MembersZone Subscriber

Question Can't We All Just Get Along

This is crazy.I work for a small 4 station paid department in the mid-west. We are surrounded by small vollie dept's with very low funding. Our dept is union. The vollies work for free (no pay for runs, training, etc.) for the most part. I (uh-oh maybe I should not say) volunteer for one of these small vollie depts. I feel I can lend a hand from time to time. This doesn't mean I carry my vollie pager everywhere. I do have a life outside th FD and we all should. So, I come on Firehouse and read all thess articles about "smoke and mirrors...." then I read a thread about a guy blamming the union for this. I read about who wears what helmet, gear, socks, and everyone is different and right in their OPINION.

Isn't there a bigger picture? Why can't we quit bashing each other? Why do we have paid and vollies going back and forth? (maybe some of you East coast guys can explain...this is where I hear the Paid vs Vollie the most) Surely there are more relevant topics to go back and forth on. Of course, then we wouldn't have all the exciting "bashing going on". Let's face it. We are all in this PROFFESSION to do basically the same thing. RIGHT? CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG???????????????????????????????????????

Forum Member

The thought process that I've been told is that paid/full time is professional, and call or volunteer is not. Professional describes how the job is done, and not the kind of employee the town has. I've known people that think because of being full time, they do things better than others with equal or more experience in a volunteer community. Maybe somewhere in history a volunteer with no experience or training did something stupid in front of a career firefighter, and that's where the rivalry began. I'm also told among unions that some disapprove of call departments because it's taking away union jobs. I stay away from that argument best I can. Hopefully others will add some good insight for your question, and remember that this isn't about which is better! Take care
    ~Kevin
    Firefighter/Paramedic
    --^v--^v--^v--^v--
    Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong
    Dennis Miller

Forum Member

kghemtp, staying away from this topic on these forums is like staying away from a 500lb gorilla in a closet!

Forum Member

Quite frankly, if everyone "got along" all of the time, this would be a very boring world. Differing opinions, ideas and beliefs are what keep things interesting. If you don't like what someone has to say, don't listen, after all, I know there isn't anyone holding a gun to my head forcing me to read and respond to certain threads; I make that choice and so does everyone else here. If you choose to let things bother you then it's a personal problem. I rather like the variety of opinions and personalities found here, while I don't always agree with everything said and presented, and I don't necessarily like everyone who posts, the differences can make for interesting reading. I don't really care one way or the other what anyone says or thinks of me and what I do or don't do; I can look myself in the eye each morning and that's good enough for me.

Man hasn't gotten along since the beginning of time, what makes you think that's going to change now?
    To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the world.

IACOJ-WOT proud

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!

Forum Member

Y'all are right, and I have to say many great discussions happen when people have different points of view, different experiences, and different reasons for the way they are. We can disagree peacefully, respecting others' ideas, but I think things get out of hand when people launch personal attacks of differing opinions. It's far too often that one short fuse gets a group throwing insults back & forth. I have been guilty of it, but I get so much more enjoyment seeing the steam pour out of someone's ears when I DON'T react to something in an animated, irrational way! Take care out there, folks
    ~Kevin
    Firefighter/Paramedic
    --^v--^v--^v--^v--
    Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong
    Dennis Miller

Thread Information