Default Darwin Award Nominee, with Fire, from my district on Wednesday

Gee, what I miss when at work!

Ever see this many power company guys at one incident before?

And why is this guy not smiling?

Wait, what is that glow way up the powerlines...

Yep, something's burning!

Ok, 2 hours have gone by, the high-voltage three phase line that runs from our high-tension substation to the next town over has been de-energized...we can go to work now:

With State Police supervision, of course...

Not much left to salvage --

But quite a bit of overhaul!

But always remember 1st rule of overhaul: Don't do by hand what John Deere invented machines to do!

Today's Darwin Award Honorable Mention was unloading a dump trailer load of "compost" at a, um, Reindeer Farm (yes, that's what the owner say's he's building).

And with the trailer upright, had pulled forward while under high lines.

DAHM jumped clear of the truck, admiting he was really lucky since, "My legs where all tingling when I hit the ground!"

Initial response was Engine Tank 190, Rescue 490, and Service 190. They stood by for about 2 hours till power was secured, enjoying the show like seeing hydraulic lines blow so the trailer came down, and one of the saddle tanks letting go in a fire ball. At time of extinguishment they where joined by ET 290 for additional water.

Scene was left in the custody of DEP Haz-Mat awaiting a contractor to handle the remaining contaminated diesel fuel. Kinda wonder if they were curious at all about the compost being dumped at a Reindeer Farm by an out-of-state owner...
    Last edited by Dalmatian90; 11-07-2003 at 01:19 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking

only thing that could have been better is if someone had thought to bring marshmellows.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking You got off lucky..............

In my part of the world, the power company would have 3 times as many people, 1/2 in suits and ties (or dresses) and hard hats. The FD response would have been 8-10 engines, some ladders, couple of heavy rescues, bunch of ambulances, lotta chiefs, no cops. Looks like you did OK doing it your way. Stay Safe....
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Sometimes it's better to be at work

Neat pictures Dal. At least you aren't related to the guy.

Earlier this summer, my dad was using a backhoe to do some cleanup around the mobile home park he owns **insert Alabama joke here** when he caught a guidewire with the bucket and managed to knock down (as in to the ground, not off-line) not one or two, but three sets of transformers. The falling transformers were accompanied by bright lights, loud booms, several small fires, and numerous 911 calls.

I sat at work 30 miles away, blissfully unaware of events until I get a call from one of our guys who opens the conversation with "Guess where we've been..."

Now, if the lights even flicker I get "Your family isn't landscaping today, are they?" Man, firefighters can be brutal!

Forum Member

Default Re: Sometimes it's better to be at work

Originally posted by EFD840
    Neat pictures Dal. At least you aren't related to the guy.

Earlier this summer, my dad was using a backhoe to do some cleanup around the mobile home park he owns **insert Alabama joke here** when he caught a guidewire with the bucket and managed to knock down (as in to the ground, not off-line) not one or two, but three sets of transformers. The falling transformers were accompanied by bright lights, loud booms, several small fires, and numerous 911 calls.

I sat at work 30 miles away, blissfully unaware of events until I get a call from one of our guys who opens the conversation with "Guess where we've been..."

Now, if the lights even flicker I get "Your family isn't landscaping today, are they?" Man, firefighters can be brutal!
    MMM reminds me of my father . He would pull that, and he was a firefighter once.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear" - Ambrose Redmoon
    “It’s like Lego’s for firefighters.” Robert James III talking about hose appliances.
    "Police, Firefighters and EMS are the most collectively dysfunctional group of people in existence and only we understand each other!"

Dispatch Dweller
    On the way to the station. Really. It's 12 kilometers away and there's traffic.

We had a fun hydro-related incident in our town a few weeks back.

It was about 3am and us dispatchers were sitting about, when the lights, clock, TVs, etc., all flickered. Power stayed on, so I went around to investigate the building, and found we were still on city power - the UPS kicked in for just a second, and the generator never even fired up.

But all the neighborhood to the north and east was dark.

When I came back inside, we were getting catalogued alarms (automatic fire alarms) for the local area, which is not unusual during a "power bump". So we put out those calls and continued on with our night.

It was an hour or two later when the police asked for our assistance at a "traffic incident"..

Seems a house-moving firm had been taking a 1 1/2 story house along the designated route and snagged a power line... In the dark, they didn't see it... however, when the 6 power poles came down and the entire neighborhood, all the traffic lights, and everything else in the area, all went dark, they realized something was up...

I got off work at 7am, the traffic lights were still out along about 20 blocks of a major road, and Streets was trying to find enough generators to run the lights temporarily while the power company tried to figure out how to disentangle the house and put the power lines back up.

Looked freaky seeing the neighborhood so dark..

--j.

Forum Member

The FD response would have been 8-10 engines, some ladders, couple of heavy rescues, bunch of ambulances, lotta chiefs, no cops. Looks like you did OK doing it your way. Stay Safe....
    I have just one question

WHY??

When all said and done it's a truck on fine....

MembersZone Subscriber

Dal:
    Two questions.
    1) Who is your camera guy? You seem to get hold of some amazing photos!
    2) Were you able to bill the owner for "extraordinary expense" for this one? Do you charge by the hour or IQ points X 1000 = $$$$$$?
    Whoops; that was three. Fair enough. I'll stand pat!
    Stay safe, Big Dog.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

Forum Member

Darwin was right.And given time enough some of them will thin out.7500 plus Volts"My feet tingle"Nah,YOU THINK?Courts should start awarding money to SMART people and FINE the dumb ones to pay the rewards.T.C.

Forum Member

We had a very simular incident downtown here where the dump truck pulled down the wires and the pole they were attached to onto himself, another dump, and an excavator. I arrived on scene with Resq14 along with a thin response since we had another call going at the same time. We had the driver of the 1st truck and the 2nd truck still in their vehicles. The driver of the excavator was gone but we knew he had to be involved as his bucket was in the bed of the 2nd dump truck and wires tangled both. 14 asked the foreman where the operator was and was told he had jumped clear. 14 told the foreman he should have stayed inside the rig and the foreman shot back something to the effect of "he knew what he was doing, we're experts" at which 14 looks over at the two trucks and says "I can see that."
    ______________________________ __________________
    If you are new to posting please CLICK HERE for an essential lesson
    ______________________________ __________________
    A bad day in the boat is better than a good day in the office. And in my case the office is a boat!

IACOJ Fire Boat 1

55 Years & Still Rolling

Talking

Originally posted by Dave1105
    I have just one question

WHY??

When all said and done it's a truck on fine....

Well, when you got it, you use it. Our whole attitude is different about responding to calls, we're in a never-ending contest to see how many runs we can rack up. At 9,137 last year, we were only 10th in the County. On the other hand, extra alarms are rare, with a heavy first alarm assignment, the need for additional help just doesn't develop. Stay Safe....
    In memory of

IACOJ Budget Analyst

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Last month we had a Darwin nominee present his application. Our department was sent to one of our low income housing projects for a possible structure fire, smoke coming from the building. Our first due unit arrived about a minute later to find that the cause of the heavy smoke condition was one our city's fine residents heating motor oil on the stove. Apparently he was under the impression that the oil needed to be heated before he added it to his car's engine.
    Mark
    Firefighter / Paramedic
    IAFF Local 10

55 Years & Still Rolling

Talking Well..............

Mark, be thankful he wasn't heating his Gasoline.

And, to my fellow Bad A** Dodge owner, 90 Engines, 26 Ladders, 14 Heavy Squads, 48 Ambulances, 12 Medic units, Lotta support stuff, and about a gazillion Chiefs. The way it works, the first three stations on the assignment MAY run additional units IF, 1. The unit that is dispatched is responding and, 2. additional units that wish to run have the required staffing on board. Also, quite often there will be a unit "available on the street" (that is, out of quarters on business) and they will request permission to respond to a call that is nearby. Some stations rarely run any extra equipment, others do it several times a day. Stay Safe....
    In memory of

IACOJ Budget Analyst

www.gdvfd18.com

1) Who is your camera guy? You seem to get hold of some amazing photos!

Photographer that day was a 40+/- year veteran who usually does accountability & other light duties. Camera was our 4 year old Sony digital, which is no mega-pixel but does a decent job.

2) Were you able to bill the owner for "extraordinary expense" for this one?
    It's rare for us to bill. Haz-Mat supplies stuff is billed by State DEP since we host a trailer for them.

We have billed in situations such as, "Since you where told it was an illegal burn yesterday, what makes you think it would be legal today?"

7500 plus Volts"My feet tingle"
    Heard it's a 23,000 volt line! Truck snagged two of the three phase hots plus the neutral.

On the other hand, extra alarms are rare, with a heavy first alarm assignment, the need for additional help just doesn't develop.
    We're kinda same boat here.

Had a house fire last night (chimney fire --> partition --> exterior wall got going). Standard 1st Alarm assignment, which had four Engine-Tanks, 3 Engines, 1 Ladder, 3 Rescues, and 1 Service truck. Only two trucks actually worked the fire -- the Service I drove did the knockdown with 15 gallons of water, and the 1st in ET used another 15 gallons and a couple cans for overhaul plus provided ladders, lighting, and PPV fan. Poor fire never had a chance!

Kinda nice having a structure fire whumped so fast that it's not worth hooking up to a hydrant afterwards to top off...especially the temps where in the mid-teens! It's also nice knowing the equipment was there that had we found a bigger house with more fire going that we would've had the resources to make an aggressive attack both in terms of the water and manpower that could've been thrown at it right away.

Forum Member

Default 7500 plus

Dal,Note I said 7500 PLUS.Around here,the higher the voltage the higher the wire.In most of my response area,you COULD NOT hit a 23,000 with a trailer dump the wires are much too high.Amazing the driver didn't get baked.T.C.

Forum Member

Well, when you got it, you use it. Our whole attitude is different about responding to calls, we're in a never-ending contest to see how many runs we can rack up. At 9,137 last year, we were only 10th in the County. On the other hand, extra alarms are rare, with a heavy first alarm assignment, the need for additional help just doesn't develop. Stay Safe....
    Okay..... I guess if you guys are just itching to go stand around and do nothing then... by all means, go ahead. It just seems totally frivilous to me, surely those firefighters would be better off back at the station working on community safety initatives, rather than standing around looking at a fire....

Each to their own I guess.

I do have one question though, what response code do your additional units respond? Lights and Bells? How do you define these boundries? Is it up to the responding unit to decide?

Because IMO there is no justification to have that many appliances responding on the road with lights and bells..... Try justifying to the coroner why Engine X crashed into Ma and Pa Average's sedan killing all on board... with "Well, you see, we were trying to beat the response tally of our neighbouring department...."... I don't think it'd work...

Thread Information