Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Expanded Polystyrene Panels & Fires

Have any of you come across EPS panels on fire?

If so, how did you combat it?

Do you use any type of saw to access the inside of these panels- if so what sort?
    Luke

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking Thought You'd Never Ask........

There is a firm that manufactures those things near Baltimore, Maryland. I had the good (or bad, your choice) fortune to respond to a 3 alarm fire at that facility. A lot of the fire was in panels stacked flat, outside in a large paved open area. We had a tough night dealing with the stuff, with hidden fire in a lot of concealed spaces between the panels. If you get a fire in these panels, Ventilate, Ventilate, Ventilate. Large amounts of water will help too. We treated our fire like a Hazmat operation. Contained runoff, Rotated crews etc. Stay Safe....
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Question

Iím interested; I donít know what these are. Could someone please explain? Is it a type of prefabricated building material?

Iím interested; I donít know what these are. Could someone please explain? Is it a type of prefabricated building material?
    Yes. Here is a link to a website I found on a company that manufactures them- there's heaps of these manufacturers and a lot buildings with these panels in their construction. (I've found them mainly in cold rooms, laboratories, etc)
    CLICK HERE FOR EPS PANEL INFO

The concern is that if a fire occurs inside them, without a thermal imaging camera or similar, you may not know where the fire is.

It has been suggested that to combat a fire, we would need some form of cutting tool to get inside the panel and then flood it with water.

Also some concerns raised as to whether the fumes and smoke could be toxic.

Our building (Laboratories) has 6metre high walls and the ceiling made from these. They're two pieces of thin guaged steel alloy or simialr and are filled with this expanded polystyrene to approx. 100mm
    Luke

Forum Member

LUTAN1 - Re some concerns about toxicity. The catalysts used to expand these foams are cyanide compounds. The products of combustion include hydrogen cyanide gas

I hear what you're saying georlow, but some manufacturers are saying that there are no toxins given off.

This is the problem with this sort of stuff- I tend to agree with you, in that I understood that there was some pretty nasty boogers in this stuff when it was burning, but others say that it's not a problem....
    Luke

Forum Member

Lutan1 - Who knows, the manufacturers may be right about their particular version of the product...Probably not something we want to learn through experience though...We need to be masked up anywhere near this stuff

Thread Information