Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MembersZone Subscriber SamsonFCDES's Avatar

Default Rosenbaur HERO Helmet

I cant help it, I have a sick fasination with space helmets...

I am going to get one, sooner or later, I just cant stop myself...

Has anybody ever used or ben around a HERO Helmet?

http://www.rosenbauer.com/index.php?...d=64&key=A6000

They have a lot of neat features.

They have the suspension adjustment knob sticking just a bit out of the back of the helmet. You can adjust them very easily. Excellent face shield that retracts completely into the helmet. Supposed to offer excellent protection.

The white ones glow in the dark.

I know there has been a ton of debat on the Fire Knights, those New Zeland helmets and such.

I am not trying to start that all over again, so please refrain from giving me a traditionalist lecture, I have heard it a 1000 times.

I just want to know how good HERO helmets are and what draw backs they have.

Thanks.
    -Brotherhood: I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
    -Mistakes: It could be that the purpose of you life is to serve as a warning to others.

-Adversity: That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

-Despair: Its always darkest before it goes Pitch Black.

MembersZone Subscriber

What you gonna do when you go into a real hot fire and your shield melts or warps and you cant get it to go up or down?
    After I'm dead I'd rather have people ask why I have no monument than why I have one

Official Minister of Philosophy of the IACOJ

IACOJ Probie Crusty of the year 2003

12TruckIrons - How are you going to have the faceshield down - and wear a SCBA facepiece?

You can't. So that argument doesn't hold water.

Moreover - A faceshield on a fire helmet is pointless - considering that your SCBA facepiece meets the same ANSI Z87 standard that protective eyewear does?!
    Marc

"In Omnia Paratus"

Member - IACOJ
    "Got Crust?"

-- The opinions presented here are my own; and are not those of any organization that I belong to, or work for.

Originally posted by 12TruckIrons
    What you gonna do when you go into a real hot fire and your shield melts or warps and you cant get it to go up or down?

Procede to the nearest exit with greatest possible haste. While reapeating over and over DAMN HOT DMAN HOT DAMN HOT!!!

As McDonald said, with the face shield on the HERO you cant have it down when you are wearing a SCBA facepice anyway.

Some will say that your facepiece is then wide open for damage, but they pretty much are anyway with borkes and because it seems that most guys dond bring down their faceshield with a traditional helmet anyway.

Heck, I see a lot of helmets these days with eye goggles on elastic straps. These offer no protection for you SCBA facepiece at all, and IMO are a more of a pain in the but then a slide down shield.

They must work for the Eruo guys, they to hav hot fires but they seem to do just fine with their space helmets.
    -Brotherhood: I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
    -Mistakes: It could be that the purpose of you life is to serve as a warning to others.

Forum Member

I would never have one for the simple fact they are UGLY!
    Brian Cook
    Asst. Chief

MembersZone Subscriber

So what you are saying is that there is no chance that the heat could not be intense enough to melt the face shield either in or out of the helmet? Ive melted all parts of my composite helmets before in several different fires in training and on the job, so maybe im jaded but I'll just stick with my goggles and bourkes. Also if you look close at the pic posted you see that part of the visor is protruding from the helmet, if that as far up as it goes? If so then my arguement holds water.
    After I'm dead I'd rather have people ask why I have no monument than why I have one

Official Minister of Philosophy of the IACOJ

IACOJ Probie Crusty of the year 2003

The protruding part (if its like the Pacific helmets model) is the lip that you use to pull the shield up or down.

have a look at http://pacifichelmets.co.nz/datasheets/f7edtken.html for an example.

The Visor conforms to NFPA standards and is 3 mm thick.

Now if I happen to notice molten polycarbonate dripping past my eyes, I "MIGHT" start to think DAMN HOT DAMN HOT DAMN HOT!!!

So you regularly melt helmets? as Samson asked, how the heck does the rubber band holding your giggles on hold up?

PS I have stuffed a few visors on the Pacific helmets, but NEVER managed to melt one of the buggers.
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

How often do you clean your faceshield on your helmet? I mean with windex or some other glass cleaner - so that you can actually see through it. I know hundreds of firefighters that wear a dirty helmet as a badge of courage.

Bourkes vs. Faceshields -- now there is an old debate. You know what - neither is going to do you a damn bit of good in a fire. You know why - because they will be pushed up- and because you SCBA facepiece has an ANSI Z87 rating - meaning - it is rated as eye protection.

When it comes to eye protection, I carry a pair of safety glasses on/in my turnout gear. Sure - I have gone through several pairs of safety glasses -- but how often do you go to your equipment officer to get a new (meaning you can see through it) faceshield when yours gets smoked?

12TruckIrons - there is plenty of heat in a fire to go around. Whether you are wearing a 'fighter type' helmet - or Tactical Tupperware - or a traditional helmet. But you are just as likely to melt the plastic faceshield / bourkes - as you are to melt the visor on a fighter type helmet.
    What happens when you melt your faceshield/bourkes on your helmet and you can't get them to go down???
    Marc

"In Omnia Paratus"

Member - IACOJ
    "Got Crust?"

-- The opinions presented here are my own; and are not those of any organization that I belong to, or work for.

Forum Member

Leather forever

I wouln't have one myself, but to each his own. If someone likes it I say go for it.

As for dirty face shields and bourkes, yeah, they get pretty useless and who has the energy or money to get new ones all the time. I tried cleaning my FS, but there was just too much stuff that must have stuck to it when it was soft, cause I never could keep it/get it clean. So I fianally just got some bourkes, and seperate goggles and settled with that.

My opinion is that goggles in the pockets are the way to go. For what it's worth.
    http://www.sanantoniofire.org

IACOJ
    Got Crust?

We lucky few, ... we band of brothers

Originally posted by AsstChief11
    I would never have one for the simple fact they are UGLY!
    Well, I am no prize myself, no sence in trying to look cool in leather.

Originally posted by 33motor
    I wouln't have one myself, but to each his own. If someone likes it I say go for it.

As for dirty face shields and bourkes, yeah, they get pretty useless and who has the energy or money to get new ones all the time. I tried cleaning my FS, but there was just too much stuff that must have stuck to it when it was soft, cause I never could keep it/get it clean. So I fianally just got some bourkes, and seperate goggles and settled with that.

My opinion is that goggles in the pockets are the way to go. For what it's worth.
    Userstandable, space helmets are not for everyone. I am a technology junky so I like this kind of stuff. Nothing wrong with leather and traditional helmets, I just like high tech stuff.

I agree totaly on the face shield issue. I never use mine, hell, I cant even see through it. It is incredibly sratched up, a bit warped, and definatly dirty since I dont use it I dont usualy clean it. I rely on my eye protection certifed Bole sun glasses half the time!

I am hopeing that with one of the Eruo style helmets (HERO, Fire Knight, etc...) that my face shield will stay in better shape and stay cleaner since it will spend most of its time retracted. Also, in the realy sever condistions you will be on air so your SCBA facepiece will be protecting your face while the helmet faceshield is safely tucked away. If it gets hot enough inside the helmet to melt the faceshield then I am screwed anyway. My hood is not going to protect me from that kind of heat. This also applied to any other helmet, if it is hot enough to melt polycarbonate inside of you helmet you are in deep doo doo.

Currently I have an old school MSA helmet that truely is UGLY!! I havent seen many of these around, and I dont know when, why, or where from our VFD got these things. They are sort of Euro looking, fiberglass, dome type, with a rubber tail that acts like a traditional helmets tail end to direct water away. They have a full face shield that is external and swings down. They have a funky buckle system, a metal hoop that clicks over a nob on the side of the helmet. I cant seem to find a picture on the internet since I cant seem to recall the name of the helmet, except that they are MSA.

I also have a MSA VGaurd all modified and set up for wildland firs. It has a hot shield ultra shroud, googles on elastic retainers, lots of stickers, and velcrow for ataching flashlights. Another thing to not is that while the vast majority of wildfire helmets use the goggles on elastic system, there are alsway some problems. First thing you have to do is wrap your goggles in a old sock to keep them from getting scratched up. Then you have to try and keep them clean in a very dirty environment. What happens most often is that the goggle only end up protecting the from of the helmet while the FF used his sunglasses as eye protection. The face shield set up on euro helmets should help fix this problem.

This problem can also apply to the goggles on structure fire helmets. This seems to be getting more popular, but IMO it is mostly going to be protecting your leather helmet shield. One trip into a hot house fire easily could make thse goggles useless.

I have two helmets keep track of and they take up to much room in my jump bag. I want to find a good dual purpose helemt.

What I plan on doing is getting a HERO, putting my hotshield ultra shroud on it, and useing if for both structure and wildfire. The hot shield ulstra shroud would hang down like a Japanese Samuri style fire helmet when used with an SCBA. This should give another welcome layer of protection in addition to my sock hood.

When used on wildfire, the drop down face shield should interface well with my hotshield smoke filter mask. The hotshield makes it very difficult to wear goggles, so the face shield should fit the bill, along with my Boles.

Here is a Gallet H2 with a hotshield and ultra shroud

I realy like that set up, only I have a full sized ultra shroud. I like those better because you dont need the hot shield for full face coverage, and you can always just velcrom the bottom of the shroud to let your hotshield breath.

The H2 is no a structure rated helmet IIRC, just for wildfire. They lack the drop down faceshield also.

Hot Shield Website.
    http://www.hotshield.com/1/hotshield_hs2.htm

Honestly, can you look me right in the eye and tell me that his helmet is ugly?

http://web.tiscali.it/markcollector/immsiti/ANero.jpg

That is probly the coolest friggin helmet I have ever laid eyes on!

At this website there is a small pic of what I currently have, mine yellow, a MSA Birgade hlemet, from the mid to late 80's I presume.

http://www.geocities.com/firehelmuk
    Last edited by SamsonFCDES; 11-07-2003 at 12:45 PM.

Here is what I ment by the samuri effect of that the ultra shroud should give.

That set up should give protection approaching that of a Reed Hood.

Carbon X, the Ultra shrould material, is some very impresive stuff.

Ah Ha!

Found these pictures of the MSA brigade helmet (at least I think that is what they are called), this one is Dutch.

We have a number of thse in yellow. I dont know how my VFD came about getting them, but they have served well for over a decase, some probly 15 years.

That is probly why I am more open minded to getting a space helmet, I have been useing a Euro helmet all my VFD career and at first I didnt even realise it.

I actulay like my helmet better then the bullard firedomes and other MSA tactical tuperware we have.
    Last edited by SamsonFCDES; 11-07-2003 at 12:37 PM.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SamsonFCDES
    Honestly, can you look me right in the eye and tell me that his helmet is ugly?

http://web.tiscali.it/markcollector/immsiti/ANero.jpg

EDIT: This pic is forbiden, you will have to copy and past the url onto an address bar in a new window. It is worth it, probly the collest helmet since Dark Helmet in Spaceballs...
    Last edited by SamsonFCDES; 11-07-2003 at 02:25 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber ullrichk's Avatar

A comment on the Rosenbauer:

The black edge banding looks suspiciously like the stuff on my first helmet (morning pride fiberglass, early 80's vintage). And it didn't stay on long. I'd want to check that out thoroughly before investing in one.

I wouldn't mind trying out one of the jet fighter pilot helmets myself, but I'm not going to plunk down any of my hard earned money for one without a chance to evaluate it in some live fire training first.

Who made the helmet that elicited the "spaceballs" comparison? I don't think I've seen one before.

And to appease all the traditionalists, I have a leather lid (that I love) on my mantle - I'm just not allowed to use it in my present department.
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

a ship in a harbor is safe. . . but that's not what ships are for

Currently I have an old school MSA helmet that truely is UGLY!! I havent seen many of these around, and I dont know when, why, or where from our VFD got these things. They are sort of Euro looking, fiberglass, dome type, with a rubber tail that acts like a traditional helmets tail end to direct water away. They have a full face shield that is external and swings down. They have a funky buckle system, a metal hoop that clicks over a nob on the side of the helmet. I cant seem to find a picture on the internet since I cant seem to recall the name of the helmet, except that they are MSA.
    Is that the one that looks like a motorcycle helmet with a rear brim that looks like it's held on by snaps? Maybe even has a small front brim that looks like it's snapped on too? If so, that's not just ugly.. it's fugly. LOL, if you have to wear one of those, I say you get anything you want! ASAP! You've earned it!

I have a pic of those but my scanner is in a landfill somewhere... where it belongs... cursed evil thing! So, I can't show the helmet I'm talking about, but it sounds a lot like it.
    http://www.sanantoniofire.org

IACOJ
    Got Crust?

We lucky few, ... we band of brothers

Originally posted by ullrichk
    A comment on the Rosenbauer:

The black edge banding looks suspiciously like the stuff on my first helmet (morning pride fiberglass, early 80's vintage). And it didn't stay on long. I'd want to check that out thoroughly before investing in one.
    I will check into that, probly could be fixed with super glue?

I wouldn't mind trying out one of the jet fighter pilot helmets myself, but I'm not going to plunk down any of my hard earned money for one without a chance to evaluate it in some live fire training first.
    I like to collect fire gear anyway, I have a budding helmet collection the way it is. I have tried to talk vendors out of a couple of demo Fire Knights with no luck so far. My FD is considering getting some varios helmet to try out, Pacific, FK and others that I cant think of right now.

Who made the helmet that elicited the "spaceballs" comparison? I don't think I've seen one before.
    There are a few that can give you a Dark Helmet impressoin if you use some imagnation. I always thought that a black Euro style hlmet with a Carins Air facepice did was a spaceballsy look.

And to appease all the traditionalists, I have a leather lid (that I love) on my mantle - I'm just not allowed to use it in my present department.
    Why is that? Does the leather lid fail to pass the standard or something, or is a uniform issue?

Originally posted by 33motor

Is that the one that looks like a motorcycle helmet with a rear brim that looks like it's held on by snaps? Maybe even has a small front brim that looks like it's snapped on too? If so, that's not just ugly.. it's fugly. LOL, if you have to wear one of those, I say you get anything you want! ASAP! You've earned it!

That souds a lot like it. No front brim though. The rubber rear brim is seperate from the fiberglass dome, but there are no snaps visible. I am pretty sure that the pics on page one, the Dutch helmets, are the same model as the one I have now.

You are right though, I need a new helmet, badly!

Thread Information