Thread: Flag

Forum Member

Default Flag

Does it matter which way the blue on the flag faces on your right shoulder when on uniforms?
    Thanks
    Firefighter/ EMT-Basic
    Proud Soldier in the Iowa Army National Guard
    GLT 11/25/2005

All Gave Some
    Some Gave All
    Never Forget the Sacrifices Made

These are my opinions and not those of my dept.

MembersZone Subscriber

Yes!

The blue field is to be closest to your heart, therefore blue field is towards the front.
    Capt. K

Forum Member

I thought that the blue was suppose to be over the heart when you are looking at it.
    Firefighter/ EMT-Basic
    GLT 11/25/2005

All Gave Some
    Some Gave All

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by firebeach406
    Yes!

The blue field is to be closest to your heart, therefore blue field is towards the front.
    Nice try. Blue field always is to front (as when viewing flag while it is marching past you on parade). So right shoulder patch flag looks backward/blue field forward on shoulder. See photos of Iraq Army BDU's US flag on right shoulder. Subject of considerable debate/research/decision in past within the military on the subject.

makes good girls go bad

The "front" of the flag should be pointed to where you are facing. It comes from the old days, so you are "marching" towards the battle, not retreating.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

MembersZone Subscriber

I always thought that the blue was to be to the front. Most departments around here put them on the other way and I have never understood why.
    "We shouldn't be opening firehouses in Baghdad and closing them in New York City."

IACOJ

Forum Member

In my FD, we have the flag patch in both directions. Veterans of miltary service have the blue field to the front.

How about those FD's who have no flag patches at all?
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Default which way to face the flag????

WE had quiet a 'discussion' about this, did some research and found many contradictory statements, articles. I always thought as BLSboy posted stars to front when marching, flag moving forward not retreating.

I guess since both ways are done, either is acceptable, as long as displayed with respect, kept clean, etc. Of course it would be nice if all (at least) in each company went the same way, every time we get a uniform order, they seem to go the other way from the last...

(should now be CharlieRFD,past,Pres.), but I've had this screen name for so long, I'm keeping it..., besides I'm Deputy Chief now.
    BE SAFE OUT THERE
    NEVER FORGET
    GOD BLESS THE 343 AND 60, MAY GOD GRANT HIS PEACE TO THEIR LOVED ONES.
    IACOJ
    F.O.O.P.

Forum Member

How about those FD's who have no flag patches at all?
    I think no flag looks tachy. Just my opinion.
    Firefighter/ EMT-Basic
    GLT 11/25/2005

All Gave Some
    Some Gave All

Forum Member

Well the Flag Code doesn't say anythiny about it faceing one way or the other on the shoulder.

www.usflag.org/us.code36.html
    Firefighter/ EMT-Basic
    GLT 11/25/2005

All Gave Some
    Some Gave All

makes good girls go bad

What I posted is the US military Standard of uniform flags..... I am a C/Ssgt in US Air Force JROTC, so that is something we are taught.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

I believe that the Stars in the upper right-hand corner of your flag indicates a military unit advancing on enemy troops or occupying a hostile area of operation. Otherwise, the correct way to depict your beautiful flag is with the Stars in the upper left-hand corner (when viewed). This is also true when hanging your flag vertically.
    As a Canadian firefighter, we follow a standard for uniform protocol, which recommends we show our fire department Maltese on both shoulders. When in doubt however, I would recommend following your gut and going with your military background. Hope this is of some help, brother.http://www.whitehorsecombat.com

I was taught by my GrandFathers and Father that the stars are always in front because "these colors don't run!".

Forum Member

Go here http://www.usflag.org/toc.html

or
    here http://www.legion.org/ and click "Flag" on the left hand side.

I belive the latter deals with the unifrom issue.

46 Truck, look at the right side of the tail on Air Force One.

MembersZone Subscriber

The union faces forward on vehicles, when on your shoulder it is forward or toward the heart. So on the right sleeve the union would be in the upper right corner. It looks backwards to most because most places do it wrong.
    http://www.ushistory.org/betsy/flagetiq.html
    Wear it proudly, the uniform requirements are about half way down
    Last edited by ADSNWFLD; 11-09-2003 at 08:56 AM.

Early Adopter

Originally posted by VolFFJohn
    I think no flag looks tachy. Just my opinion.
    I disagree... and think to each his own. Many police, fire & EMS departments do not wear the flag of the United States on their uniform. And I think that fact means absolutely nothing.

tack·y
    (1) Neglected and in a state of disrepair: a tacky old cabin in the woods. (2) Lacking style or good taste; tawdry: tacky clothes. (3) Distasteful or offensive; tasteless: a tacky remark.

Forum Member

Debate is 'the' word for sure. It is very debatable.

We have worn our American flags on our right sleeve in my dept. for years with the blue field to the back. The proper display of the flag as you are viewing it, is always with the blue field to the upper right when displayed either vertically or horizontally. The rub comes when the flag is sewn onto the right sleeve and is displayed as 'proper'. The flag appears to be in retreat - not advancing into battle. The military utilizes a 'revers' displayed flag to counteract this notion. We have recently done so also.

As a couple of folks have already eluded to, the U.S. Flage Code makes no differenciation as to whether a flag's is in so called 'retreat'.

You all might note that the Boy Scouts of America adheres to the covenants of the U.S. Flag Code. Their American Flags are worn on the right sleeve and they are displayed as 'proper'. Yes, for some, their flags appear to be in retreat and probably have been since 1910! Their flags are not worn on the shoulder closest to their heart nor does the blue field even point in that direction. Their handshake is done with their left hand, because 'it' is closest to their heart. Over the years I've been a part of many a raising and retirement of the colors as well as permanent retirement (burning) of our flag in Scouting. They generally do it right. On more than one occassion I have wished that someone had taken the time to educate our probationary folks to the proper respect for the flag before they got to my station.

I don't think you can wear it wrong on your uniform so long as it's not upside down.

Jon Pearl - St. Petersburg

Thread Information