Forum Member

Default Roof Vent Simulator Plans

I searched around the forums and only located a dead thread on the above issue. My shift mates and I have decided to construct one and we feel confident we can bang one together (a simulator,now stop giggling!) with out plans but I would like to scope out a few ideas before progressing. Any help or ideas greatly appreciated.
    Proud to be an American, Union Firefighter!

Forum Member

As a member that just transferred out of an engine company to a truck company I too am curious about the same thing!! Only being in a truck company for 3 months I have only cut one roof and I was with another much more experienced "truckie" so I'm really interested in this topic on training for roof ventilation.

Forum Member

The Massachusetts Fire Academy has a roof vent simulator. It is set up on a pitch like a normal roof, and has panels that can be dropped in. The panels are covered with roofing shingles,and the students have to "cut the panels" to vent the roof.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

The Fire Academy I went to had 2 Simulators....one was a Flat Roof and one was the Pitch Roof. Everything was shingled except the Designated area's where we would be doing the cutting. We just used plywood to cover the holes....clamped down the pieces of wood and went to town.
    Andrew
    Firefighter/EMT
    New Jersey

Forum Member

I have done a few drills like that , using the plywood over an open hole. But I don't think that it gives that real feeling. What I mean is that there are no beams underneath. At a "real" fire you don't want to cut straight through the beams and undermine the structural integrity of the roof. If you could set something up with beams so the students know what the saw feels like; if your cutting too deep into beams or cutting through them. But I guess you can't simulate everything and you just have to rely on experience?
    Last edited by firefiftyfive; 11-05-2003 at 11:19 PM.

Forum Member

We simply had a local contractor (who happens to be a member) build a partial roof just like a real one. It's an average pitch, shingled and all. 99% of our roof's are shingled pitches, so it made the most sense for our needs. Normal beams, normal spacings. Built it so it can be disassembled into smaller pieces for movement/storage. It's only 8x8 so 2 sheets of plywood and your done. Get a couple nail guns and 4 guys and it can be tar papered and shingled in less than 30 minutes. We have even gone as far as putting 5 layers of shingles to make it more realistic.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Roof Simulator

The DCFD Training academy has a full-scale flat roof simulator as well as a piched roof simulator. The flat roof building features cut-out pannels, skylights, hatches and a stairway bulkhead and door complete with a "power Jamb" forcible entry device. If you are interested in obtaining a copy of the plans, e-mail me for the details. I'd be more than willing to share them with anyone who is interested in building something similar.
    Last edited by Ladders3; 11-06-2003 at 01:04 PM.

Forum Member

We have even gone as far as putting 5 layers of shingles to make it more realistic.
    We have done the same thing. After the holes are cut, we also replace the panels back in place, tacked them down and then re-sheathed and shingled over top of the entire first layer to make it more realistic.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-RFB-KTF

Forum Member

Here's a link to a photo of one we built for in- house training.
    Same concept as the others, a panel is cut out, allowing new panels in its place. Constructed as a typical roof, beams and all. Good for new members that you don't feel comfortable enough to take up on the real thing. http://newcityfire.org/img/ph_openhouse2003_2_sm.jpg

Thread Information