MembersZone Subscriber

Default NFPA standard for fire helmets

Why is it that NFPA has a standard that you have to have goggles or a face shield attached to your helmet. Well I am not a big fan of the face shield so I chose to have the goggles. The thing that I have noticed is when you attach them to your helmet #1 they melt the first fire you go in and #2 they stretch out so much they wont fit you after about a week. Could anyone enlighten me on why this is this way.
    Thanks, Matt Williams

MembersZone Subscriber

Well the obvious reason is that the NFPA wants you to be safe and they know that you aren't going to use your goggles if they are stuck in your turnout gear pocket.
    To solve your problems I'll recommend two solutions.
    To keep the goggle strap from stretching out I'd recommend a different goggle. I have used the ESS structural goggles that use attachemnt points that you mount on the sides of your helmet. This way the strap doesn't have to stretch all the way around.
    To prevent your goggles from melting I've used a nomex "goggle garage" that fits on the rear brim. It covers your goggles and seals with velcro, it works great and is fairly cheap.
    Try thefirestore.com for both or check things out locally.

Protective Economist

Default Re: NFPA standard for fire helmets

Originally posted by mattywagon
    Why is it that NFPA has a standard that you have to have goggles or a face shield attached to your helmet. Well I am not a big fan of the face shield so I chose to have the goggles. The thing that I have noticed is when you attach them to your helmet #1 they melt the first fire you go in and #2 they stretch out so much they wont fit you after about a week. Could anyone enlighten me on why this is this way.
    Thanks, Matt Williams
    Believe it or not, firefighters and fire chiefs are requesting that the goggles/visors stay. Apparently, most of the bosses are concerned that if they don't have SOMETHING on the helmet, guys will be lazy and use NOTHING during overhaul or ventilation or extrication.

A system I found great for me was a new set of removable goggles. The helmet comes NFPA compliant. However, the goggles are removable for live fire training or when I was on the first-in company at a worker. Yes, that is then a non-compliant helmet. However, it kept the goggles in good shape for extrications or when we had to open a roof with saws.

I am not encouraging you to violate NFPA standards or your FDs protocols; I merely am sharing what worked for me.

The photo at the top of this page shows the removable goggle system:
    http://www.bullard.com/products/Fire/structural/UST.cfm

MembersZone Subscriber

OK THANKS FOR THE INPUT..HERES MY NEXT QUESTION WHAT IS THE DIFFRENCE BETWEEN THE BOURKES, FACE SHIELD, AND GOGGLES? WHY IS IT THAT THE BOURKES AREN'T NFPA COMPLIANT?

Forum Member

Because Bourkes don't protect you from anything. They are too small and too far away from your eyes to protect them. There are too small to protect your face. They are simply "cool" looking items that serve no actual purpose.

Face shields allow too much of a gap at the bottom so items can still fly up into your eyes.

Goggles only protect your eyes and offer no face protection.

That leaves the closet to safety being face shield to protect the face and goggles to protect the eyes.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Thread Information