that had all of the paid FD's in the state, along with their address' and ph numbers. Not sure if there is a list ofr VFD's though. That list may have come from the TX commission of fire protection located in Austin. Thier addy is:

TX Fire Comm.

Anyway, maybe they can help if no one else knows anything.

Good luck.
    http://www.sanantoniofire.org

IACOJ
    Got Crust?

We lucky few, ... we band of brothers

COCKRELL HILL VFD -- 4125 W CLARENDON DR, DALLAS, TX 75211-4919
    Type: VOL. Phone: (214) 330-6333 Fax: (214) 330-5483 Last update: 9/24/1997.
    Fire Chief: RANDY K FRANKLIN Fire Marshal: N/A Training Officer: N/A
    http://www.sanantoniofire.org

IACOJ
    Got Crust?

We lucky few, ... we band of brothers

Thank you very much for your help. Don't really feel like keeping the leather on the bookshelf much longer.

MembersZone Subscriber

WhatExit-

Can you let me know what you found out? Just send me what ever you found out in a PM

Thanks
    Proud member of the IACOJ
    ftm-ptb-egh
    *** These are my opinions, they do not in any way reflect those of my department.***

MembersZone Subscriber

Isn't Plano a volunteer department? I thought they were outside Dallas/Ft. Worth but it might be Houston, no clue. Also you got the Ponderosa VFD, which is a pretty sizeable organization down there, although I think they are outside Houston as well. I have no idea of the distance between Houston and D/FW. I have never been to Texas, but it's on my "To Do" list this summer.

Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

Plano is a paid dept. I think Sunnyvale in eastern Dallas county is volunteer but i got that info about 6 years ago. There are several depts in Denton and Collin County which are volunteer.
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

Cool

Originally posted by TillerMan25
    I have no idea of the distance between Houston and D/FW. I have never been to Texas, but it's on my "To Do" list this summer.
    About 5 to 6 hours.

FE

Lightbulb

Where around Dallas are you? There are meny departments just north of dallas. If you still want to know I can get you in touch with some of the people you need to talk to.

I live in Uptown Dallas. Since my post I have discovered that Frisco has a volunteer program, but Frisco is about 45 minutes away, without traffic. Also, as a volunteer you are required to ride a shift every 6th day (12 hour night shift) and if your shift falls on a weekend you work a 24. Being an accountant for a large company I generally work 10-12 hours per day and don't have that kind of time. I guess the search continues. Too bad, they seem to have a good department. If you know of any others that you think are worth looking into please let me know. All replies are greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

Thread Information